Upper Dublin in Review...
Legislative Meeting Briefs - February 2020
Board of School Directors
UDSD Board of School Directors
Ms. Amy Francek, President; Dr. Darlene Davis, Vice President
Mr. Michael Henderson, Ms. Jennifer Iannitti, Dr. Art Levinowitz, Mr. Stanley Ropski, Ms. Titia Scherpbier, Mr. Mark Sirota, Mr. Jeffrey Wallack
President's Welcome and Reports to the Board of School Directors
- President's Welcome - Ms. Francek welcomed everyone to the meeting and reminded the community about the upcoming Black History Month Celebration. Additionally, Ms. Francek reported on liaison report changes and a date change for the March Legislative meeting which will be communicated when a new date is confirmed.
- Student Government Association Report - Daniel Caplan shared information about happenings at UDHS. Click here to read Daniel's full report.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Yanni presented his monthly Superintendent's Report. Please click here to read Dr. Yanni's full report.
- Budget Town Hall
- Reducing budget deficits
- Early retirement incentives
Recommended Action Items for Approval
Education Committee Recommendations
- Curriculum - The Board approved student field trips and professional learning conferences, and the K-3 Fountas & Pinnell Classroom adoption.
- Pupil Services - The Board approved a confidential educational agreement and service agreement.
Finance Committee Recommendations (includes Operations and Transportation)
- Routine Matters - The Board approved routines matters such as a list of excess, obsolete, and non-repairable equipment for disposal, the review of the Treasurer's Report, the list of bill payments, and the 2019-2019 Audit report.
- Other Matters - The Board approved a three year engagement with Gorman & Associates for services relating to the annual audit, an agreement with Gallagher Benefits Services, a Settlement Stipulation, and an Appraisal Services Agreement.
- The Board also approved the adoption of the 2020-2021 Montgomery County Intermediate Unit's Member Services budget, LEED Gold Certification Status for the Sandy Run Middle School Project, and a change order to J.D. Morrissey, Inc. for work on a traffic signal and removal of unsuitable soils at Sandy Run Middle School.
Personnel Committee Recommendations
- Routine Matters - The Board approved the personnel report, inclusive of appointments, leaves of absence, changes of status, mentors, and the extra curricular report.
Policy Committee Recommendations
The Board approved second readings of the following policies:
- Class Size (126)
- Involvement of Parents/Guardians in the Title 1 Program (131)
- Use of Medications (210)
- Copyright Material (814)
- Social Media and Electronic Communications (817)
- District Annual Assessment of Pupils (919)
- second reading repeal of Energy Management (823), Paper Reduction (830), Internet Website Content (815.3), Website Use and Linking (815.4), and Software Licensing/Copyright Policy (815.5)
The Board affirmed the following first readings:
- Employment of District Staff (303)
- Student Teachers (307)
- Suspension and Furloughs (311)
- Evaluation of the Superintendent (312)
- Evaluation of District Staff (313)
- Safety (705)
- Access to District Facilities (707)
- repeal of several employee policies that will be combined into section 300 (Employees)
Other Business Recommendations
- The Board approved a Resolution for Charter School Fair Funding Reform. Click here to view resolution.
- Liaison Committee Reports - Reports from Montgomery County Intermediate Unit, Montgomery County Legislative Committee, Eastern Center for Arts & Technology, Equity and Empowerment Steering Committee, Educational Advisory Committee, Pennsylvania School Boards Association, Upper Dublin Township, and Upper Dublin Education Foundation.
- Solicitor's Report - Mr. Diasio reported that the Board met in Executive session preceding the meeting to discuss personnel matters and confidential educational agreements.
Community Input and Follow-Up Comments
- Liaison reports