By Caroline Bursinger
I think that minimum wage needs to be increased. So many people today are living off of minimum wage for various reasons. These people struggle on a day to day basis, living paycheck to paycheck. Some even have kids, which causes a bigger problem. More mouths to feed, more bills to pay, and more money needed. I think it should be raised so there are less people suffering on minimum wage, and more people living happy, healthy lives.
Facts about Minimum Wage
- The number of states where a minimum wage worker can afford a two-bedroom apartment working a 40-hour week is 0 (http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Economy/10-Facts-About-the-Minimum-Wage)
- $15,080 is the annual income for a full-time employee working the entire year at the federal minimum wage. (http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Economy/10-Facts-About-the-Minimum-Wage)
- 67 percentage of Americans who support gradually raising the minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to at least $10.00 an hour, according to an October 2010 poll. (http://www.aflcio.org/Blog/Economy/10-Facts-About-the-Minimum-Wage)
Things I found Shocking
- I found it shocking that both Alex and Morgan working at minimum wage could hardly get them anything. They wouldn't have been able to get furniture if that organization didn't exists.
- I also found it shocking that the hospital bills were so high. When people are working on minimum wage and have an emergency, it'll take them weeks or even months to pay it off depending on severe the injuries were.
- I found out that it is extremely hard to make ends meet when people are only making minimum wage.