CROC TALK BRIEF
Nancy Ryles Elementary Newsletter ~ August 20, 2021
RECEIVING THIS EMAIL IS CONFIRMATION THAT YOUR CHILD IS ENROLLED AT NANCY RYLES ELEMENTARY FOR THE 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR!
PRINCIPAL'S MESSAGE by MONICA ARBOW
Dear Nancy Ryles Families,
We are so excited to welcome you to the 2021-2022 school year and we are thrilled to offer full day in-person instruction for all students to start the year. What a celebration! There continues to be unknowns lurking in the shadows of COVID-19 and as we learned last year, things can change very quickly. We remain hopeful, yet flexible, as we all continue to navigate the ebb and flow of COVID-19 and the impact it may have on school as well as our daily lives.
Student safety and well-being is our top priority. We continue to follow the guidance set forth by the Oregon Department of Education and Oregon Health Authority that is outlined in the Resiliency Framework. All students, staff, parents, and visitors are required to wear masks at all times when in an indoor setting, regardless of vaccination status. In addition to masks, all individuals will maintain at least 3 feet of physical distance to the extent possible, especially when indoors and around people from different households. By following these guidelines, it greatly reduces the risk of needing to quarantine in the event of a positive case as well as reduces the risk of transmission. We are working on logistics for lunch, breakfast, and limiting cohort interaction and will share those details with you in the coming weeks. Depending on grade level enrollment numbers, some students may not be able to eat in the cafeteria and will be eating in their classroom to ensure 3-ft. social distancing. As student enrollment numbers become more final, we will share more specific information as it pertains to your student.
We had a very successful summer school, thanks to our Nancy Ryles Camp Achieve Coordinator, Victoria Adair, as well the dedication of other Nancy Ryles staff who spent a month of their summer supporting students: Michele Cobain-Soto, Crystal Gittings, Shelby Adams and Rachel Woollum (20-21 temporary teachers), Mark Shivley (NR parent and BSD substitute), Bridey Sullivan (Mrs. Thompson’s Music sub who will start the year with us), Jane Roche, Bryn Mastropolito, and Page Nieslanik. Spots were limited based on capacity limits due to COVID-19 guidelines, however, we were pleased to be able to support 71 Nancy Ryles students! Thank you, Nancy Ryles Camp Achieve staff and students who dedicated part of your summer to learning and fun!
I bet you might be wondering about teacher announcements! We continue to balance classes as we welcome new students and say goodbye to moving families. Teacher announcements will most likely be made September 2, right in time for our "Meet the Teacher" event on the morning of September 3. Yes, you heard that correctly! We are planning on having our Meet the Teacher & Supply Drop event again this year! Make sure to read more details about it below. We also welcomed a few more staff members to our Crocodile Crew this summer. Make sure to see the updated staff roster below.
In closing, I want to acknowledge that the return to school may be both exciting and nerve-wracking for many students and parents. Our top priority is around care, connection, and community and we will spend intentional time on this in the first weeks of school. It's extremely important to give ourselves permission to spend time with one another to reunite, reconnect, recover, and redefine who we are at Nancy Ryles. We couldn't be more excited to welcome students back into our classrooms and look forward to the start of the year.
Please continue to enjoy the final weeks of summer and stay tuned for more information regarding return to school logistics that are specific to Nancy Ryles in our upcoming newsletters, the Croc Talk Brief. In the meantime, you may visit BSD’s Back to School Information Page as well as the Nancy Ryles Website for more information such as school times, supply lists, calendar, and general school and district information. If you have any enrollment or school questions, please contact the office at 503-256-2400.
STAFFING FOR 2021-2022
- Christine Davenport
- Amy Holland
- Janet Poulos (Mrs. Poulos is returning from Flex Online School and filling the role of Mrs. Beals who is moving to first grade. )
- Michele Cobain-Soto
- Melissa Burk (Mrs. Burk is moving from second grade to first grade and filling the role of Mrs. West, who was a temporary teacher this year.)
- Kim Beals (Mrs. Beals is moving from kindergarten to first grade and filling the role of Ms. Shaw, who will teach third grade next year.)
*This team is moving from a 4-person team to a 3-person team. Mrs. Miller will be taking on a new role of Academic Coach and Student Success Coach at Nancy Ryles.
- Rachel Tompkins
- Jocelyn Willis
- Lindsay Palmer (Mrs. Palmer most recently taught at Chehalem Elementary. She is excited to join our Nancy Ryles community. Mrs. Palmer will fill the role of Mrs. Burk, who will teach first grade next year.)
- Mindy Gates (Mrs. Gates will fill the role of Mrs. Otter, who will teach third grade this year. Mrs. Gates comes with 8+ years of experience teaching elementary. She began her teaching career in New Mexico and continued teaching after relocating to Oregon.)
- Maggie Otter (Mrs. Otter is moving from second grade and filling the role of Amber Burnett, who took a Student Success role at Sato Elementary.)
- Sarah Olson
- Megan Strickland
- Heather Shaw (Ms. Shaw will fill the role of Ms. Woollum, who was a temporary teacher.)
- Ashley Allan
- Jennifer Butler
- Tami Minnieweather
- Ryan Scribner
- Victoria Adair
- Crystal Gittings
- Bridget Peterson
- Jessica Thompson (Bridey Sullivan will be our long-term substitute while Mrs. Thompson is on maternity leave. Ms. Sullivan is a retired Beaverton School District music teacher.)
- Andrew Baird (.5 Music) (Mr. Baird comes to us with 17+ years of teaching music K-8. We share Andrew with Hiteon, where he will also be teaching .5 Music.)
- Jenny Miller (Mrs. Miller is our only full-time ELD teacher. We were reduced by .5 in ELD.)
- Vicki Charbonneau
- Karen Edwards
Student Success Coaches
- Kristi Miller (.5)
- Gretchen Miller (.5)
Special Education Team
- Page Nieslanik
- Briana Tresenriter
- Travis Laxton
Academic Coaches (formerly known as Intervention)
- Stephanie Malin (.5)
- Gretchen Miller (.5) (Mrs. Miller taught first grade last year and is moving into this position as well as a .5 Student Success Coach position.)
Academic Support Team
- Wendy Bax
- Jane Roché
- Bryn Mastripolito
- Sayali Jadhav (Mrs. Sayali will fill the role of Julie Doran, who retired this summer. Mrs. Sayali comes to us with a variety of experiences from software test engineer to working with students with ASD to being a paraeducator in the district.)
- Angie Kawaguchi (Mrs. Kawaguchi subbed last year as a one-on-one assistant from April to June and will continue this position for the 21-22 school year. She has been subbing in the district for the past few years.)
- Jessie Newton
- Peggy Burg (Mrs. Burg is starting the year on leave to care for her mother who is experiencing health challenges. Pam George will her sub to start the year.)
- Erin Osborne
- Joseph Chung
- Jessie Thomas (Mrs. Thomas will share the Technology/STEM role with Mr. Chung and will teach K-2)
- Meghan O'Loughlin
- Jami Lapp
- Regina "Gina" King (Ms. Gina will fill the role of Sue Franco, who retired this summer.)
- Patty Fedr
Technology Support Specialist
- Nathan Allan
- Sam Pannu (daytime)
- Nestor Solis (evening)
- Patty Fedr
- Mary Huang
- Monica Arbow
KINDERGARTEN - IMPORTANT INFORMATION
September 8-9 -- Kindergarten Assessments by appointment only. The link for scheduling your appointment will be sent out next week. Please contact the office if you need assistance making the appointment.
Friday, September 10 -- Kindergarten students whose last name begins with A-L will attend.
Monday, September 13 -- Kindergarten students whose last name begins with M-Z will attend.
Tuesday, September 14 -- All kindergarten students will attend.
MEET THE TEACHER & INFORMATION/FUN FAIR
Starting at 9:00 a.m. on the blacktop/field is an Information/Fun Fair sponsored by the NRCO (our parent group). The NRCO will have an information table as well as Beaverton City Library, Girl Scouts, Club K (before & after school care) and others!
Play Fit Fun will have activities on the field for students and parents to enjoy starting at 9:30 a.m.
We hope you can join us!
If you have not completed your fall verification process through ParentVUE, we encourage you to do it as soon as possible. These verifications are meant for currently enrolled students. We encourage parents to complete the required annual process before school begins. If you don’t complete this process before the start of the school year, it doesn’t mean your child isn’t enrolled in our schools. Verification simply allows you to double-check important information such as emergency contacts and any health/medication requirements are up-to-date in our system.
Click on the “Family Updates and New Student Enrollment” tab in the top right-hand corner and “Verification and Family Updates” from the drop-down menu on the next screen to start the verification process. A message will display in your parent portal with a link to the online verification screens for your review.
If you have not activated your ParentVUE account or if you have access concerns, please contact your school (not the District’s Central Office). If you have forgotten your ParentVUE password, please follow these instructions to reset.
Helpful links for more information:
● Back-to-School Verification (with step by step instruction video)
Thank you for ensuring that we have the most accurate information on your student.
Here is the school supply list for 2021-2022. It can also be found on the Nancy Ryles website.
ParentSquare - NEW BSD COMMUNICATION PLATFORM
The Beaverton School District invites you to join ParentSquare, our new communication platform to connect families to the district, school and teachers. It will replace SchoolMessenger, Remind, Talking Points and any other texting/messaging apps that your school or teachers may have used in the past. It’s important to note that ParentSquare will not replace ParentVUE, StudentVUE, Canvas or Seesaw.
To activate your account download the App or go to parentsquare.com
To sign up, you will need to enter the email you have listed in our student information system (ParentVUE).
If you’re not associated with the District and have received this invitation in error, please contact Beaverton School District at 503‑356‑4656.
ParentSquare provides a safe way for administrators, teachers, staff and parents to:
Receive emergency notifications
Send and receive district, school and class information in your preferred language
Share pictures and files
See calendar items
Sign up for conferences
And much more… all in one place!
District, school, grade level and classroom information will be sent to your computer and/or phone via email and/or text. Or you can download the free iOS or Android app.
BSD has a ParentSquare webpage with an overview, Frequently Answered Questions and other handouts/resources. We encourage you to check it out! BSD ParentSquare Webpage
We’re happy to have you on board. Thank you for joining!
NRCO NEWS & EVENTS
Play Date at the Park! Join us for informal grade-level playground meet-ups. Meet new friends and reconnect with your forever friends! It's also a great time for parents to chat.
Saturday, August 28
- Kindergarten -- 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 1st grade -- 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.
- 2nd grade -- 3:00 - 5:0 p.m.
Sunday, August 29
- 3rd grade -- 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- 4th grade -- 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.
- 5th grade -- 3:00 - 5:0 p.m
Planning for Fall
Volunteer opportunities will be posted soon! Make sure you're ready to sign up by completing your application with the district.
Let's Be Social
NRCO - LET'S BE SOCIAL
FREE & REDUCED LUNCH APPLICATIONS
Did you know that your meal benefits application provides more than just free meals for your student?
Your free and reduced meal application also means:
- Increased funding for schools to ensure students receive the support they need.
- Discounts on fees associated with applying for college
- Discounts on athletic participation fees
- Discounts on some testing fees
- Fee waiver for student device damage and loss protection program
So even though all students will receive free meals during the 2021-22 school year, you'll still want to fill out the application.
To apply, head to our website:
2021-2022 SCHOOL CALENDAR IMPORTANT DATES
2021-2022 IMPORTANT DATES
Friday, September 3 - Meet the Teacher (8:30 - 9:30 a.m.)
Friday, September 3 - Information/Fun Fair sponsored by the NRCO (starting at 9:00 a.m.)
Wednesday, September 8 - First Day of School (Grades 1-5)
Friday, September 10 -- Half of Kindergarten (Last name beginning A - L)
Monday, September 13 -- Other Half of Kindergarten (Last name beginning M - Z)
Tuesday, September 14 - All Kindergarteners Attend
Wednesday, September 15 -- Back to School Night (tentative schedule)
- 5:40 - 6:00 p.m. - Principal's Welcome in the cafeteria
- 6:00 - 6:40 p.m. - Classroom Session 1
- 6:45 - 7:30 p.m. - Classroom Session 2
Tuesday, October 12 -- Picture Day
Parent/Teacher Conference Dates for 2021-2022
Wednesday, October 27 -- Parent Teacher Conferences (4:00 - 8:00 p.m.)
Thursday, October 28 -- Parent Teacher Conferences (8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.)
October 28-29 -- NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
Wednesday, April 20 -- Parent Teacher Conferences (4:00 - 8:00 p.m.)
Thursday, April 21 -- Parent Teacher Conferences (8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.)
April 21-22 -- NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
Click here for the 2021-2022 School Calendar.
You can also find the calendar on the Beaverton School District website.
SOCIAL MEDIA CONTACTS
Nancy Ryles Facebook: Nancy Ryles Elementary School
Nancy Ryles Instagram: nancyryleselementary
The NRCO Facebook page is: facebook.com/NRCO1
The NRCO Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/nrco_nancyryleselementary/
We encourage you to bookmark our website as we keep it up to date.