MAME Winter GetAway
...a Deep Dive into Diversity
MAME Winter GetAway is coming . . .
Join us for a deep dive into diversity beginning with a presentation on the need for diverse books in our school libraries. Then participants will jump into MAME's newly released MISelf in Books List, an annual list of diverse books selected by a committee of certified school librarians who are members of Michigan Association for Media in Education (MAME). The books have been published within the last two years and written by #ownvoice authors. The list includes books for all grade levels.
● Learn about the purpose of the list and the committee’s work in selecting these titles
● Receive a copy of the rubric that was used for a more consistent review and learn how it can be applied to future purchases
● Booktalks highlighting some of the committees favorite titles
● a session on conducting a Diversity audio of your library collection.
Guest speakers at the workshop include:
● Dr. Michael Rice, Michigan Board of Education,State Superintendent
● Author Keynote-Supriya Kelkar
● Michigan Teacher of the Year: Owen Bondono
○ Examples I've seen where my students have benefited from seeing themselves in books,
○ How I benefited from finally seeing LGBTQ+ characters in books,
Support small Michigan businesses!
Purchase your books at a 20% discount at Lowry's Books!
Write "MAME" in the comment box. Your 20%discount will be applied when your card is charged.