VCR Lesson 3 Presentation
Fill in the blank with the most appropriate word from Lesson 3.
1. Breaking or destroying images (referring especially to a movement and to destroy images in Eastern Orthodox churches during the ninth and tenth centuries and a later Protestant movement).
2. Attacking or overthrowing tradition or popular ideas, institutions, or conventions.
klasis - fracture
Iconoclastic refers to the breaking, or alternatively, fracturing, of images.
PARTS OF SPEECH
iconoclast (n.) -a person who attacks beliefs or images
Definition 2: nonconforming, individualistic, dissident
1:28 - 1:38
Choose the sentence in which the word in bold-faced type is used incorrectly.
2. Ashley's liberal mindset was seen as iconoclastic in her religious and conservative household.
3. Hindu idol worshippers are iconoclastic, since they pray in front of statues and images of gods daily.
4. In response to an initial ban of religious icons, a group of protesting women attacked the iconoclasts who were trying to smash images of Christ.