PRISM Scholars Newsletter
April 20, 2022
Voice of Inspiration
For PRISM Scholars at Century College, Minneapolis College, and Normandale Community College:
As PRISM Scholars, if you transfer to Augsburg, you will automatically be recommended for a PRISM scholarship of up to $10,000 annually at Augsburg.
If you are a member of Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) and transfer to Augsburg, you will receive an additional annual scholarship of $2,500. The purpose of PTK is to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To learn more about PTK and whether you are eligible, check out the following info for your school.
Century College: https://www.century.edu/phi-theta-kappa
Minneapolis College: https://minneapolis.edu/student-life/student-activities-clubs-and-organizations under honor societies.
Normandale Community College: https://www.normandale.edu/campus-life/student-life/student-orgs-and-clubs
Applying to transfer to Augsburg is free. If you are interested in one or more of the following majors, we invite you to apply to Augsburg:
For more information about transferring to Augsburg, see https://www.augsburg.edu/transfer/. We are proud that the transfer admissions page features Augsburg PRISM Scholar Birdy Xiong, a biology major who plans to graduate in 2023.
If you are interested in pursuing engineering (specifically civil, computer, electrical or mechanical engineering), check out the APEX Scholarship program at St. Thomas University: https://engineering.stthomas.edu/info-for/transfer-students/apex-scholarship/index.html. This program is funded by NSF and is similar to PRISM. You would need to apply to be accepted into their program.
Applications are Now Open for the 2022-23 PRISM Scholars Program
We are excited to announce that applications for the 2022-23 academic year are now available! We strongly encourage others to apply, so please share the good news.
The PRISM program is designed to support Augsburg juniors and seniors who wish to pursue a career in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Funded by the National Science Foundation, PRISM Scholars receive scholarships of up to $10,000 per student per year. Scholars also become a part of the STEM community at Augsburg with opportunities for summer research, faculty mentoring, and career development.
If you are a current PRISM Scholar at a community college and plan to transfer in the Fall, please contact Dr. Jennifer Brookins-King, firstname.lastname@example.org, to discuss your plans.
You may also review the Augsburg Transfer Admissions website for more information about transferring, here is the link: https://www.augsburg.edu/transfer/
Application deadline: Wednesday, May 18 at 11:59pm
Faculty reference deadline: Friday, May 27 (applicants should get permission from one faculty member to serve as their reference and name them in their application)
For application information, go to: http://www.augsburg.edu/stem/augstem.
Expression of Interest Form: https://forms.gle/W3kwycuh2uAtHVrV6
Funding is provided through the National Science Foundation(NSF) S-STEM program which provides support for high-achieving STEM students with financial need. The collaborative award NSF#2030638: Partner Relationships to Increase STEM Momentum (PRISM) provides S-STEM scholarships to students at Augsburg University, Century College, Minneapolis College, and Normandale Community College.
MnTech Foundation Scholarship Applications - Now Open!
MnTech is currently accepting applications for the Minnesota Technology Foundation Scholarship. The scholarships are for Minnesota undergraduate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) disciplines. These awards range from $2,500 to $5,000 awards and can include internship opportunities at MnTech member companies. The Minnesota Technology Foundation supports diversity in this application and award process.
We also have Named Scholarships in specific areas supported by our generous sponsors. In the past, we have provided scholarships in Computer Science, STEM Education, Data Science, Women in STEM, Underrepresented Populations in STEM and Women in Computer Science. We encourage you to let students know of this additional and exceptional opportunity.
- Must be pursuing an undergraduate degree in a STEM field or in STEM teaching
- Only students with sophomore through senior academic status in the current school year may apply. Sophomore status may include students who have achieved this status through advanced placement (AP) credit or post-secondary options (PSEO)s
- Applicants must be enrolled at an accredited, Minnesota-based higher education institution.
- Scholarships will be awarded in the fall term of 2022 and presented to recipients at Minnesota Technology Association Tekne Awards in November. Students must be enrolled at time of award.
- In addition to traditional STEM fields, health science majors whose studies will NOT lead to participation in direct patient care are welcome to apply.
- The scholarship is open to international students, but preference is given to students who intend to work in Minnesota after graduation.
- Past scholarship winners are eligible to re-apply as long as they meet the rest of the requirements listed here.
Deadline for application is May 20th, 2022.
This is the link to the application form: https://smr.to/p81423
More detailed information is available at their website: https://mntech.org/talent/stem-scholarships/
NASA Fall 2022 Internship Applications
As a NASA intern, students will work with leading experts and gain valuable experience as they participate in research and mission projects.
Fall Internship applications are being accepted through July 8th with accepted interns beginning August 29th.
For students who are undecided about applying read the “5 Misconceptions about Applying for a NASA Internship."
For more information and to apply, visit the NASA Internship Program’s website.
Upturnships Seeking Applicants for Fall Projects Program!
Upturnships is still accepting applications for our fall 2022 projects program until Friday, April 29th. The projects program is open to all majors seeking professional work place. Past PRISM Scholars who have participated have included computer science, mathematics, and engineering majors.
Please feel free to go to their website and apply at: upturnships.org.
Minnesota SciTech Internship Program
In order to be eligible for SciTech internships, students must meet the following criteria:
- Minnesota resident OR living in and attending college in Minnesota
- At least 18 years of age
- In good academic standing (2.5+ GPA)
- College junior or senior (at least 60 credits completed) OR
- Technical or community college student (at least 24 credits completed) OR
- Enrolled in a STEM degree at an accredited U.S. college
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. (international students may participate if they have CPT/OPT work authorization)
Deadline to apply: Varies
For more information on how to apply and to view a list of current internship opportunities, visit https://scitechmn.org/.