Island School PTA Newsletter
Message from Co-chairs
As the PTA bid farewell to the year 13 students and their families and welcomed the incoming Year 7 families to our community, we reflect on how, in just a short space of time, our children grow and mature. This seven-year journey can be both exciting and at times, challenging for parents and students alike and the PTA is committed to working with and supporting our community members.
This year the PTA has undergone many changes starting with the inauguration of a second Fair, the Career Fair Day as well as the employment of a full time PTA Administrator. Our committee members have worked extremely hard and each has taken on at least one project. The level of commitment, effort and time it takes to deliver on each of these undertakings is truly exemplary. As a committee we have worked diligently to support our school and each other and as Chairs, we would like to thank and acknowledge every single committee member (see photos below).
The PTA cannot achieve what we do without the outstanding support of our parent volunteers. They have stepped forward time and time again whether it is to assist in the bookshop, Welcome Committee, Fairs, Raffle, act as Parent Year Reps, take part in the Career Fair Day or on an ad-hoc basis, the spirit of giving soars high. Your generosity is very much appreciated and we would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for your contribution to our community.
We look forward to seeing you again after the summer break, refreshed and ready for another exciting and fruitful year.
Amani Sue and Toni Flynn
Save The Date!
The Year 13s Graduate!
The Year 13 Graduation ceremony was a wonderful occasion when students and their parents celebrated the end of their school years! The smiles on the faces of both students and parents filled the hall.
One parent commented: “As our children look forward, we, parents look back at how time has gone by so quickly.”
We would like to wish our Class of 2013, the very brightest of future and a wonderful and happy life.
Career Fair Day
Year 10 Career Day – 30th May 2013
What an amazing afternoon it was!
The Year 10 Career Day was a joint initiative by Island School & the ISPTA. It truly reflected in spirit and action what could be achieved when the school, corporate, alumni & parent community join hands for the benefit of our students.
The three speakers that presented at the Career Day spoke on Law, Financial Services & Media. Each presentation was extremely interesting & managed to stimulate the young minds that came to listen.
A big thank you to all those who represented career booths at the event & spent time engaging as well as interacting with the students. Thanks to them the students had the opportunity to hear about careers spanning: Accounting, Medicine, Psychology, Human resources, Event Management & PR, Sports Management, Graphic design, Engineering, Performing Arts, Travel & Meetings, Technology & Aviation.
It was a pleasure to be there. Anything we can do to support the school let us know…. KPMG (Accounting Career Rep)
The students were enthusiastic & positive…. Cathay Pacific Airways (Aviation Career Rep)
Thank you also for the opportunity to share knowledge with the students, they all have a bright future ahead of them….. Abercrombie & Kent (Travel & Meetings Career Rep)
Thank you for putting together an informative and valuable event for our children. What a tremendous resource we have in our parent community and also goodwill to share this information with our students! …… Year10 Parent
I am writing in as a parent whose child has benefitted immensely from the experience. There is a general assumption that these children live in Hong Kong and are global citizens so they 'have so much exposure' and 'are so aware of the world' but the key being that they are still children and though they may have these careers 'around' them, an organized structure helps their young minds logically analyze what they are being exposed to. You have certainly widened their horizons and piqued their curiosity with this event. It was more than what I had hoped for. …. Year 10 Parent (Psychology Career Rep)
Thank you to Rebecca Lucas-Timpany, all the Ex Islanders, Parents, Speakers, Career Representatives & Teachers who gave their time towards making this event a success.
Sonali Laul & Stephen Chu
Higher Education & Careers Coordinators
New PTA Forms
This year we have revamped all the PTA forms. A letter with PTA Membership, Bus Application and Information as well as a Volunteer Form was emailed to all families on the 31st of May by Island School.
We encourage you to send in the relevant forms as soon as possible so we can process the applications ready for the new academic year.
To download these forms please go to the PTA Website:
Thinking of Joining the PTA Committee?
Come and join the team...
The committee is made up of a fantastic group of parent volunteers. Our focus is on building community and working with our school.
We have quite a few parents whose children are graduating this year and we are looking for parents to fill these vacancies. We are particularly interested in parents who would like to share their skills and talents and enjoy working in a team. The committee meets once a month from September to June.
If you feel that you are able to attend these meetings and would like to be more actively involved in the PTA please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Currently, we are looking to fill these roles:
· Graphic Design
· Raffle Coordinator (A Raffle instructions manual is available and the coordinator will be working closely with the PTA Administrator)
· Parent/ Year Rep/ Volunteer Coordinator (Becky Brown is stepping down from this role to focus on the Fairs. If you like meeting people, this is the perfect role for you)
· Fair Officers (to assist the Fair Coordinators)
Our Fair coordinators are looking for enthusiastic and organized people who would like to help with the organization of the Fairs. Each person(s) would have a specific role but would work as part of a team
Amani Sue and Toni Flynn
Become a Volunteer and Experience the Difference
Would you like to stay informed and work with like-minded people?
Please consider becoming a parent volunteer. No skills or knowledge is required. All that is needed is an enthusiasm for bringing people together and a willingness to work as part of a team. Our group of parent volunteers will be more than happy to guide you through the various activities. By volunteering at Island School, you will be more connected to the school and feel part of your child’s education.
Please contact Sharon Chan on email@example.com or fill in the volunteer form on the PTA website.
PTA Shop August Opening
The PTA shop will close from June 13th and will not be reopened until August 13th.
The opening hours are 9:30am-3:30pm until the end of August.
From September onwards, the hours of operation will change slightly to:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:30am-3:30pm
Wednesday 9:30am- 2:30pm
As the shop is operated by volunteers, we would like to ask for parents to step forward and assist us during the very busy time between August 13th and the 31st.
Please contact the PTA office and speak with Sharon if you have the time to help out either in the morning shift (9:30am-12:30pm) or in the afternoon (12:30pm-3:30pm).
Job Vacancy - Part-time ISPTA Administrative Assistant
If you are looking for a part-time job or know someone who is interested, we will soon be interviewing for the role of Administrative Assistant.
This position will be part-time with the occasional requirement to work up to 4 days per week around special events, such as the school fair and raffle.
The successful applicant will be responsible for assisting the ISPTA Administrator to ensure the smooth running of the office and shops.
• Office experience and strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Enthusiasm to work with students, school staff and parents
• Friendly customer service attitude
• Fluency in English language
Work Hours: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 10:00am – 2:30pm
Interested? Please send your CV to: ISPTAL@gmail.com
Volunteers Needed to staff PTA shops in August!
The ISPTA shops will re-open on August 13. If you are in Hong Kong and can spare a few hours we would very much appreciate your help!
Many parents and students will need to purchase uniforms and stationery in those first two weeks, so the more hands on deck, the better!
We would like parent volunteers to help from 9am-12:30pm OR 12:30pm-4:00pm, from August 12 to August 30.
Please email if you are able to assist on firstname.lastname@example.org
Island School Cookbook
Parents, students and teachers have all contributed to the Island School Cookbook. You will find recipes from all over the world. Start delighting your family and friends with these tried and tested recipes that have been passed on from one generation to the next in this easy to use cookbook.
The cost is only $100 and can be purchased at the PTA office. Come in and ask Sharon, the PTA Administrator, for a copy of your own!
PTA Committee meeting minutes summary for June 3rd, 2013
- Corporate and parent representatives were very enthused and inspired - some commented on the very high caliber of IS students and all volunteered to help next year
- Students enthusiastic and positive
- Chris Binge noted this was the first time students haven spoken to people beyond their immediate family network about careers
- Potentially consider expanding it next year to Y10 - Y12
AGM / Matters for next year
- AGM 16th September 2013 - speaker is Ian Gilbert, from Independent Thinking
- AGM will be announced in newsletter and forms will go out first week of school
- First meeting of PTA in September will be before AGM and any parent is welcome to attend
- Bone marrow, request received by PTA to distribute information relating to a survey on potential donor matches
- Student request: Water Fountain - students had made a considered request for two environmentally friendly water fountains - they have devised a programme to raise funds to finance more than 60% of the purchase cost and have looked into the ongoing maintenance costs - the school support the students' proposal and Rebecca Lee confirmed that the school will cover the ongoing maintenance costs - the committee approved the allocation of up to $20K for the purchase of the fountains
Date of next meeting
- September 9th 2013
- Cash current account is approximately $1.4M (before provisions for wish list and donation for PE shirts)
- Uncommitted funds stand at just under $1 M
- Overall surplus of $251K vs $315K last year - mainly reflective of being more generous in donations and funding of wish list
- Raffle concluded final audited amount was $110802
- ISPTA membership over 98% of families have contributioned
- Chris thanked everyone for involvement in Careers Fair and noted it was a great start to the process and a good example of parents working with students
- Y6 introductory day - there were a range of activities and inter-house competition
- Great year for PTA involvement: more parent involvement this year than any other year that Chris has known also it was beyond purely social involvement with far more education related involvement, again thanked committee
- Y13 graduation and dinner dance (Kowloon Shangri-La) - one of the best dinner dances ever)
- Professional development activities for teachers across ESF a very successful collaboration of minds
- Elements planning sessions last week: discussed transcripts, portals that students and teachers will use for their reflection
- Nicola Myers Kenneth McBride fund award: presented 88 awards of $2500 each - it was an excellent ceremony - students helped with the ceremony for the first time - in addition to PTA money school contributed $30K and other donations were received - Kenneth McBride’s cousin, Katie Keenan represented the family and the family thanked IS for maintaining the memory of their son and Nicola
- Y12s are back in school for the group 4 project work to investigate different scientific issues and there will be an exhibition on Thursday 6th June, 2013
- A parent information evening is scheduled on redevelopment on June 18th – IS is committed to ensure that the necessary resources are in place to make the decant work well and Chris is confident that we can all continue to be proud of the standard of education during any period of decanting - Chris noted the importance of not trying to be too aggressive in accelerating the timeline for the school design because this will impact building time
Beyond the Island School Community…
Please click the link below if you would like to assist in the survey which takes 5 -10 minutes to complete.
Island School PTA is the owner of the copyright in all content of this publication. Distributing, modifying, copying or using any content of this publication in any manner for public or commercial purposes without written permission from Island School is strictly prohibited. Views expressed in this publication do not necessarily represent those of Island School or the English Schools Foundation.