May 7, 2016
Happy Mother's Day!
5/9: 3rd, 4th, & 5th (retakes) Math
5/10: 3rd, 4th, & 5th (retakes) Reading
5/11: 5th Science
5/12: STAAR Make-Ups
5/13: STAAR Make-Ups
- Thank you for reminding families no visitors on STAAR days, including make-up days!
- All recess will occur at the fitness center.
- Thank you for being present on STAAR days as this provides a familiar and safe educational environment for all our Texans.
- Thank you for following district expectations during STAAR week.
- Students attend specials as usual for non-testing grades.
- Thank you for encouraging quiet in the hallway as students will be testing around the building.
- Thank you for being flexible with lunch schedules in case of any last minute testing adjustments!
- Please feel free to wear jeans and BES top or red, white, and blue on STAAR testing days.
Please let Tonya or Jamie know if you have any questions.
- AmAzInG staff appreciation week!
- Wonderful conversations this week and last during summative conferences! We enjoyed celebrating successes of the year and talking about goals moving forward. Thank you to each of you for your candor and insight!
- Student voice driving instruction in second grade! Visit with Christine to see an awesome example of a student survey!
- Fabulous conversations on Tuesday during our Learning Leaders meeting! Thank you to all who attended and discussed how we are continuing to grow and learn together as a campus. Great ideas came out of transparent conversations!
- No subs on Monday!
- Congrats to Al's class for winning the Raising Cane's party!
- Thank you everyone who attended Chick-Fil-A night!
- Please take a moment to take the Learning Commons' survey: http://goo.gl/forms/Uo5IKO1wYd
- Sign official summative forms in your boxes on Monday afternoon. Please return to Denise.
Professional Learning Opportunities
- GCISD: For a list of GCISD summer learning opportunities, click here.
- Science: Each campus is encouraged to send one teacher per grade-level to Inquiry and one to CIE refreshers. Please click here for more information.
- GCISD Innovative Teaching with Technology Conference: If you are attending the GCISD Innovative Teaching with Technology Conference on June 14, please let us know by placing your name on this list.
- Math Book Study: As we grow in our capacity to serve GCISD students, we invite you to be a part of an exciting book study hosted by the GCISD math department!
- Humanities Learning Opportunity: Check our the link for LOTS of learning opportunities.
- GT Update for 2016-2017: June 21 GT 6 hour update featuring Ian Byrd. He will be presenting differentiation strategies and the training is close by at the PDEC.
- GCISD Summer Learning Opportunities: Click here for a list of district offerings.
- Summer 2016 Instructional Technology & PBL Learning Opportunities:https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/document/d/161Xh5FpUcruprr06QGmWZoQ-kVEC2_sAg4I_slKP_Pw/edit?usp=sharing
Mistakes happen! We all make them. However, what do they mean? Take a minute to read the following article about four different types of mistakes. Thank you Carolyn for sharing this article!
This week our PTA showered us with gratitude! They showed their appreciation for the work each of us does through delicious meals each day, prize patrol gifts, and words of affirmation. Thank you for taking a moment to send them a note of gratitude.
Tweet of the Week
@weareteachers: Every kid is one caring adult away from being a success story!
- Math: Click here for the latest edition of the Math Minute!
- Summer Programs: This summer we will offer courses for students completing K-6th grades. Our program brochure is available online on the Summer Enrichment page and a limited amount of printed brochures will be sent out to all elementary campuses the week of March 28th. If parents need assistance with the online registration or have questions, you can direct them to the Summer Programs Office which is located in the GCISD Tax Office this year. The number is (817) 251-5206 and the office will open Monday, March 28th.
Diverstiy in the Classroom: Boarder Crossers is hosting two events May 21 or May 23, for a $35 fee. Let Jamie know if you are interested in attending. Check out this link for more information: http://www.bordercrossers.org/get-involved/#events
Mark your calendars for the following BES spirit nights:
All staff will be meeting at 3:05 p.m. in the Learning Commons on Tuesday afternoon. This will be a brief meeting discussing field day expectations.
May 10: No PLCs STAAR testing
May 17: Tech PLC
May 23 (special Monday meeting): Student class placements
May 24: RtI
May 31: No PLCs 5th grade softball game
- 5/10: Zoe's
- 5/17: Chop House Burger
- 5/31: Menchie's
Career Day: 4th and 5th Career Day is . We will be switching 4th and 2nd grade specials times.
Feed Our Kids Food Drive: KC Club is organizing one last food drive for the GRACE Feed Our Kids program. We are collecting nonperishable foods like jars of Peanut Butter, Jelly, Individual packs of chips, crackers, cookies, fruit cups, water, and juice boxes. We will be collecting from . The WINNING grade level that collects the most items will get a 30 minute extra recess monitored by myself and the 5th grade KC Club. (If 5th grade wins I will figure something else out) I will send each grade level a blurb to put in their newsletters.
Service Opportunities: Please let Jamie or Tonya know if you are interested
- Website: One staff member from BES to manage and update the BES website.
- DEC: One staff member along with one parent from each campus serves on the District Excellence Committee (DEC) for a two year commitment. The DEC is like our CEC, but making decisions at the district level. Thank you Tonya for representing BES on DEC for the past two years!
Our goal is to meet with staff members on Friday to discuss assignments for 2016-2017.
At this time, we have the following openings:
- One teaching position
- Learning liaison
Dates to Know
- August 2: Enrollment completion
- August 6: GCISD Back to School Fair
- August 15: Welcome back staff!
- August 16: Convocation at GHS
- August 17: Workshop
- August 18: Staff workday & meet the teacher
- August 19: T-TESS in the morning & staff work time in the afternoon
- August 22: First day of school!
- August 26: Welcome back & Rachel's Challenge kick-off assembly 2:00 p.m.
- September 2: Dad's Club Breakfast
- September 5: Labor Day Holiday
Week at a Glance
- STAAR Math
- STAAR Reading
- ALL Staff Meeting 3:05 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Learning Commons
- Zoe's Spirit Night
- STAAR Science
- Start of BES A to Z. Check your e-mail Wednesday afternoon!
- Happy Birthday Susan!
- STAAR make ups
- STAAR make ups
- Spirit Day
- Library books due
- GHS Football Readers at 8:45 a.m. Please indicate here if your grade-level and/or class would like a reader.