Becoming a New Parent
Bonding with your infant
Pick toys that are colorful that the baby can follow with their eyes. Toys that make sounds and noises are also good to get your baby involved. Toys with buttons and pulling levers are great to help your baby explore. Good examples of appropriate toys are:
- Baby gym
- Soft books and building blocks
- Teething toys
- Musical/ Chime toys
Pros and Cons of Breast and Bottle Feeding
Breast feeding is a great and natural way to feed your baby. It is healthy for the mom and baby. It is inexpensive and a great way to give the baby all of the immunities and nutrients they need. It is also a great way for the mom and baby to bond. Cons to breast feeding include being time consuming. Also the baby may not be able to latch on to feed. It can also be difficult for the Dad to be involved during feeding time.
Bottle feeding is a very convenient way to feed. You're able to feed your baby anywhere at anytime. It is also a good way for other people to bond with your baby by getting time to feed. Cons of bottle feeding could be the expenses. Also time consuming because you are going to have to wash bottles, make bottles all the time. Some babies may have issues with the formula, so you would have to buy a special type of formula.
2-4 weeks your baby can have orange juice or vitamin-c supplements.
At 4 weeks you can give them fluoridated water to start helping them grow their teeth.
At 3 months your baby can begin eating cereals wich provide iron and taste differences. Cereals also provide b-vitamins.
3-4 months your baby can start eating mashed hard cooked egg yolks which provide iron and protein.
At 4 months they can start eating puréed fruits and vegetables that give vitamins.
6 months they can begin eating puréed meats to get protein and iron.
7 months babies can start getting small pieces of breads and pastas to get B-vitamins and carbohydrates.
After the first year your baby can start having strained and chopped adult foods to get all of the nutrients they need.
Characteristics of a Healthy Child
- A healthy child will sleep soundly during the night.
- They will eat without having to coax them to eat.
- They will gain steadily in weight and height over the months.
- Their teeth are in good and healthy condition.
- They have few aches and pains.
- A healthy child enjoys group and individual activities.
- They are alert,active, cheerful, and interested in their surroundings.
SIDS Prevention and Crib Saftey
- The crib's mattress should be firm and tight fitting into the crib.
- Nothing should be inside the crime while the baby is in there.
- Never put anything over the top of your babies head.
- Always put the baby to sleep on his or her back.
- Dress the baby in a one piece sleeper.
- Do not let the baby sleep with you.
- If you use a pacifier, use one without a string.