The invention that revolutionized photography!
- Wet plates were originally used to develop photos but were messy and photographers had to take the picture while the plate was wet. This was inconvenient and inefficient.
- Eastman invented an emulsion-coating (nitrate coating) machine which enabled him to mass-produce photographic dry plate.
- He then used the coating on a transparent paper base that could be rolled around a spindle, thus creating the first flexible roll of film.
The Impact of Film
- Made indoor and outdoor photography easily possible to people who were inexperienced at taking pictures. This made the product marketable to the wide public.
- The small size made it portable and easy to load into a camera.
- Improved picture quality and exposure.
- enabled inventor Thomas Edison to develop the first motion picture camera in 1891.
What's the big deal?
- The film roll was a huge advancement in the world of photography and was the first modern way of developing pictures
- This was a user-friendly invention: Many people learned to use cameras after this invention which created a boost in the photography industry
- Media and press became greatly advanced with the help of film throughout the 1900's