Principal's Corner #23
February 21, 2020
COUGAR STAFF SHOUT OUTS
- To Kate Howard, thanks for introducing me to Flippity. My kids love it & it saves me so much time!
From Rebecca Buell
- To Darren Gaines, Lisa Gelwick, and Heidi Burris for being so supportive and willing to step in and help each other out when needed. Thank you for covering my class and getting materials ready for a substitute when I was hit suddenly and hard by the stomach flu. And thank you for being so supportive of me during the high school girls swim season. You are amazing!
From Erin Wehrle
- To Kristina Layman, Darren Dennstedt, Ann Litschewski, Andrea Aibner, and Erin Wehrle for staying extra late on our non-contact day to inform our 5th grade families about the High Trails experience. I appreciate you being there.
- To Darren Dennstedt and Matthew Pedregon for scheduling an opportunity to meet with the SBLT leaders to help us brainstorm ways to improve our culture. I appreciate you allowing me to be vulnerable and working collaboratively to improve our school culture.
- To Lorraine Roden, Michelle Christ, Dana Schwartz, Dorothy Speir, Lori Matsumoto and Thessica Covato for working together to make our para schedules work to meet the needs of our staff and students.
- To Glenda Cole for reflecting with district leadership for ways to improve our ELL practices at COT. We are so fortunate to have you.
- To Patti Rojec for being so on top of things! She keeps track of our absences and makes sure our building stays healthy. She has been a great addition to our family!
- To Joan Salinger for being willing to open her mind to a new way of working. I am so thankful to have you!!
From Katie Johnson
Has it been awhile since you gave a SHOUT OUT? It's just a click away.
2020-21 Planning Committee
Please know that I have created a process that allows time for collaboration, processing, sharing, and collaborating again. Everyone will have an opportunity to participate in the process, but the 2020-21 Planning Committee will be responsible for attending all meetings and sharing information with teams. It is my goal to use this committee to capture ideas and feedback as we plan for the 2020-21 school year. Ultimately, I will make all final decisions, but this WEteam is designed to provide me with multiple points of view to help me make the best decision for our students. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
SpEd, Intervention, ELL: Wuthrich
Cherry Creek Reads
Cherry Creek Reads is a districtwide celebration of reading with the theme “Read Together, Change Lives Together.” The goal is simple: to create a community of readers and foster a lifelong love of reading. This year, the featured book for Cherry Creek Reads week is....Because, an inspirational book by Mo Willems, a New York Times bestselling author and illustrator. Because takes readers on a journey of self-discovery, with the realization of how one small event can change your life forever and make one wonder…. What’s my Because?
Want a copy of this book for your library at school?
Please email your request to Alison Berner no later than 4:00pm on Friday, February 28th.
Literacy Notes from Lois
Cherry Creek Reads week is fast approaching. I would love to be a guest reader in your classroom or help you plan a fun literacy activity. If you are interested, send me an email and we can set up a time.
Today is the last day of our “re-set”/”re-calibration” window. All student’s independent reading levels should be updated in School Pace.
Our next conferring cycle begins Monday, February 24 and runs through Friday, March 13th. Remember this is a three-week conferring cycle due to conferences and Spring Break.
Our next steps include making sure that all of our students have appropriate power goals. During our conferring sessions we will work towards the student’s power goal and enter the data in School Pace. Below is a nice graphic that summarizes frequency of conferring based on our student’s reading growth.
A reminder that the Skills Cards are a great way to track student’s growth. They also make a nice addition to our student’s body of evidence with conferences approaching.
The optional drop in IRLA work session is Wednesday, February 26th. I will be in the collaboration room all day-please stop by if I can help in any way!
Thank you for your dedication as we work towards literacy alignment. I love learning alongside all of you!
Lunch with the Principal
11th annual CCSD Teacher Volleyball League is starting!
Attention all elementary principals, P.E. teachers and staff! Our 11th annual CCSD Teacher Volleyball League is starting. Is your school ready to put a team of school employees together to create a volleyball team? Let’s have some friendly competition, create new friends and build a little district camaraderie.
- Dual games to be held at the Island on 3 separate evenings. You will be playing multiple dual games in one night. Dual games will help seed your team for the tournament in May. Your school team must show up to at 2/3 of the dual games to be eligible to play. We must also have a minimum of 12 schools to do the duals and tournament.
- The Island has raised their rates, but we also were able to book the premium times. If we get more than 15 teams registered, we will be able to get a discounted per team rate.
All Play will happen at the Island sand volleyball courts
2233 S. Geneva Street, Denver, CO 80247
Dual Saturday March 7th / 4:00pm-9pm.
Dual Friday April 10 / 5:00pm-10pm
Tournament Friday May 15/ 5:00pm-10pm
- ALL MEMBERS PLAYING MUST WORK AT YOUR SCHOOL or BUILDING. If you can NOT field a team of 6 with staff only, each team will be aloud only one significant other or spouse. You can also play with less than 6. If you are practicing at your school your players must sign a district waiver before holding a practice.
- Field a team of 6 and extra players can rotate in. There can be no more than 3 guys on the court at a time. You must have a female touch, unless it’s a block. A more detailed list of rules will follow.
- DEADLINE TO REGISTER YOUR SCHOOL IS FRIDAY, February 28.
- Monday, February 24, 7:15AM: 2020-21 Planning Committee Meeting
- Tuesday, February 25: Katie out, UIP
- Wednesday, February 26: Staff Meeting
- Wednesday, February 26: Optional School Pace and Power Goal Work Session, Collaboration Space during planning and/or after school
- Thursday, February 27: Katie out in the AM, Staffing Meeting
- Thursday, February 27: Collaborative Team Day, K (AM), 5th (PM)
- Friday, February 28: Lunch with the Principal, Collaboration Room during lunch blocks
- Friday, February 28: Sock Hop @ 6:00 CCHS
- Friday, March 13: 1st-5th Supply Lists due to Katie
- Thursday, April 2: Collaborative Team Day, 2nd (AM), 3rd (PM)
- Thursday, April 9: Collaborative Team Day, 1st (AM), 4th (PM)
- Thursday, April 16: Collaborative Team Day, K (AM), 5th (PM)