Tonasket School District
Weekly Update ~ 12/4/2020
"Focused on Learning and Linking Learning to Life"
Be Positive, Be Grateful, Be Involved, Be Flexible
I read the following quote today, and it inspired me to do more to rise above my circumstances and appreciate what I have instead of focusing on what I do not have during this time. I hope you find it similarly inspiring!
“Someone else is happy with less than what you have.”
SCHOOL DISTRICT GOALS:
Powerful Teaching and Learning
I met with a representative from The JED Foundation on Thursday, along with Trisha Roach and Katie Walker to discuss the first steps in bringing a mental health and well-being program to the high school. JED is a two-year program designed to guide schools through a collaborative process of comprehensive systems, programs, and policy development to support the emotional well-being of students. The interdisciplinary committee will be formed and will have its first meeting in January. As you are well aware, COVID-19 has presented many challenges to students, many of whom may already be coping with mental health issues. The closing of schools, even in the hybrid model, has separated students from more than just classrooms, friends, and extracurricular activities. They have been cut off from other support systems such as school staff members. I personally want to thank each staff member for your efforts and support of our students. This is a time to help students learn how to manage sadness, isolation, and anxiety. In order for them to come out stronger, this teaching needs to be done with empathy and compassion. Thank you for doing that.
Supt’s On for Staff was held on Wednesday. This was the first virtual "open office hour". In order to accommodate all staff, in January I’m moving this meeting to the first Wednesday of the month at 3:30 PM instead of Thursday, as long as the school district is in the current hybrid model. As is the community Supt’s On virtual meeting, this is an opportunity for just staff members to hear directly from the superintendent on various topics, hear concerns from staff, or to share some of the great things that are happening. The next Supt’s On for Staff will be held Wednesday, January 6.
Parent and Community Engagement
- The Supt’s On virtual community meeting was held on Wednesday. I’d like to thank those who joined the meeting. I value the community members’ time and appreciate you taking the time to visit. Your support and input is important in our planning to provide the best educational experience possible for our students and staff as we navigate through this continuing COVID-19 pandemic. The next Supt’s On for the Community will be held Wednesday, January 6 at 5:30 PM.
- Plans are moving forward on a free drive-through flu shot event here at TSD. The migrant program is partnering with Molina Healthcare and Family Health Centers to provide free flu shots and a bag of food for each family that comes to get their flu vaccine. The vaccines are for adults (19+) only. The event will be held in the MS/HS parking lot on Saturday, December 12th.
Creative and Innovative
- Hiring: Halaina Clymer – Special Education Paraeducator
- Caleb Knowlton - One Year Paraeducator
- Tracey Tamashiro - 1.5 Hour CTE Vocational Secretary
- Debby Green - One Year Health Services/Health Room Assistant
- Thanks to our Tonasket Athletic Booster Club there is a new digital reader board installed downtown. It should be up and running soon.
- The enrollment for December is 1,053.78. We continue to hold a steady enrollment with a very slight decline from November’s count of 1,056.84.
- Board Policy Updates:
(BP - Board Policy; P - Procedure)
- 2255 BP/P Alternative Learning Experience Courses
- 3143 BP Notice of Dissemination of Information about Juvenile Offenses and Threats of Violence