By: Tanya Da Silva
- Sonia Sotomayor was born on June 25, 1954, in the Bronx, New York.
- She was married to politician Kevin Noonan for 7 years and has no children.
- Her parents are both Puerto Rican.
- She was raised a Catholic and grew up in Puerto Rican communities.
- As a child, she struggled to do well in school because she didn't know English.
- She attended Cardinal Spellman High School in the Bronx.
- She was on the forensics team and was elected to the student government.
- She graduated as valedictorian in 1972.
- She went to Princeton University and recieved the M. Taylor Pyne Prize, which is the highest honor Princeton awards.
- She graduated from Yale Law School and passed the bar exam in 1980.
- Her desire to be a judge and on the Supreme Court was first inspired by the TV show Perry Mason.
- In 2009, she became the first Latina Supreme Court Justice in U.S. history.
- Her father died in 1963 when she was only 9 years old.
- She's the third women on the Supreme court.
- She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was 8 years old.
Sonia Sotomayor is an important role model because:
- She became a U.S. District Court Judge in 1992
- She was raised to the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals in 1998.
- She became the first Latina Supreme Court Justice in U.S. history.
Why I Chose this Historical Figure
- I think Sonia Sotomayor is not only a role model for Hispanics but also for women in general.
- Through hard work and dedication, she accomplished everything she set out to do.