Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - August 19, 2022
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from BVN Administrators
Bell Schedules for Aug.22 - Sept. 2
BVN Parking Pass Update
NewsChopper 9 coming to North!
Kudos & Celebrations
ParentVUE URL updated
Seniors Class of 2023
Senior Yearbook Ads
Welcome New Students & Class of 2026
Mark Your Calendar
Back To School Night - August 23
Free and Reduced Meals
BVN Athletics' Announcements
The Mustang Club
Durham Bus Information
A Letter from Your Principal
I really cannot remember a better start to a school year than what we have experienced this week. Everyone has come together to help kick start the 2022/2023 school year the right way. I would highly encourage all parents to attend our Back to School Night next Tuesday so you can meet all of your student’s phenomenal teachers. Information regarding the schedule was emailed this week and can be found in this newsletter.
As we look forward to another school year, we know that safety and security is top of mind for students, staff and families. Making sure our school is as safe as possible during the school day is a responsibility we take seriously. At Blue Valley North, and high schools across the district, we have a variety of measures and practices in place to foster a safe and secure learning environment. Three safety measures, while not new, are essential for students and families to understand this year:
- Paid food delivery services: We do not accept food from paid delivery services during the school day. Food delivery services require a signature. Students leaving class to sign for food disrupts the learning environment and poses potential security concerns. Orders arriving from food delivery services will be refused. Students returning from appointments or CAPS/Career Ready Programs are encouraged to enjoy their food purchased off-site before returning to the school. We also need our parents cooperation on not dropping off food throughout the day as we do not have the capacity to facilitate all of these deliveries or the space to keep food in our offices.
- Learning experience: We know that most students learn best when they are engaging with their peers and teachers in the classroom. When students leave class for excessive amounts of time, this poses not only a safety concern but also the possibility of destructive behavior. We understand that students may need to occasionally miss short amounts of class time to take care of a health need, use the restroom, etc. However, we encourage students to utilize passing periods to take care of these needs when possible. If a teacher notices that a student is missing excessive class time, skips class or is found wandering the school, we will reach out to you. We are instituting a hall pass system in which we will expect all teachers and students to follow.
- Secured school building: After school starts, all students, families and visitors are asked to show an ID to be buzzed in through the secured front entrance. In order to keep our campus secure, we cannot have doors propped open for anyone during the school day. Students who violate this policy will receive a safety violation. Violations may lead to a series of disciplinary consequences which may include conversations with parents, suspensions and/or $25 tickets issued by Blue Valley SROs.
Thank you for supporting these measures so every student and staff member can feel safe and focus on learning each day when they come to Blue Valley North. We also look forward to welcome all parents and guardians to Back to School Night next Tuesday!
BVN Bell Schedule
August 22 - September 2:
Monday-Wednesday are Odd Hour Days
Tuesday-Thursday are Even Hour Days (*School begins at 8:40 a.m.)
Fridays are Traditional 7-Hour Days
September 5 - 9:
Monday is Labor Day/NO SCHOOL
Tuesday is Professional Learning for Teachers only/NO SCHOOL
Wednesday is Odd Hour Day
Thursday is Even Hour Day (*School begins at 8:40 a.m.)
Friday is Traditional 7-Hour Day
*On late start Tuesday/Thursdays, Durham buses will run their normal pickup times. Students can eat breakfast in the commons, study in the flex space or the library.
BVN Parking Pass Update
Our BVN Security Office is still waiting on the delivery of parking passes for our students. When the passes are available for pickup, there will be an overhead announcement to all students. Once they do come in, students will be given time to pick them up during their lunch hour, after school from 2:45-3:15 p.m. and on Tuesday/Thursday mornings from 7:45 – 8:15 a.m. Officer Tony Latas and Office Tina Morse will be outside the security office (across from the main office) to distribute them. Thank you for your patience, and rest assured that no tickets will be given until students have had ample time to secure their parking passes.
Johnny Rowlands and NewsChopper 9 are coming to North!
KMBC 9 News is doing a back-to-school special feature titled “Banding Together” on the morning of August 22. At 7:00 a.m., all BVN students are invited to join the marching band outside on the softball field to watch the landing and takeoff of the NewsChopper 9 helicopter. Teachers should of course join outside as well, as all of this is to salute them for their hard work. Johnny will make a short presentation to BVN teachers. Students are encouraged to bring large banners and signs thanking their teachers and welcoming KMBC & KCWE to the school for the aerial shots. This presentation is optional and should conclude in time for students to make it to their 1st hour class.
Kudos and Celebrations
ParentVUE URL updated -- Action Needed by Parents
Over the summer the URL for ParentVUE changed. Click here for the new URL: ParentVUE
Parents will need to have the new URL or they won’t be able to login to ParentVUE or request a password reset. The Blue Valley School District website and the BVN website have both been updated with the new URL so the parents can access the link from Parent>ParentVUE.
In addition, this also impacts the ParentVUE app. Parents will need to update their device to the correct link. Here are instructions:
- Download the ParentVUE app on your device (only if you haven't already)
- Click the gear icon on the bottom left
- Click Add another district URL
- In Zip Code, type 66223
- Click on Blue Valley School District
- Click OK
- After reading notice for login, select: No - if you do not have a key
- Please go to this URL to set up your ParentVUE account: URL
- Then click Create a New Account
- Already Activated -- if you already have an account. You will be taken to the login screen
- Yes -- if you have the key and continue with those instructions
Counseling, Academics & Testing
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- Counselor alpha assignments for the 2022-23 school year: Newman- A-Co (9-11), A-Dau (12); Petersen – Cr-He (9-11), Dav–Ho (12); Bosch – Hi–Mi (9-11), Hu–Min (12); Standefer – Mo–Sh (9-12); Levin – Si–Z (9-12).
- Schedule change requests for the 2022-23 school year will be accepted during the first three days of school. Deadline: August 19, 3:00pm. After this time, only level changes and drops to a study hall are permitted. See email received August 11th for more details.
- Counselors will visit with Seniors in ELA classes to discuss the college application process on September 14/15.
- Counselors will visit with Juniors in ELA classes to discuss the college and career exploration process in Naviance on September 28/29.
- Check out School year and Summer Opportunities - Opportunities
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
Seniors--Info for Class of 2023
The Graduation date for the Class of 2023 has been announced. Put Saturday, May 20 on your calendars! Commencement will be held at 5:00 p.m.
Hopefully your senior had their portrait taken in June or July by Rolland Studios for our BVN yearbook. IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD YOUR PICTURE TAKEN YET, please plan to have your portrait taken on Friday, September 23 at Blue Valley North--this is your LAST CHANCE to have this done! Sign up for an appointment time at Mrs. Miller's desk in Student Services. You can choose another company for your personal senior photos which can be used in the Senior Tribute Ads, but only a photo from Rolland Studios will be used for the “Senior Section” of the yearbook.
ACTION NEEDED: Our diplomas will be ordered at the end of the first semester in order to have them for May graduation. Please click on the link below and complete the Senior Diploma/Transcript Form. Please complete as soon as possible. This form also authorizes the release of senior transcripts for college applications. Click here: Diploma/Transcript Authorization
SENIOR SIDEWALK HORSESHOE PROJECT:
The Mustang Club has organized a fundraiser to celebrate the Class of 2023! Each senior has the opportunity to "buy" a horseshoe print and personalize it for display on the sidewalks leading into the 123rd Street entry of BVN (aka the Bus Loop entrance) during the duration of your senior year. The horseshoe order form can be found on the Mustang Club website: https://bvnpbc.membershiptoolkit.com/packet/17996807
- WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 31st - Deadline to submit proposed artwork and payment
- THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 1st - Senior Block Party Painting Day during Advisory
- Paint and 1 paintbrush will be provided--feel free to bring stencils/painter's tape, etc.
If you have any questions about this Mustang Club Fundraiser, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Tribute Ads: The early bird deadline of Sept. 1 to purchase and submit materials for senior tributes for the class of 2023 is quickly aproaching! See below for informational images that explain pricing, deadlines, and frequently asked questions about submitting materials for senior tribute ads in the 2022-23 Yearbook. Oct. 6 is the regular deadline. Start planning yours now!
We are making changes to our process for ordering cap, gown, tassel and grad announcements--we'll send an email when details are finalized.
For the most up-to-date info, please bookmark our SENIOR INFO page! You can also find info about picking up your parking pass and download the parking permit application.
Questions? email Mrs. Miller at email@example.com
Senior Yearbook Ads - Early Bird Deadline is September 1
New Students & Class of 2026, Welcome to Blue Valley North!
Welcome to the Mustang Family! We are excited to have you as a student at Blue Valley North and look forward to getting to know you. If you missed New Mustang Night in early August, here is a link to the power point the BVN Administration shared: New Mustang Night .
North Notes is the weekly parent newsletter for parents and is emailed every Friday, when school is in session. Please read it! It has schedule changes, event information, deadlines and other important information. On Friday mornings during the fall semester, a Freshmen/New Student email will be sent to parents. It provides more detailed information and helpful tips about high school life at BV North.
Once you have completed your on-line registration for this school year, North Notes and the Freshmen email will be sent to your primary email account. If you and your spouse both want to receive email communication, you each will need to establish a ParentVue account. Please contact our registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a second ParentVUE account.
If you need information that you want explained in North Notes, or you have a question, we want to help. Email BlueValleyNorth@bluevalleyk12.org . Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal or Lisa Miller, Assistant to the Activities Director and Curriculum & Instruction Director, will respond within 24 hours.
Mark Your Calendar
July 7 - High school online registration and fee payment opened except course fees
August 19 – Fall Picture Day
August 19 – Final day for students to drop a course and not owe fees for that course.
August 22 - KMBC 9 News at BVN at 7:00 a.m.!
August 23 – Back to School Night for Parents (details below)
August 26 – Opening Sports Night/School Dance
September 1 – Course fees for 1st & 2nd semester assigned and opened for payment. Students who drop a course after Aug. 19 deadline will pay fees associated with that course.
September 5 - No School/Labor Day Holiday
September 6 - No School/Professional Learning for Teachers
September 21 - Homecoming Parade & Pep Rally
September 23 - Picture Day Re-Takes in the Library, 8:15 - 10:00 a.m.
September 24 - Homecoming Dance
September 26 - This week are Parent-Teacher Conferences
September 30 – First semester course fees due; 2 weeks prior to quarter end.
September 30 - No School due to Parent-Teacher Conferences after school Sept. 26-29.
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Back to School Night - August 23, 5:45 – 8:00 p.m.
BVN will host “Back to School Night” (for parents only) on Tuesday, August 23. Parents will have 15 minutes to arrive and locate your student’s first hour classroom, then you’ll follow your student’s 7-hour schedule in order, spending 10 minutes in each class. We encourage you to print your student’s schedule BEFORE coming or bring your cell phone/laptop so you can view on ParentVue. We hope to see you there!
School Photo Orders
Today was Picture Day at BVN! If your student’s picture was taken and you placed a pre-order for photos, the picture package will be delivered to your student in their Advisory class as soon as they are received from Rolland. If you did not pre-purchase a packet, your student will be given a proof sheet with information about purchasing prints from their website, www.rollandkc.com.
Student Photo Retakes ~ September 23
If your student was absent today for Picture Day or would like a re-take, Rolland Studios will be at BVN on September 23, 8:15 a.m.-10 a.m. Photos will be taken in the library, and underclass students should bring their photo packet to trade in or bring their proof sheet.
Family Activity Passes
Get your own BVN Family Activity Pass -- For $85.00, the pass will allow both parents and their K-8th grade children entrance into BVN’s home football, soccer, volleyball, wrestling and basketball games. Purchase on ParentVue, and watch North Notes for information about obtaining your purchased pass (coming soon). BVN Students are NOT admitted on a Family Pass and need their own Student Activity Pass.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at email@example.com .
Free meals for all students ended
The USDA ended the nationwide free meals that were available for all students at the conclusion of the 2021-22 school year. This means that meals will be charged at full price unless your family has been approved for the Free & Reduced Meal Program after July 1 of the current school year.
APPLY FOR THE FREE & REDUCED MEAL PROGRAM
Blue Valley Food and Nutrition Services is again participating in the Child Nutrition Program which offers Free and Reduced meal benefits to qualifying families. This is an annual program, and a new application is required each school year to qualify for benefits.
- Verify your family meets the Free & Reduced Meal income guidelines.
- Apply online using the Chrome browser. If your default browser is not Chrome, please copy and paste this URL https://family.titank12.com/application/new?identifier=TGY6RJ into a Chrome browser to begin the application process.
- Remember to complete the Consent for Disclosure section if you wish to obtain additional discounts for school fees or bus transportation fees based on your application status.
- If a member of your household receives Food Assistance (FA), or Temporary Assistance to Families (TAF) from the State of Kansas, or you have a Foster student you may not need to apply. Contact Bobbi Valverde at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to verify your status.
- Need a paper application? Paper applications are available on the district website, at all Blue Valley schools or by contacting Bobbi Valverde at email@example.com or (913) 239-4106.
- Submit the completed application before August 17 for full meal benefits upon qualifying. All families that apply will receive a letter notifying the determination. Please allow at least 10 days before inquiring about your submission.
Thank you for your support as we work together to meet the nutritional needs of all Blue Valley students. More information about the Free & Reduced meal program is available online. If you have questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to a happy, healthy, and successful 2022-23 school year.
BVN Prescription Medications August 2022 (updated)
Parents who have students who require prescription medication while in school should contact the nurse to schedule a medication drop off. The medication must be in the current labeled prescription pill bottle with a signed medical order from the physician.
Please e-mail Nurse Collichio to schedule a medication drop off and e-mail the signed medical order to email@example.com . Thank you!
Parents of 11th Graders - Action Needed by September 6
Per the state of Kansas Immunization guidelines, your current 11th grade needs to have their 16-year meningococcal (MCV4) immunization for entry into the 11th grade. E-mail Nurse Collichio, firstname.lastname@example.org , your 11th graders updated MCV4 immunization record. All non-compliant 11th-grade immunization parents will be receiving a final exclusion letter if the updated immunization record is not received by September 6th.
Parent Volunteer Opportunity - October 13
BVN Parents, your students need your support. Nurse Collichio has a parent volunteer opportunity on October 13th, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., to work the Blue Valley North Hearing & Vision Screening. This is a huge undertaking and cannot be completed without the support of at least 10 parent volunteers. Please contact Nurse Amanda Collichio if you are interested in volunteering or you want more information: email@example.com or 913-239-3013.
Calling all Mustangs with an interest in Music!
Have you had an interest in taking a music class but don’t know how to get started/where you might fit in? The world of music is huge, ever-expanding, and welcoming to many different talents and interests. This fall – Mr. Freeman (band director) is offering a chance for you to explore your musical path in a non-traditional music class (not a band/choir/orchestra class). If you are interested, please email Mr. Freeman: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bring your big musical ideas!
BVN Football Program needs Managers!
Interested in being part of a team?! The football program is looking for a few more football managers for this upcoming season! Whether you are an interested freshman or senior, this is a great way to meet new friends, get some sun, and contribute to an awesome football program! Pleas contact Coach Pummill @ apummill@blueballeyK12.org if interested.
“Our football managers are every bit as important as our players. They are the glue which holds our team together…and we try and make it a really fun experience where they don’t just “feel” part of the team…they know they are a huge part of our team.” -Coach Pummill
National Honor Society Info for 2022-23 School Year
Are you a student who is in the class of 2023 or class of 2024 and have a 3.5 GPA or higher? Are you interested in being a candidate for National Honor Society induction in the fall? If so, please read on. Students need 40 hours of community service from January 1, 2022 through September 30, 2022. These hours must come from non-profit 501c3 organizations.
We will not count hours such as walking dogs, babysitting a neighbor, helping someone move, tutoring, volunteering at country clubs, etc. Students should already be on x2VOL, the platform that tracks hours, and should be recording and verifying hours on this online site. An individual from the organization must verify hours with an email that is from a .org email address. Look online for opportunities that are posted on the x2VOL website. If you are questioning if hours count as community service, please contact Mrs. Cornelius and Mrs. Stein to get prior authorization.
Information will be sent out in the fall. Tentative dates for the initial information meeting are Wednesday September 21, at 3:00 p.m. in the PAC and Thursday, September 22, at 8:00 a.m. in the PAC. Attendance at one of these two dates is mandatory! We will hand out all information to students at this meeting. Other than community service hours, students do not need to work on anything else prior to this meeting.
Mandatory induction practice is Monday, November 7, 2022, at 7:00 a.m. and the mandatory Induction Ceremony is Monday, November 7, 2022, at 6:30 p.m.
BVN Athletics' Announcements
Student-Athletes Action Needed for 2022-2023
Starting July 1st, the Blue Valley School District is moving to an online format to submit all paperwork, including a new physical completed, signed and dated (May 1, 2022, or after) by a physician. This paperwork is required for students involved in athletics and activities at the high school and middle school levels. The online system can be accessed directly through this link: https://bvnathletics.com/2022/06/30/new-online-physical-and-paperwork/ .
Boys' Soccer Team
Today, August 19, the Boys' Soccer has the following activities:
Intersquad Scrimmage from 5:00 - 6:15 p.m. on the East Turf Field
Family Informational Meeting from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. at the BVN Library
Volleyball Team Schedule
Today, August 19 and the rest of the season:
JV/Varsity, 3:05 - 5:30-ish p.m.
C-Team, Freshmen A/B, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, August 20
JV/Varsity, 9:00 - 11:00 a.m. Team lunch to follow.
BVN Athletics' Questions?
Please contact Stevie Gibson, BVN Athletics Administrative Assistant, at (913) 239-3011 or SGibson@abluevalleykk12.org .
Durham Bus Riders
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2022-23 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492 or contact them via email at email@example.com.
Please Join The Mustang Club during 2022-23!
Our parent community has been integral in contributing to our status as one of the best high schools in the state of Kansas and a leading high school across the nation.
Please support The Mustang Club (previously known as BVN Parent Booster Club). The Mustang Club financially supports BVN's extracurricular activities (as our version of a traditional PTO/PTA), and over the last 7 years, The Mustang Club has granted over a half million dollars to support our school’s extracurricular activities, organizations, and athletic teams. We could not provide the depth and breadth of opportunities that are available without your participation through membership and donations of your time.
The Mustang Club needs your support! Membership is down and volunteers are in short supply. Here are some options for you to consider:
· Become a Mustang Club member at one of the five membership levels;
· Purchase spirit wear from The Mustang Club website (www.bvnmustangs.com);
· Volunteer on a Mustang Club committee to support a specific event or cause; and
· Take advantage of one of the many sponsorship opportunities available for those of you affiliated with companies that want to support BVN financially.
You can find everything you need to know about The Mustang Club & membership at www.bvnmustangs.com. As you know, this organization is completely run by parent volunteers so every dollar donated goes to benefit BVN students. Additionally, the organization is a 501(c)3 so your contributions are tax deductible.
Thank you for your support and consideration and GO MUSTANGS!
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
Office Hours are Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. The office will be closed on Monday, September 5th for Labor Day.
Blue Valley North High School