The Red Bird Express
Building Our Future... One Child at a Time
November 23 - 25, 2015
Quote of the Week...
"People with humility don't think less of themselves, they just think of themselves less."
~ Ken Blanchard & Norman Vincent Peale
Remember the Cardinal Cares Tree and take a tag to bring cheer to a child or family in need this holiday!
Redford the Red Bird Recipient - Dawn Martinos
"Dawn is always has a smile on her face and is a ray of sunshine. Not only does her smile brighten up a room, but so does her wardrobe! She does a fabulous job of making sure our important papers are in and organized! Thanks Dawn, for everything that you do!" - Margaret Pelletier & Maria Shannon
Great Things Are Happening at Cardinal Forest!!
It was wonderful to see students and their families enjoying the yummy Thanksgiving Lunch!
Turkey Bingo was a great success!
Girls on the Run
Our students did an amazing job at the 5K race last Saturday. They received lots of support and encouragement from our staff!
Homework During Holiday Breaks
Thank you so much for all of your hard work this school year to help our students achieve at their highest! We want to make sure everyone enjoys the well-deserved upcoming breaks. To be in line with our pyramid, we will again be having “homework free breaks” during Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring breaks. Please do not assign homework over any of the long breaks. We also ask that you not have any projects due or give assessments on the Monday or Tuesday after Thanksgiving and Winter Break or the Tuesday and Wednesday after Spring Break. We will include a message in our KIT before each break letting parents know of our ”homework free breaks.”
Everyone has worked hard and needs some time to relax and rejuvenate. We hope you take advantage of the time off as well to spend time with family and take care of yourself.
We hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving Break!
Let's Conserve Energy During Thanksgiving Break!
Math Workshop Course
Details of the class:
- Class dates: 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/1
- The Spring catalog will come out December 19 and registration begins January 6th at 4pm
- All teachers that register will first be placed on the waitlist.
- Our teachers will have until January 13th at 4pm to register before teachers from other schools will be added.
Focusing on Our SIP - Mathematics Teaching Practices
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) publication, Principles to Actions, highlights a core set of high-leverage practices and essential teaching skills necessary to promote deep learning of mathematics. This week's practice focuses on the importance of questioning:
- Pose purposeful questions. Effective teaching of mathematics uses purposeful questions to assess and advance students’ reasoning and sense making about important mathematical ideas and relationships.
Farewell to Fred Allard
A Special Thank You to...
- Joe Maniscalco for supporting the PTA Bingo night by calling the first six games of Bingo.
- To all the teachers and staff who supported the PTA by welcoming parents and students to the Bingo Night.
- Lori Hollenbeck for selling Bingo Books for the PTA all evening.
- Elaine Chisenhall, Gretchen Letvin, and Deanna Doherty for supporting 6th grade parents with the Concessions for PTA Bingo.
- Joyce and team for another wonderful Thanksgiving Luncheon. They served more than 1000 meals to guests over the two days.
- Joan, Debbie, Dawn and Roxanne for decorating tables and welcoming the many guests who joined us for Thanksgiving lunch.
- Brandon Rhondes and Autumn Sterner for organizing a fun and healthy Turkey Trot.
- Heather Hendershot, Janene LeMay, Nick Wall, Zander MacDonald, Brian Shields, Kira Saiban, and Lauren Austin for supporting Girls on the Run this season. The 5K Walk/Run was held on Saturday.
- Nick Wall and Brian Shields for organizing the Athletic Club afterschool program for fifth and sixth grade students.
- Instructional Assistants for being so flexible and covering changes in schedules and situations as we have gotten our intervention time underway over the past several weeks.
- FECEP Family Meeting (9:15 - 10:15)
- FLE Parent Preview Night (6:00 - 7:30)
- Make up Pictures (9:30 - 11:00)
- Preschool Thanksgiving Play (2:30 - 3:45)
- Two Hour Early Closing @1:55
November 26 - 27
- Thanksgiving Holiday (No School)
- Counselor's Advisory Committee Meeting (8:00 - 8:40)
- Preschool Tiny Tots Concert Field Trip @ WSHS (9:30 - 11:30)
- SCA Meeting (1:05 - 1:35)
- PTA Meeting (7:00 - 8:00)
- Kid Talk Meetings (9:25 - 3:50)
- Meteorologist Visit - 2nd & 4th Grade (12:15 - 1:45)
- 6th Grade Field Trip to Irving MS - Fine Arts Performance (9:30 - 11:15)