News and events
A Message from the Principal:
January 5, 2024
Oxbow Creek Families,
Welcome to 2024! I sincerely hope this year brings you and your family many opportunities to create wonderful memories. A fresh new year is a perfect time to reflect and focus on the things that are most important to us. Here at school, we talk a lot about starting over, trying again and making a fresh start when we might make a mistake or stumble! Sometimes, we might need to just shift our mindset to help us persevere through those challenges.
This month we will focus on doing just that as we learn about the character trait: Perseverance. We define perseverance as pushing yourself to work through obstacles and challenges. We know learning does not always come easily to our students, but we hope they can learn to persevere when things are challenging. Some skills may come easier than others, but learning to persevere is a skill that can be used in every area of life. What does perseverance look like in your household? How do you talk about perseverance with your kiddos?
I look forward to connecting with students about ways they've shown perseverance this month.
Mrs. Monson - Oxbow Creek Principal
Enrollment Applications for 2024 - 2025 due January 15th
Applications for in-district transfer and open enrollment for the 2024-2025 school year must be completed by January 15. In-district transfer and open enrollment applications are available to download on the district enrollment page or for pickup at school.
The priority application period for NorthWest Suburban Integration School District (NWSISD) specialty schools was October 16 through December 31.
Incoming Kindergarten families (24-25 school year) can expect to see more information coming soon in our February newsletter.
Winter conference signups will be available later this month. An email will be sent to families with a link to sign up.The dates and times for winter conferences are as follows:
Tues. February, 20 7:30-8:30AM and 1:30-8:20PM
Thurs. February, 22 7:30-8:30AM and 4:10-8:20PM
Upcoming Literacy Events
We are excited for some upcoming literacy events and activities at Oxbow. We hope there will be many opportunities for your family to be IMPACTED and INSPIRED by books this year!
February is officially "I Love To Read!" month. Hopefully these January events will kick off the year with excitement around books and have us ready to love reading even more in February and beyond!
- Thursday, January 18: PTO-Sponsored "Literacy Night": BOOKS CAN IMPACT AND INSPIRE. Doors open at 5:45 for a book grab (gently used books--while supplies last).
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, January 24, 25, 26: Book Collection
- Before school, students can turn in gently used books in exchange for book credits for our Book Swap (2 books=1 book credit).
- Tuesday/Wednesday, January 30/31: Oxbow Creek's annual "Book Swap". This event takes place during the school day.
- Watch for upcoming information about Oxbow Creek's Book Fair in February.
Arts & Academic Expo
Oxbow's 24th Arts and Academic Expo is scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 29th from 5:30-8:00 p.m. All students are encouraged to submit a project. This successful event is possible because of parent volunteers. If you are interested in joining the Expo committee or helping the week of, please email Alece Henderson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Items To Note
- Please have your child dressed for outdoor recess all winter long! We go outside for recess every day unless the temperature drops below zero or the windchill is below -10 degrees.
- With colder weather upon us, please consider sending in a complete set of extra clothes for your student. Sometimes, the little ones don't quite make it in time when removing the extra layers as well as clothing can become wet from the snow and ice.
Accommodations for children with special medical needs can be made with the health office; written documentation from a doctor will be required. Also, it is imperative that you label your child's winter clothing with their name, so it can be returned if it is lost/misplaced.
- The Health Office needs your help! Would you consider donating a new package of boys or girls (size small) underwear? We are going through approximately 6 changes of clothes a day here in the Health Office and are running out of smaller sizes.
- New phone number or email? Please log onto your AH Connect Account, go to "My Student Info" and click on "Online Registration." Thank you for updating your contact information. It is imperative that we have the correct information for your student.
- We are committed to helping families in need of assistance with food, clothing, household items and some basic services. Please contact Oxbow Creek's Social Workers if your family is in need. All communication is confidential.
Upcoming events and volunteer opportunities:
Book Swap: We need parent volunteers to help with our book swap collection days, Jan 25, 26, 27 and book swap selection days, Feb 1 & 2. Click on the link for more details: 2023 Book Swap
Book Fair: The Scholastic Book Fair is a favorite event at Oxbow every year! All proceeds go directly to the media center. Our Book Fair will run from Monday, February 13 - Wednesday, Feb 22. Sign up here to help: 2023 Book Fair Sign Up
Expo Committee: Our annual Art & Academic Expo is coming up on Thursday, March 2nd. We need a lot of help both with planning and executing this event. Please email Alece.Henderson@ahschools.us if you’re able to help! We’ll send a sign up genius out soon to help the week of the event.
Yearbook: Please share photos you have taken at our events with the yearbook staff! Email them to email@example.com. Include any information available such as grade, classroom and event.
Did you know? There’s a link at the bottom of my emails with all current sign up geniuses, check this link regularly!
Winter Staff Appreciation is just around the corner! Look for communications soon about ways to help your Oxbow PTO support and say thank you to our teachers and staff during conferences!
Finally, a HUGE thank you to all the volunteers that have spent countless hours
this year working on the spelling velcro mats! You know who you are! Check out the above photo to see the thank you card from our teachers!
Volunteer Services Coordinator
Oxbow Creek Elementary
29th Annual School Bus Safety Poster Contest
The Anoka-Hennepin transportation department is accepting submissions for the 29th annual school bus safety poster contest. Each school will host their own poster contest during Winter School Bus Safety Week (Jan. 8-12th).
We are inviting students at all grade levels to submit their best artwork for the competition.
- Poster paper will be available to students in the office. Please note that each student is only allowed one piece of poster paper and group submissions are not allowed.
- Completed posters will need to be submitted to the Oxbow Creek office by Noon on Monday, Jan. 30th.
The objective of the contest is to encourage students to think about bus safety and provide opportunities for activities and discussion during winter school bus safety week.
- Please dress in warm winter clothing such as hat, mittens and boots - bright colors if possible.
- Please be on time at the bus stop.
- Please wait for the bus several feet further off the road in a safe place in winter weather.
- Please use the handrail when boarding or exiting the bus to prevent slipping and injuring yourself on icy road surfaces or steps.
- Please move away from the bus to a place where you and the driver can see each other after you exit the bus.
- Please cross at least 10 feet in front of the bus after getting the all clear signal from the driver before leaving the curb.
- Please keep all school materials in a backpack.
- Please do not stand or play on snow piles at the bus stop to avoid sliding into the street in the path of oncoming traffic.
- Please do not attempt to retrieve your books or lunch box from around or underneath the bus until after it has cleared the unloading zone.
- Please do not push or shove when getting on or off the bus.
- Please do not chase after the bus or attempt to grab the rear bumper.