Syria- ABC's of Culture

By: Neha Marneni

Art

Syria has many different artworks from Mosaics of Peacocks and Lions to Sculptures of Ewe's and Athletes.

https://www.kimbellart.org/collections/ancient

Syria's artworks also reflect many things, for example, their past, their religion, their culture, their life, etc.

Buildings

At the moment Syria is going through terrible times, their is a war that is breaking through and it is destroying the whole of Syria.

Communication

Internet is becoming increasingly accessible across Syria, particularly in the main cities of Damascus, Aleppo and Lattakia. Only a small number of rental properties and businesses have ADSL internet connections. Otherwise, the most common connection at home is dial-up. An increasing number of cafes, restaurants and hotels have wireless internet connections. Telephone connection is provided through landline and mobile networks.
Big image

Dress

Arab women wear a black garment called an Abayah that covers them from shoulders to feet. They also wear a head and face covers that leaves only their eyes peekin out. Underneath this disguise, she many be wearing a traditional Arabian dress, or the latest fashion from America, but no one except her will ever know.


Arab men wear a loose, one piece robe called a Didashah. They also wear a three-piece head cover. The bottom piece is a white cap often filled with holes used to hold hair in place called a Thagiyah. On top is a scarf like head cover. In the summer it is white and called a Gutrah. In the winter, it is checkered, usually red and white called a Shumaq. This piece is used to protect the head from the sun, and to cover the mouth and nose in a sand storm. On top of the Thagiyah and Shamaq/Gutrah is the Ogal. The Ogal is a black band just there to hold everything else in place.

Big image

Economy

The economy of Syria is based on agriculture, oil, industry, and services.

Big image

Government

Syria's government right now can be described as Anarchy. Right now there is war and chaos everywhere in Syria.
Big image

History

Syria's history goes a long way back, there is so much about Syria that is very interesting. All of Syria's history can be viewed on a timeline with the link below:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-14703995

Big image

Languages

Syria has several languages, the main one is Arabic. There are also several other languages and those combined is just 10% of the languages in Syria. The other 90% of the languages is Arabic.


Languages:

- Arabic

- Kurdish

- Aramaic

- Islamic

Movement/Migration

Right now Syria is going through terrible times and there is lots of movement and migration throughout Syria as families are trying to escape safely to other countries so they can stay away from the war that is breaking through.
Big image
Big image

Population

The population of Syria is nearly 20 million. Over 90 per cent are Arabs. The rest are Kurds, Armenians, and other minorities

Big image
Big image
Big image
Big image
Big image
Big image