Kickemuit Middle School
Husky Highlights: January 20, 2020
Hello KMS Families!
Happy Monday! We hope you enjoyed the long weekend!
Please review the information below and let us know if you have any questions.
Your KMS Administration Team
Dr. Rosemary Burns | Grade 8 Administrator
Mr. David Patota | Grade 7 Administrator
Mrs. Michelle Clifford | Grade 6 Administrator
Mr. Frank DeVall Jr. | Dean of Students
List of Information & Reminders included in this Newsletter
- RI Author Visits KMS!
- KMS Artists! | Mrs. Camara & Mr. Keefe
- Taking a STAAND & Creating Promise Wings!
- Grassroots Change Award | Ms. Leach's Students @ RI Civics Day ~ Generation Citizen
- Congratulations to the KMS Wreslting Team!
- 2020-2021 School Calendar Vote
- Spring Musical | Auditions start today!
- Science Olympiad Meetings
- Coding Club on Wednesday!
- "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition
- KMS PTO Updates
- School Store: Now open on Fridays!
- Athletics Updates
- Buzz. Buzz. Spelling Bee Time!
- 6th Grade Band | First Performance January 22nd
- NJHS | Meeting Date & Induction Ceremony Info
- Math Peer-Tutoring | Now Available!
- Community Service Club | January 23rd
- Screenagers: Next Chapter | Open to the Public
- Valentine's Dance | Save the Date
- Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
- Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
- PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
- Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
- Bristol Theatre Company presents: Disney's Frozen Jr
- Bristol Youth Flag Football open to K-6 Girls and Boys
1. RI Author Visits KMS!
More about the author: http://www.ethangilsdorf.com/
2. "Every child is an artist" -Pablo Picasso | Mrs. Camara's & Mr. Keefe's Artists!
Mrs. Camara's Art Class
Inspired by dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh's color palette and textures, grade 8 students created bird paintings. Students were introduced to Van Gogh's history and the use of textures called impasto in his paintings.
The use of color and layers of mix media was an important factor that was introduced to the class and artist techniques. Students utilized Van Gogh's techniques of painting with urgency, using thick paint with graphic brush strokes, known as impasto in the background of painting. The group of student walked to the Kickemuit River looking for Egrets, Cranes and Herons which was inspired by homework research of birds.
National Visual Arts Standard 1-6 were applied to this lesson.
Mr. Keefe's Art Class
Students in grade seven created artworks based within the tradition of observing still life objects. The resulting charcoal drawing include various geometric forms and a drawing mannequin.
As students worked to capture the contours of the objects they compared height, width and distance between forms, as well as the play of light on the given object's surface.
Using shading techniques, students heightened the illusion of three dimensionality within their artworks, controlling value changes, contrast and the development of shallow space
3. Taking a STAAND & Creating Promise Wings!
Next STAAND Meeting: January 28th @ 2PM in the Cafeteria.
STAAND will meet every 2 weeks on Tuesdays.
4. Grassroots Change Award | Ms. Leach's Students @ RI Civics Day ~ Generation Citizen
5. Congratulations to the KMS Wrestling Team!
6. 2020-2021 School Calendar | Vote today!
Visit link below to view calendars and submit survey with your feedback: https://www.bwrsd.org/Page/5785
The survey will be open until January 23, 2020. The input and feedback we receive will be reviewed and shared with the BWRSD community at the January 27, 2020 regular business meeting.
7. Spring Musical | Auditions start today!
If you were unable to attend our meeting in the auditorium on TUESDAY the 14TH please fill out the form that is now available in the front office and turn it in by Friday the 17th, or bring it to auditions next week.
Also, please pick up instructions for signing up for REMIND. All returning Masquers must sign up again - there’s a new group for 2020!
PLEASE NOTE - YOU MUST FILL OUT A FORM AND SIGN UP FOR REMIND TO PARTICIPATE IN AUDITIONS AND/OR BE A CREW MEMBER!
Auditions will take place next week as follows. If you cannot make the day assigned to your grade, you may attend the other, or both days. Be prepared to read in a small group and to sing a short song - no accompaniment needed, but you may provide it if you wish.
- Tuesday January 21st 2 - 4 PM: 6th Grade
- Wednesday January 22nd 2 - 4 PM: 7th & 8th Grade
- Additional or makeup day TBA if needed. Cast will be announced on Monday January 20th.
REMIND Updates code: kmsmas2020
10. "Beyond the Bag" Plastic Recycling Competition | A Win-Win-Win Situation!
A WIN-WIN-WIN SITUATION
When you donate your unwanted plastic materials to KMS not only are you helping to keep thousands of pounds of waste out of landfills, you're also helping us to continue to create beautiful and environmentally responsible outdoor products.
Drop off bins in the front foyer | Contact - Molly.Scarborough@bwrsd.org with questions
13. KMS Athletics | Spring Sports Registration NOW OPEN!
Spring Sports Registration NOW Open until February 23rd
Spring Season Begins March 2, 2020
Spring Sports offered: Baseball, Softball, Boys & Girls Track, Club Lacrosse & Intramural Tennis/Volleyball
- Club LAX is run by the Parent Group & requires special insurance that can be purchased at USlacrosse.org.
- Baseball/Softball fields open as early as April 1st. Practices are at Colt State Park once the fields are open, from 2:30-4:30PM
- Registration is done through Family ID (link will become active on 1/13/20)
- All schedules will be on RIPCOA.Org or Mthopehuskies.com closer to the start of the season.
- All students must have be signed up on Family ID, have a RIPCOA risk form and current physical on file with the nurse in order to participate or try out.
15. 6th Grade Band's First Performance | January 22nd!
The time has come to celebrate all our 6th grade band students have learned this year!
- What: Sixth Grade Band First Performance
- When: WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 22 , 2020 arrive at 6:30pm (Performance starts at 7)snow date 1/23
- Where: KMS Performing Arts Center
- Who: Our 6th grade band students and their families and friends
Please click link below to view an Important letter from Mr. Brackett & Mrs. Labonte
17. MATH Tutoring Available!
18. Community Service Club Meeting
19. Screenagers Next Chapter | January 28th @ 5:30PM
BWRSD & BWEF are hosting a screening & discussion of Screenagers Next Chapter on Tuesday, January 28th in the Auditorium. 5:30PM Pizza & Refreshments followed by 6:00PM Introduction & Film presentation and then a discussion from 7:15-8PM.
High Stress, anxiety and depression are experienced by millions of young people. We follow physicians and filmmakers Delaney Ruston as she discovers solutions for improved adolescent well-being in the digital age.
Source & More Info: https://www.screenagersmovie.com/about
21. Recycle your gently used | Middle School Level | Books to the KMS Reading Dept!
22. Influenza on the rise | Notes from Nurse Welchman
To better understand when and where influenza activity is occurring, to monitor influenza-related illness, outbreaks, hospitalizations, and to determine circulating and emerging influenza virus strains please contact the School Nurse if your child has the flu and/or tests positive for the flu.
Thank you for your attention to this important health announcement.
Questions or concerns you can contact me @ 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
Erin Welchman M.Ed, BSN, RN, RICSNT
Kickemuit Middle School
525 Child Street
Warren, RI 02885
Tel. 401-245-2010 Ext 2009
23. PPAC Art Scholarship | Deadline February 28th
2020 ARTS SCHOLARSHIPS APPLICATIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!
The Providence Performing Arts Center’s Community Outreach Committee is requesting applications to the 2020 ARTS Scholarships program. The ARTS Scholarships program, sponsored by The Textron Charitable Trust and PPAC’s Annual Fund donors with support from Ocean State Charities Trust, awards up to $500 in financial assistance to each of 30 winning Rhode Island students (15 from Providence, 15 from other Rhode Island communities) for summer arts education programs.
To be eligible, a student must:
- be aged 11 - 14 by June 1, 2020
- reside in and attend school in Rhode Island
- demonstrate artistic ability and interest
- demonstrate financial need
- submit a completed application
All applications must be filled out completely and correctly, signed by the student, the parent or guardian, and the student’s sponsor and submitted with supporting materials no later than 4:00 p.m. on Friday, February 28, 2020.
Applications, guidelines, and summer arts program lists are available through the links below or can be picked up at the PPAC Administrative Office at 220 Weybosset Street, 2nd Floor, Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. For questions or further information, contact Cynthia Goldsmith at 401-574-3105.
Need more information or Spanish translations: https://www.ppacri.org/outreach/arts-scholarship
Summer Art Programs 2020: https://www.ppacri.org/assets/doc/Summer-Arts-Programs-List-2020-2489a03b71.pdf
24. Bee Amazed at the 12th Annual Bee!
25. Bristol Theatre Co. presents Disney's Frozen Jr.
The Bristol Theatre Company production of Disney Frozen Jr.
Based on the Disney film written by Jennifer Lee and directed by Chris Buck & Jennifer Lee
For more information: Click on the flyer Image to the right!
Tickets Available Online https://btc-frozenjr.brownpapertickets.com/
February 6 @ 7:00pm
February 7 @ 7:00pm
February 8 @ 2:00pm and 7:00pm
February 9 @ 2:00pm