How To: Survive
with Robby Ellis
How to build a fire
Materials you'll need
- Tinder small materials that will light easy, like grass, shredded bark, funguses, or mosses, these materias need to be dry and shredded finely as possible for best chance to light
- Kindling medium sized materials that will catch fire easy, like dry leaves,twigs,sticks, and larger pieces of bark to catch fire they need to be small and dry
- Wood logs large material like dead, and dry wood these materials will be used to keep the fire gong once started
Methods of Building Fires
Log Cabin Method
For this method you want to build a small tepee inside of your log cabin, next you done stack logs a foot or less apart from each other in an alternating pattern around the tepee the space between the logs allow good air circulation to spread the flames light the kindling in the middle of the cabin and blow in the tepee to help the fire get going.
How to create a spark
- Flint and Steel smash flint and steel together(knife against rock or two rocks)
- Lenses if sunny angle your lenses to catch the sunlight right,focus it as much as possible on a ball of tinder(glasses,magnifying glass,any sort of glass)
- Battery if you can get battery you can use the acid to start a fire by touching the contacts of the battery to steel wool
- Lighter/Matches best option is to use a lighter or matches if possible
How to find/make clean drinking water
Other ways to get safe water
- Make beach/swamp well dig holes near water usually clean water is flowing near shorelines
- Walk downhill water flows downhill this is also good way to get un-lost
- Never drink sea water or urine, but you can boil them in a plastic bag or a container like that to purify them
How to find/make a shelter
Types of shelters
- Round Lodge you make this by slanting many long sticks into a tepee like shape until they form solid wall, this shelter will have a hole at the top so you can make a small fire inside it you can hold it together using grass, leaves an vines, it keeps out wind and cold rain.
- Leaf Hut the leaf hut is s smaller shelter made by placing twigs, and sticks into a wedge shape and forming solid wall, then you cover the shelter in leaves to insulate it.
- Wicki-Up the wicki hut is very similar too the round lodge but you reinforce it with vegetation and leaves this can be done by using twigs and branches that already have leaves on them you pack dirt and leaves in the cracks and crevices of your shelter to form a solid wall.
Dangers/Animals to be aware of on a tropical island
- Scorpions found in warm area like deserts, forests, jungles, rain forests, and tropical/sub tropical climates. Mostly nocturnal, you can find they below sea level, and even up to the heights of the Andes mountains. They are typically brown, or black and found in moist, damp areas. There average size is 2.5 centimeters, but there are 20 centimeter giants in the Jungles of Africa, New Guinea, and Central america. Death from a sting are rare, scorpions resemble a small lobster with a tail that has venomous pointed tip on it.
Black Widows small black spiders usually found in warmer areas in North America they have red, and orange spots on there abdomens, there bites can cause sweating, shaking, weakness, and disabling episodes.
Funnel-Webs are small chubby spiders with short legs they usually stay in dark places and are active at night when they hunt for there prey, their bite causes the same affects as the black widows bite.
Overall there are many dangerous, and venomous spiders to look for, your best option is to avoid them at all cost, stay way from dark warm areas.
Animals to look out for
Bears,wolves,lions,tigers,any and all snakes,animals with hooves,or horns are dangerous too avoid any and all conflict with wildlife if possible.
How to get Rescue
- Fire one of the best methods to get someones attention is to use a signal fire to create light best affect would be to use this method at night.
- Burning Trees another good way would be to start a widespread fire, though this may be dangerous and highly damaging it will attract people for miles and may get you rescue very fast.
- Smoke to produce a fire with a lot of smoke you will burn a lot of dead leaves, twigs, and wood.
- Red red is the international color for SOS if possible lay down red material in a wide open area to spell out SOS.
- Clothing spread your clothes in a tree or all over an open area.
- Natural Material when other materials aren't available you can always use trees and branches to spell out help, or SOS.
- Reflective Materials if you can get any refelctive objects you can use them to create glares to passing by planes.
First Aid when surviving
Preventing or Controlling shock is key
- When Treating injuries restore breathing, treat breaks, r fractures, and try to clam your patient
- If there are no head or chest injuries turn the person on there back with there head and chest lower then there legs, this will circulate the blood through there body faster and help control the shock.
- If its a severe head or chest injury you want to elevate the upper body sit them up if possible.
- If the injured person becomes unconscious put them face down to prevent them from choking on blood, vomit, or there tongue.
- Keep your patient warm and sheltered.
- Open airway by lifting patients neck and tilting there head back
- Keep there neck tilted and pinch their nostril's to prevent air from escaping
- Place your mouth around the patients mouth and blow air in look for chest expansion
- Once you stop blowing listen for air leaving their lungs, or try to if they are breathing
- They made many different types of shelters
- They got water from underground
- They hunted boars at a safe distance knowing thy were dangerous
- They used lenses to start there fire
- They didn't stay calm
"applying pressure." firstaid.about.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://firstaid.about.com/od/bleedingcontrol/f/Pressure-or-Gauze-for-Bleeding-Control.htm>.
"area the brown recluse would be." gettyimages. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/photo/mushrooms-on-log-in-tropical-rainforest-high-res-stock-photography/102331371>.
"area the widow would be." conserveenergy. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://www.conserve-energy-future.com/tropical-rainforest-biome.php>.
"battery fire." crrt.us. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Apr. 2016. <http://crrt.us/basic-fire-starting/>.
"Beach well." thesuvivalmom. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Apr. 2016. <http://thesurvivalmom.com/instant-survival-tip-beach-well/>.
"bear fighting." pecheur. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2016. <http://pecheur.info/en/john-west-salmon-commercials.html>.
"black scorpion." .worldnomads. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2016. <https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/greece/scorpions-and-other-nasties-in-greece>.
"black widow." people.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://www.people.com/article/black-widow-bites-vermont-woman-shaws-grapes>.
"boar." mountainmeadow. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Apr. 2016. <http://www.mountainmeadowhunting.com/MountainMeadow_HogHunts.html>.
"boar." reddit. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2016. <https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1n6m44/wild_boar_piglet/>.
"Brown Recluse." beforeitsnews. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://beforeitsnews.com/science-and-technology/2015/05/the-truth-about-the-brown-recluse-spider-greg-ladens-blog-2762724.html>.
"brown recluse bite." arachnaids. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://www.myhousecallmd.com/arachnophobia-the-truth-behind-spider-bites/>.
"Brown Scorpion." .sandiegocounty. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2016. <http://www.sandiegocounty.gov/deh/pests/scorpions.html>.
"burning tree." devianart. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2016. <http://www.deviantart.com/morelikethis/205114605>.
"bwidwbite." healthy life. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http://healthylifemed.com/black-widow-bite/>.
"cpr." redcross.ocm. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/Learn-About-Our-Programs>.
"fire preperation." wildernesssuviaval. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Apr. 2016. <http://www.wildbackpacker.com/wilderness-survival/articles/how-to-build-a-fire/>.
"flint and steel." /bp44.com/catalog/. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Apr. 2016. <http://bp44.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14>.
"funnel area." pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <http:////www.pinterest.com/pin/97460779409281429/>.
"funnel bite." sydneyspiderbite. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi9govbzobMAhVCGT4KHRrxAIUQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Falfa-img.com%2Fshow%2Fsydney-funnel-spider-bite.html&bvm=bv.119028448,d.cWw&psig=AFQjCNH5m4qRHIR9hWzAg-IPz_5jjCP2rA&ust=1460465081813757>.
"funnel web." wikipedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexathelidae>.
"how to find and purify water." indefinetelywild. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/how-to-find-and-purify-drinking-water-in-the-wildernes-1580821351>.
"Huts." brianne 8thgrade. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016. <http://brianne8thgradehumanitiesblog.blogspot.com/2009_09_01_archive.html>.
"kindling." healthmedi. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Apr. 2016. <https://www.hivehealthmedia.com/on-the-downward-spiral-the-kindling-effect-of-addiction/>.
"lense fire." survivng the aftermath. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Apr. 2016. <http://www.survivingtheaftermath.com/index.php/necessities-skills/31-how-to-start-a-campfire-yourself>.
"lenses." altechna. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://www.altechna.com/product_details.php?id=52>.
"lighter/mathes." swedishmatches. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Apr. 2016. <http://www.swedishmatch.com/en/Our-business/Lights/>.
"mirror." jillstart. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://www.jillstuart-beauty.com/en-jp/products/detail.php?jan=22054>.
"Pee." prius eebsite. N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Apr. 2016. <http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/science-nature/from-gunpowder-to-teeth-whitener-the-science-behind-historic-uses-of-urine-442390/>.
"plane crash." hcppress.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Mar. 2016. <https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hcpress.com%2Fnews%2Fupdate-on-crash-in-western-watauga-either-hes-very-lucky-or-very-smart-pilot-sustains-minor-injuries.html&bvm=bv.117868183,d.eWE&psig=AFQjCNEphgOdnOiWABc41Jmkc4zeyXHUfg&ust=1459427865904157>.
"red sos." icons.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://icons.mysitemyway.com/legacy-icon-tags/sos/>.
"Reflective Materials." heartlandhydrogardens. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://www.heartlandhydrogardens.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_99>.
"shelter." outdoorlife. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Apr. 2016. <http:///bp44.com/catalog/>.
"shock treatment." Glogster.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://www.glogster.com/ema101/hsti-shock/g-6mopse6hqvofhbrpbdg87a0>.
"smoke signals." flickr. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2016. <https://www.flickr.com/photos/grbavica/4819093836>.
"sos fire." survivaljoe. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2016. <http://www.survivaljoe.net/5-ways-to-call-for-help-in-the-wilderness/>.
"sos with tree." cnn. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/08/politics/castaways-rescue-help-sign/>.
"spread clothes." andrewskurka. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpacking-clothing-sleeping-clothes/>.
"stay calm." memes. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Apr. 2016. <http://www.memes.com/img/559095>.
"survival." bcadventures. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Apr. 2016. <http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/wilderness/survival/first.htm>.
"Tinder." pinterest. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Apr. 2016. <https://www.pinterest.com/pin/58546863878662664/>.
"Tourniqeut." webmd. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Apr. 2016. <http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/wound-care-10/slideshow-caring-for-wounds>.
"tropic scorpion." wettropics. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2016. <http://www.wettropics.gov.au/mites-ticks-and-scorpians>.
"unsafe water." leaderslight.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <http://www.leaderslight.org/unsafeWater.jpg>.
"Water." madsenpirie.files.wordpress.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 1 Apr. 2016. <https://madsenpirie.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/water-drop.jpg>.
"wilderness." wilderness.net. N.p., n.d. Web. 7 Apr. 2016. <http://www.wilderness-survival.net/danger-1.php>.
"wolve." santabanta. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Apr. 2016. <https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1n6m44/wild_boar_piglet/>.
"wood log." ignisproduct. N.p., n.d. Web. 5 Apr. 2016. <http://www.ignisproducts.com/ceramic-fireplace-wood-log-set-9pcs.html>.