Mali: An African Kingdom
by Richard and Eder
1217-1255 Sundiata was the first king of the kingdom of Mali.
What was Mali and where?
Mali was an ancient African kingdom that was located in the heart of West Africa.An interesting fact about Mali is that it means where the king dwells.
- Came to power in 1312 C.E.
- He expanded the empire
- Ruled for 25 years
- He traveled to Mako and donated gold to others
Facts about Mali!
- First to use the river system with railboats
- Used agriculture. Rice, millet, papaya, gourds, cotton, peanuts, cattle, sheep, goats, and poultry.
- Located in the heart of west of Africa
- To the north was the salt mines and to the south was the gold mines
- Found more goldmines than Ghana.
- Caws are based on holy Kharan
- West African culture traditions spread around the world
- Timbukta became the center for education