Say No to Tobacco!
Diseases Caused by Tobacco Products
- From all the poisons and chemicals a person breathes in when they smoke, they can get atherosclerosis a disease that can cause their arteries to harden by plaque build-up; it can cause a heart attack or stroke.
- From cigarettes a person can get emphysema which can cause the air sacs in their lungs to lose their elasticity. This causes a person to have a extremely hard time breathing.
- By using chewing tobacco you can get leukoplakia which causes pre-cancerous sores can form on your gums (looks like a leathery, white patch) you can also develop "hairy tongue".
- A person can develop bronchitis which leads to inflammation of the bronchial tubes; causes coughing and soreness in the chest.
Some of the Many Poisons in Cigarettes
- Butane- used in lighter fluid
- Ammonia- a household cleaner
- Arsenic- used as rat poison and to make bullets harder
- Polonium- radioactive
- Carbon Monoxide- a deadly gas that is odorless
- Formaldehyde- used to preserve dead bodies
- Cadmium- used in batteries
- DDT- a banned insecticide
- Lead- used to be found in pencils
Dangers of Smoking Cigarettes
- Cigarette smoking causes reduced circulation by narrowing the blood vessels and puts smokers at risk of developing peripheral vascular disease.
- The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 443,000 deaths each year in the United States.
Smoking causes the following cancers
- Acute myeloid leukemia
- Bladder cancer
- Cancer of the cervix
- Cancer of the esophagus
- Kidney cancer
- Cancer of the voice box
- Lung cancer
- Cancer of the mouth
- Pancreatic cancer
- Cancer of the throat
- Stomach cancer