Killian STEAM Leader's Academy- Friday, January 8, 2016
Our Vision and Mission
To prepare students to become responsible 21st Century leaders and citizens in a global society.
Killian Elementary School, with the support of its parents and community, dedicates itself to providing an innovative curriculum in a safe, nurturing environment that will prepare students to be productive citizens in a global society.
Killian STEAM Magnet Night
First Lego League team displays their expertise!
Killian's Drum Line
The Drum Line students performed at the Richland One vs. Richland 2 Charity Basketball Game!
Thanks to Ms. Diggs for her leadership in preparation for the STEAM magnet night!
"Be so good, they can't ignore you." - Steve Martin
Leader in Me- Think Win-Win
The habit for this month is “Think Win-Win”. At the end of this month all students should be able to demonstrate an understanding that by thinking Win-Win, everyone has a say in the decision making process.
Share this cute clip (all grades will enjoy) and then have a class chat about how it relates to this month’s habit. http://tinyurl.com/jd4yszz
Third Quarter Conferences
We are not requiring all teachers to have conferences with all parents at this time. We continue to expect all teachers to send home weekly progress reports, update grades in the gradebook weekly, and make routine positive or informative phone calls home. Please continue to schedule conferences with students and parents as needed.
Half Day on Thursday- Information
- All team members must be a part of the planning.
- At the end of your time together, a product should be shared with your grade level administrator. Some examples of products could be common assessments, team unit plans, data reviews, or other planning documents. Our goal for you is to provide you time to collaborate together in preparation for the third nine weeks.
- Your time will be uninterrupted!
- Lesson plans are due by 7:30 AM each Monday morning. They should be uploaded onto the shared Google file.
- Whole class punishments for one or two students' behavior is not acceptable. This has always been our expectation at Killian. Please refer back to the employee handbook if you have questions.
- Weekly newsletters should be sent home. This can be done electronically through class blogs or website but it is important that we communicate with parents on a regular basis.
- Parent contact logs are due by Friday, January 15. If you will not be at work on that day, please submit them on Thursday, February 14.
Safety Update- Fire Marshal Requirements
- In- classroom restrooms cannot have anything stored in them. This is a health hazard as well as a fire system violation. If there is a toilet or a sink in the restroom, it is considered a bathroom and not a storage room whether it is used as a restroom or not. Not negotiable as far as the Fire Marshal is concerned.
- Every classroom should have an emergency window in the case you cannot exit through your door. The fire window is marked "Emergency Exit." This window cannot be blocked. Please remove any items that would prohibit an escape if necessary.
- If you have curtains on the windows, they must have a fire tag of some sort that proves that the curtain is fire proof. If it is treated by an individual with a flame retardant spray, there must be documentation of the product used to fire proof it available for the Fire Marshal. If your curtains were not pre-treated, please email Ms. Gore and we will get it treated and tagged for you.
- Nothing can be stored within 18 inches of the ceiling. Please remove any items from the tops of cabinets that violate this code.
- Student displays cannot take up 20% of any given wall. The way to tell is to measure the surface area of the wall and measure the surface area of the student work. If the student work is 20% or more of the wall, it has to be moved to another wall that will not violate this code. Your grade level administrator will notify you if you are in violation after a safety walk is completed.
We know this seems like a great deal of requests, but we must follow them in order to ensure we have a safe school. Please work to meet these requests by Thursday, January 14. The admin team will conduct safety checks on that day and alert anyone who may need to make additional changes.
Thanks in advance for your support in this matter.
A Closer Look
Monday, January 11
2nd Grade MAP Testing
Student Showcases Updated
After-School PD- Writing Focus 3:30-4:30 (location TBA)
PTO Board Meeting
Tuesday, January 12
New to Killian 3:30-4:30
Wednesday, January 13
2nd Grade MAP Testing
Lighthouse Team Meeting 3:30-4:30
Thursday, January 14
End of Second 9 Weeks
1/2 Day Dismissal for Students
Friday, January 15
Parent Contact Logs Due
Teacher Workday/ SWAP Day
PE Rotation Week
Monday, January 18
No School- MLK Holiday
Tuesday, January 19
Report Grades due by 8:00 AM
Wednesday, January 20
STEAM Advisory Board Meeting- 3:30-4:30
Thursday, January 21
Friday, January 22
2nd Quarter Report Cards Go Home