Peter the Great
Personality of Peter the Great
- Peter the Great wanted everything to go his way. He didn't care about other people's opinions on things, so he became an "absolute monarch," of Europe.
- He was extremely interested in Western ideas, and cultures.
- Since everything had to go his way, westernization started to spread in Russia.
- He didn't care for anyone who didn't listen to his rules, rebels would be executed or tortured.
- Peter the Great strengthened Russia's military.
- He is known for creating Europe's largest standing army, expanding Russia's borders and building a world-class navy.
- Won a long war, "The Great Northern War," against Sweden after being defeated the first time.
- He gained land to the Baltic Sea.
- Built a huge capital city called, "St. Petersburg".
- Peter the Great demanded boyars to shave their beards after he came back from the West.
- Western-styles clothes had to be worn and old-fashioned robes were no longer accepted.
- Peter started to mix sexes together in public
- For example, he scheduled grand parties where men and women were expected to dance together, which was uncommon at the time.
- Also, Peter passed laws saying that nobles had control over their lands only
- Peter the Great was 10 years old when he first took over the throne in 1682
- Also, he made the Russian alphabet more simple
- He tortured and executed 1,000 of his rebels
- After that he left the corpses rotting outside of the palace
- Peter died in 1725 and left a mixed legacy