Created by Hannah Abell
Grade Level Information
•Identify real-life connections between words and their use.
•The student will produce words for categories.
• Students state words that correspond to categories by playing a board game.
• Game board
• Game pieces (e.g., counters)
• Categories Worksheet
Creating the Game
1. Place game board, dice, and game pieces on a flat surface.
2. Taking turns, students roll the dice and move game piece the number of spaces shown.
3. Say category (e.g., space things).
4. State three or more words or phrases that correspond to the category (i.e., Mars, moon, and satellite).
5. If correct, leave game piece on the space. If incorrect, place game piece back on the previous space.
6. Continue until all students reach the end.
7. Fill out worksheet.
2. I would like to have more spaces for the students to make up their own categories and come up with three words that fit into that category. I really think that would help get the point across of what a category is.