Physical Education Teacher
Physical education teachers instruct classes and lead groups of students in exercise, sports, and physical activities, including cardiovascular and strength exercises. These teachers are also responsible for teaching students about health and wellness, along with basic coordination and teamwork.
- Preparing lesson plans and following a curriculum
- Working with classes and individual students on physical fitness activities
- Demonstrating exercises and sports for students
- Assessing students’ progress and providing grades
- Providing students with information on health,nutrition, wellness, and related lifestyle issues
- Serving as coaches for competitive and recreational sports teams
Basic Skills needed
Like other primary and secondary school teachers, physical education teachers are required to have at least a bachelor’s degree, preferably in education and with a focus on a content area. Public school physical education teachers are also required to have state licenses and a physical education endorsement.