Intermediate Staff Newsletter
For the Week of May 7, 2018
It's hard to believe, but we've made it to May! Thanks to your hard work, dedication and spirit we have completed many of the most difficult times in a school year and are moving on to the downward swing. This first week in May brings one of our favorite times of year: Teacher Appreciation Week! Although we appreciate you all year long, it's nice to dedicate this week to make sure you know what a difference you make every day! That's why we'll celebrate each of you with the help of PTO. On Friday, plan to enjoy the Gift of Time during your Eagle Period. Please bring students to the common space in your wing, where Katie, Kate and Barry will be waiting to work with your students while you enjoy some much needed time to yourself.
The month of May is jam-packed with fun and exciting events. Along with that fun comes lots of schedule changes. These changes are listed in the News To Share section but make sure you understand the schedule and the impact it has on your class.
Here's to an awesome week-celebrating YOU and all that YOU do for kids!
Katie, Kate and Barry
News to Share
2. Teaming Update! We have completed our interviews for the 6th Grade Science position and will work diligently this week to prepare for teaming assignments to be shared in next weekends updates.
3. 2018-2019 planning is underway. On Tuesday's staff meeting we will share potential Eagle Period changes. Please bring a device to provide feedback during this discussion. At Tuesday's staff meeting we will also bring copies of some building maps. If you have input about the building layout, please pick one up and return to Katie or Kate by Friday, May 11th.
4. A reminder that Linkage/Roster Verification must be completed by May 8. If you need assistance with adding students/fixing rosters, please see these resources:FAQ sheet for Roster Verification
You can also contact Katie or Jess Mamais with any questions you have.
5. There will be a choir concert for 3rd and 5th graders on May 14th at 3pm at the McCoy. If your class is at BizTown, depending on your return time, we may ask the bus to drop off choir students (or possibly all students) at the McCoy in preparation for the concert.
6. Friday, May 11th will be the final day for Intervention services. This allows our T and L team to finish assessments, review Spring data to determine Fall placements and assist in class groupings. If you have any questions, please see Katie or Kate.
7. Grade cards for the Intermediate School will be mailed home on the same schedule with MS and HS on June 6th. That means all grades must be submitted by the conclusion of teacher's final workday. Our office staff will take care of printing and mailing them.
8. There will be lunch changes next week during Entrepreneur Day, to assist with planning you can click here to see the adjustments to our lunch schedule.
9. Spring Fling Events (Field Day/Outdoor Ed/End of Year Celebration) are coming up the week of May 21st. Click here to see the schedule. Field Day will take place on the field closest to New Albany Condit Rd. New this year...opposite of Field Day activities, students and their teachers will participate in an Outdoor Adventure. More details will be shared about this portion of the day in the near future. For planning purposes, please start communicating with families that on field day students should bring their own sunscreen, water bottle and beach towel. We will share this news in our next family update but would appreciate you sharing this information as well.
10. SUPPLEMENTAL CONTRACTS
If you are interested in any of the NAIS non-athletic supplemental positions that were part of Dr. Troyer’s email on May 1 please place your interest in writing to me (either email or letter) by Friday, May 11. For the Resident Educator position, please express interest to Scott Emery (email@example.com). For the Art Show and Music Show coordinator positions, your letter should explain your proposed plans for a performance or show next year at NAIS. To locate the supplemental job descriptions, sign into Classlink, select NAPLS Human Resources and Payroll, go to Forms & Documents, scroll to Supplemental Job Descriptions, and click Academic Supplemental Job Descriptions.
11. Reminder: The Spring Assessment Window for BAS and DIBELS will open April 30 and close May 11. INTERMEDIATE SPRING WINDOW INFORMATION Note for BAS: Data needs to be entered on the BAS Spreadsheet by May 14
Who Needs Assessed: Only students who are NOT reading at the instructional benchmark goal set for each grade level and who are NOT currently being served through intervention.
Intervention, ELL, and SPED students will be assessed by their intervention teacher.
Students who have met (or exceeded) the end of the year benchmark goals, do not need to be reassessed, BUT the level you are currently instructing at in reading group should be noted on the BAS Spreadsheet.** Please note the level can be based on your running records and anecdotal notes in guided reading, it does not have to be exclusively from an official BAS.
12. A Huge Shout out to 6th grade staff that came to support the May the Fourth Be With You Dance for students in 6th-8th grades. Thank you to Melissa Bean, Tirza Cameron, Michelle Howard, Dave Howard, and Kim Hurst . Huge Props to Mrs. Bean on entering the Dance Off Competition- check out her stellar dance moves on Twitter: https://twitter.com/napls_ms/status/992742395878965249
Week at a Glance
Due to all the schedule changes coming up, we've listed all events through the end of the year. Hopefully, this helps with your planning!
Announcements: Pledge Schedule
Teacher Appreciation Week
Monday, May 7th- Team Leader Meeting 8:30
Tuesday, May 8th- Staff Meeting 8:30 in E Wing; 7:00 6th Grade BandConcert
Wednesday, May 9th- 5th and 6th Grade ELA Meetings; 4th Grade Team Meeting; Pre Alg. A Meeting 8:30
Thursday, May 10th- Science, Math 6, Math 5, Social Studies 6 Meetings 8:30
Friday, May 11th- PAC Meeting 8:30
Support Staff Appreciation Week
Monday, May 14th- Culture Committee Meeting 8:30; Derrow/Barnes/Labuhn/Heiing BizTown; 7:00 5th Grade Choir Concert
Tuesday, May 15th- 4th Grade Author Visit: 9:15-10:15 S Wing, 10:30-11:30 R Wing, E Wing
1:30-2:30 I Wing, includes 5th grade team from I-Wing as well due to Biztown; Taylor/Ballard/Cooper/Hayes BizTown; 7:00 PM 6th Grade Choir Concert and Art Show
Wednesday, May 16th- 6th Grade Author Visit 9:15-10:15 All Classes to the McCoy; Blake/Ricks/Herrmann/Weitz BizTown; Entrepreneur Day-See Lunch Changes
Thursday, May 17th- 5th Grade Author Visit 9:15-10:15 S Wing, 10:30-11:30 R Wing, 1:50-2:50 E Wing, ; Cofer/Bruce/Hill/Zipfel BizTown; Entrepreneur Day-See Lunch Changes
Friday, May 18th
Monday, May 21st- Team Leader Meeting 8:30; 4th Grade Field Day
Tuesday, May 22nd- Staff Meeting 8:30 in E Wing; 5th Grade Field Day
Wednesday, May 23rd- 6th Grade Family Chalk Night
Thursday, May 24th- 6th Grade Field Day
Friday, May 25th- Field Day Rain Date
Tuesday, May 29th-Last day for students; Staff Party
Wednesday, May 30th- Teacher Work Day (Grades submitted by the time you leave)