Ms Greenlee's Class
2G at American School of Doha
Snack Time Visitors Needed (an effort to highlight our various cultures)
International Week is approaching and grade two is looking for parent volunteers who are willing to share a bit about their culture with their child’s class during snack time. This is a 15-minute period of time when children are sitting at their desks eating and enjoying their snack. If you are interested in sharing with your child’s class about your culture, please email your child’s second grade teacher.
In the past, parents have shared such things as: images of clothing, a piece of music, some decorations. But we welcome anything you feel would help to grow student understanding about different cultures will be much appreciated. As we will be visiting the International Buffet, sharing food from your culture isn’t necessary.
International Week -- some information about the up-coming International Buffet.
ALL families are asked to contribute food (No sign up)
We need TONS of servers (sign up link in Sahifa)
Information poster is in Sahifa (and attached to this email if you'd like to share it)
This event is not a family event. It is for the students of ASD in conjunction with International Week.
2G will visit the buffet at 10:00 a.m. --I'd suggest packing a very light snack
There will be servers to handle the food at the main buffet. Students can point at what they'd like to try.
Chairs and tables will be set up outside of the HS/MS cafeteria for classes to sit.
While we specifically ask for NO NUTS we can not guarantee foods will be nut free.
Dates to Remember:
December 7th: Opening Ceremony *encouraged to wear traditional dress
December 7th: National Costume Day
December 8th: Sports Jersey Day
December 9th: International Buffet & Qatar Colors Day
December 10th: International Week T-shirt Day and Closing Ceremony
There are two upcoming movie nights both organized by high school students for their service learning projects. The outdoor movie RIO is on Dec 10th, proceeds benefit Syrian Refugees. The rescheduled Minion movie will now be on Dec 15th. If you previously purchased tickets you may attend, ask for a refund, or donate that money to the cause. If your child did not sign up but would like to they may still do so. Please stay tuned for paper clarification, most likely to go home next week.
Tuesday After School Activity Pick Up
Parents picking up students from After School Activities on Tuesdays should enter through Gate 8. A kind reminder to all parents to bring and display your ASD Dragon Card at all times while on campus.
ASD 2016 Calendars FOR SALE!
The 2016 ASD Calendars will be for sale in the Elementary Office starting Sunday December 6th. These make great gifts for friends and family, get yours today!
Brief Subject Updates -- Click on buttons below to open parent letters for each subject
- Math: With the beginning of our Geometry unit students have begun to look at polygons. Students are using the number of sides and angles to identify specific names such as: triangle, quadrilateral, pentagon, and hexagon.
- Reading: We continued to grow our knowledge this week by reading across two or more books on the same topic. Using context and text features like headings and captions, helped us to build knowledge of words we didn’t know before.
- Writing: We asked if our Table of Contents matched what we had written in the chapters. We also re-read our books with the reader in mind and tried to anticipate what extra information a reader might want from our book.
- Sci: This week in science we began our Weather Unit. Students learned about air and experimented with the force air has on light weight and heavier objects.
As we are currently studying place value, please try the lessons listed under Place Value heading. Be aware that in grade two, we're working with numbers up to 1,000. A good place to start is M.1
Information From Our Nurses
There are students in your child’s class who have nut allergies. A child with nut allergy can develop mild or severe reactions if they come in contact with the said allergen. Please take note of the following measures:
· Please be considerate of your child’s classmates when sending in snacks (if possible, to avoid sending any nuts or nut products)
· Children should be encouraged to wash their hands before and after lunch, prior to returning to the classroom to avoid any cross-contamination.
· For any special occasions, please be reminded that any food brought in to the class should be nut free.