EBE Home Connections
May 8, 2022
Weekly Message from Mr. Hanzeli
This past weekend I accompanied my 96 year old mother to one of her favorite activities, opening night at the opera. On Mother's Day, we rightfully focus our attention on the gratitude we have for the love and lessons passed along over many years. One of my mother's grounding beliefs that she encouraged in me was to try and take care of those who 'may not have.' I thank her for the enduring impact she has had on my life and share forward my appreciation to anyone who is or has served in the role of mother for the incredibly complicated work you do to nurture, love, shape, and send forward our children.
Here are a couple of key reminders for the coming week:
- Kindergarten Registration Continues: Thank you to those who came on our kindergarten registration night. As you see friends and family in the Stanwood-Camano / Elger Bay community with a child to register for kindergarten, please let them know they can come by the school or register online (directions below). Thank you for spreading the word.
- Camp Elger Bay 2022: Our grade 5 students will be doing a series of camp activities on the days of June 6-9 that will include a field trip to the State Park as well as indoor and outdoor activities on site here at Elger Bay. The G5 teachers (Mrs. James, Mr. Brewer, and Miss Smith) are sending out an invite to their families to consider volunteering for parts of those days. Please consider that opportunity and let your child's G5 teacher know if you can help.
Elger Bay Expectations (repeat): You may have heard that we are emphasizing student behavior across the school. We call these the Elger Bay Explorer Expectations. With Spring in the air it is our goal is to re-establish and remind students of behavior expectations and routines throughout the school day. We are teaching our students about the Explorer Expectations in the classroom, on the playground, cafeteria, hallway...everywhere. As an initial part of this program, we have implemented the use of "Explorer Bucks" that, when earned, allows students to enjoy selected prizes and sometimes other rewards. Many of the rewards are individual and some are earned for a whole class in order to promote students working together to make and keep Elger Bay a great place for students to learn and grow. For a closer look at the expectations we are teaching and reinforcing, here is a link to the Elger Bay Expectations.
- Grade 5 Human Growth and Development / HIV Instruction (repeat): This item is for the families of grade 5 students and is notice of this annual unit of study. We have sent a hard copy letter to each grade 5 family. There are no changes to the content that will be covered this year and there is an opportunity for G5 families to preview the materials in advance of the unit being presented. Here is an electronic copy of that preview night letter (5/18, Stanwood Elementary, 6:00-7:00) for G5 families. In the near future our G5 team will be deciding which days in June they will be providing this instruction
2022-2023 KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION
You may register your student ONLINE or dropping by the office for a packet to complete.
REGISTER ONLINE: New Student and Kindergarten Registration for 2022-2023
If you come by the office in person, please bring:
- Registration Forms
- Copy of their birth certificate (or other age verification document, as noted)
- Immunization records.
For enrollment purposes, we accept birth certificates, adoption decrees, baptismal certificates, immunization records, previous school records, or entry in a family tree. Other documents not outlined here may also support age verification.
Students entering kindergarten must be 5 years old by August 31, 2022.
Please call us at 360.629.1290 if you have any questions.
I will leave this button here for parents of G3-G5 students who need a quick reminder of the days their child will be testing.
Monday, May 9, 2022
Washington Comprehensive Assessment Program Assessment Window Continues (grades 3-5)
Monday, May 9, 2022
MAP: Measurement of Academic Progress assessment Window Continues (grades K-5)
Wednesday, May 18, 2022
Grade 5 Human Growth and Development Preview Night, Stanwood Elementary, 6:00-700
Friday, May 27, 2022
EBE True Compass / Character Strong Virtual Recognition Assembly
Monday, May 30, 2022
Memorial Day, No School
Monday, June 20, 2022
Last Day of School, 11:00 Dismissal
Friday Family Message, May 6, 2022 (Repeat)
This is a week of celebrations! From nursing staff to certificated staff to food service staff, we are so fortunate to have a strong and cohesive team. We are dedicated to serving students and families and the work of our staff is deeply appreciated.
Wednesday, May 11 is National School Nurse Day, recognizing the contributions these health care professionals make every day in the lives of our students, staff, and families. Our school nurse team has worked hard to keep our community safe during the past two years of the pandemic as we implemented COVID-19 protocols with countless changes along the way. This is on top of the work our nurses do every day dealing with students’ health issues. We can’t thank them enough for all they do and we are so grateful for their service.
In case you were not aware, this week has also been dedicated to celebrating our fantastic teachers and other certificated staff! We wouldn’t be who we are today if it weren’t for our outstanding certificated staff. I saw this poster in the staff room at Twin City Elementary and I agree with the sentiment!
National School Lunch Hero Day
Today, May 6, is School Lunch Hero Day, honoring the work of our food service staff in preparing and serving safe and healthy meals in our schools. School Lunch Hero Day provides the opportunity for the community to thank these hard-working heroes who ensure that our students are provided with meals each school day.
Developmental Preschool Openings
The developmental preschool program at Stanwood Elementary School is seeking students for the 2022-23 school year. The preschool is part of the special education department and includes highly trained staff who work to provide an inclusive experience for students. This is accomplished by providing an integrated fee-based program for students who are not qualified for special education. If you are interested in having your three or four-year-old child considered, please contact Ghvette Bergstrom at (360) 629-1250.
Apprenticeship Career Day
Workforce Snohomish will hold an Apprenticeship Career Day from 9 a.m. to 2:10 p.m. on Wednesday, May 11 at Stanwood High School. The event for Stanwood HS and Lincoln Hill HS students will feature representatives from a variety of apprenticeship programs with hands-on informational booths. This is a great time for students to learn about the opportunities available to them after they graduate.
Kindergarten Registration Underway for 2022-23
Welcome to the Class of 2035! Kindergarten registration is open in the Stanwood-Camano School District for the 2022-23 school year. To register for kindergarten, your student must be five years old before September 1, 2022. Please visit your resident school (or online at: www.stanwood.wednet.edu/news/general/new_student_and_kindergarten_registration) to register. For more information, please call Rona Olson at 360-629-1237.
May is Water Safety Month
Our local YMCA will hold its annual Safety Around Water (SAW) program from June 20 to 30. The program teaches children of all ages that water can be fun, not feared if you know how to stay safe in and around water. Knowing how to be safe around water is one of the most essential life skills we can teach our children. It gives them confidence and saves lives. SAW is a grant-based swim lesson program offering eight free swim lessons focused on water safety skills to children in our community who may not otherwise have the opportunity to learn to swim. Please contact the Stanwood-Camano YMCA for more information.
Deborah Rumbaugh, Ed.D.
EBE Absence Excusal Procedure Options (REPEAT)
It is very important that you excuse your child’s absence(s) within 24 hours of returning to school.
Excusal Method OPTIONS
- Call our office line (360) 629-1290 and leave a message or talk with a secretary. This line will take your calls and voice messages 24/7.
- You will receive a Daily Attendance Email whenever your student is marked with an unexcused absence. Click on the absence form link in the email and fill out the details.
- Send in a written note or email to the office that includes the students full name (first and last), dates of absence(s), and signature. If emailing, please send to both of the following addresses: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop by the office in person and communicate the absence information to one of the secretaries.
- Establish a Stanwood Camano School District Family Access account and go online to excuse each absence.
This button is here if you need to quickly connect to the Elger Bay PTA Facebook Homepage.
SCSD Non Discrimination Statement
The Stanwood-Camano School District does not discriminate in employment, programs, or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX/Affirmative Action Officer and Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Maurene Stanton (email@example.com), or the Section 504/American Disabilities Act Coordinator, Robert Hascall (firstname.lastname@example.org) Stanwood-Camano School District, 26920 Pioneer Hwy, Stanwood, WA 98292. Telephone: (360) 629-1200.
El Distrito Escolar de Stanwood-Camano School District no discrimina en sus programas o actividades por motivos de sexo, raza, credo, religión, color, origen nacional, edad, condición de veterano de guerra o grado militar, orientación sexual, expresión de género o identidad, discapacidad o uso de perro guía entrenado o animal de servicio, y ofrece igualdad de acceso a los Boy Scouts y a otros grupos de jóvenes especificados. El empleado mencionado a continuación ha sido designado para atender consultas y quejas de supuesta discriminación: Título IX / Oficial de Acción Afirmativa y Coordinador de Cumplimiento de Derechos Civiles, Maurene Stanton (email@example.com), o la Sección 504 / Coordinador de la Ley de Discapacidades Estadounidenses, Robert Hascall (firstname.lastname@example.org), Distrito Escolar Stanwood-Camano, 26920 Pioneer Hwy, Stanwood, WA 98292. Teléfono: (360) 629- 1200.