District-wide ENews Notes
June 23, 2022
Sun., Jun. 26 - High School Commencement
Wed., Jun 29 - Summer Rec Begins
Tues., July 5 - Board of Education Reorganizational Meeting, BOE Rm. 129, 7 p.m.
**NOTE: Please recognize that the District's online calendar will house the most accurate District and building events.
Superintendent Receives Five-Year Contract Extension
At the June 21, 2022, Board of Education meeting the HF-L Board of Education voted unanimously to extend the Superintendent’s contract by five years, through June 2027. The new contract went into effect immediately upon resolution.
Superintendent Gene Mancuso began his tenure with the Honeoye Falls-Lima Central School District in March of 2013 and has led the District throughout the height of the COVID-19 pandemic and through the past three capital projects.
“It is an honor to continue to work with this great Board of Education, this wonderful community and the HF-L school district,” Mancuso said. “The pandemic impacted every aspect of teaching and learning. The whole structure we operate on was shattered by health concerns, the fear that those concerns engendered, and the fact we couldn’t be together. The last several years have been the most challenging in my 31-year career.”
Early on, Mancuso recognized the need to pull in many voices to help the District get through these new challenges. The numerous versions of COVID-19 re-opening task forces, meeting collectively with teacher and staff leaders, program budget advisory councils, capital project feasibility committees, and district safety committees are all designed to maximize community input.
“In HF-L, there are numerous community members with unique backgrounds in medicine, industry, public safety, and innovation that have been truly invaluable as we partnered to find creative solutions prior to and throughout the pandemic,” said Mancuso.
A school superintendent implements the school board’s vision by making day-to-day decisions about educational programs, spending, staff, and facilities, The Superintendent ensures policies are implemented and practiced district-wide. The Superintendent hires, supervises, and manages the central staff and principals. The Superintendent receives a written evaluation annually in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations section 100.2 and holds the professional responsibility to perform all duties set forth in Section 1711 of the Education Law of New York as well as that authority granted or imposed by the Commissioner of Education and those implied by or reasonably necessary to carry out the position of Superintendent of Schools.
Mancuso believes that every decision made, and action taken revolves around providing all students with multiple opportunities to reach their potential, as well as feel good about themselves and their own learning.
Mancuso has a strong connection to tradition while keeping an eye and vision on the future. Mancuso joined the U.S. Army out of high school, and eventually began his teaching career in 1991. He has been a teacher, coach, dean of students, assistant principal, principal, assistant superintendent, and superintendent.
“I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by educators, who foster passion, fuel curiosity, and are committed to working together to transform lives. It remains an honor to work in partnership with the community in serving the needs of the students of HF-L,” said Mancuso.
In accordance with the District’s practices, the new contract will be posted online and can be found at https://www.hflcsd.org/documents/human-resources/collective-bargaining-agreements/266694
New Director of Transportation Appointed
At the June 21, 2022, Board of Education meeting, the HF-L Board of Education appointed Cynthia Peterson as the new Director of Transportation for the Honeoye Falls-Lima Central School District.
Peterson comes to HF-L with a strong background in pupil transportation. Peterson began her career as a bus driver at the Penfield Central School District and advanced through multiple roles and certifications. In her career, she has served as the Director Transportation for Monroe 1 BOCES, Director of Transportation for the City of Geneva School District, and is currently serving as Assistant Director of Transportation for the Rochester City School District.
Peterson will begin work in the District in July 2022.
Congratulations, Cynthia, and welcome home!
Assistant Principal at Manor Intermediate Appointed
On Tuesday, June 21, 2022, the Board of Education appointed a new Assistant Principal for Manor Intermediate, Michelle Hildreth.
Hildreth is coming to HF-L with experience from LeRoy Central School District, Rush-Henrietta Central Schools, and two school districts in Virginia where she served as a classroom teacher, literacy teacher and coach, and most recently as an assistant principal at the Wolcott Street School in LeRoy.
Hildreth holds a certificate of advanced study in school administration from the University of Rochester, a Graduate degree in Literacy from Longwood University, a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education and Special Education from SUNY Geneseo, and an Associate’s degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences from Monroe Community College.
The Honeoye Falls-Lima Central School District wishes to extend a thank you to the community members who assisted in this hiring process. Hildreth will begin her role at the end of July.
Congratulations, Michelle, and welcome home!
HF-L Assistant Superintendent for Business and Operations Announces Retirement
On June 21, 2022, the HF-L Board of Education accepted the retirement of Dr. Bruce Capron, Assistant Superintendent for Business and Operations. Dr. Capron has announced his plan to retire on October 31, 2022.
Dr. Capron has been with the HF-L school district since 2011. During his time at HF-L, Dr. Capron has:
· successfully developed voter-approved school budgets for HF-L CSD for the past 11 years,
· overseen food service, transportation, facilities, human resources, as well as all areas of finance, including payroll, and accounts payable,
· played a key role in HF-L completing multiple capital projects,
· been the primary and lead negotiator on numerous collective bargaining agreements, town and municipal contracts, and numerous building contracts,
· served on the Board of Directors for the Rochester Area School Health Consortium and the Genesee Valley Workers Compensation Consortium,
· served as President and Director of the Rochester Area School Business Officials Association (ASBO),
· regularly presented at multiple state and regional conferences in the area of school finance, leadership, and new board of education training,
· led the management and refinancing of numerous serial bonds to reduce taxpayer interest payments, and worked closely with the District’s financial consultants, bond council, and credit rating agencies to help secure the District's strong financial rating.
· served in numerous instructional leadership positions, was an executive committee member and leader in the Finger Lakes STEM Hub, performed teacher evaluations, and created numerous opportunities for staff and students to visit and team with local companies about the skills necessary to achieve success after high school.
Dr. Capron graduated from the University of Maine with a Bachelor of Science degree and then went on to earn a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from the University of California, Berkley. He began his engineering career in Silicon Valley working in the semiconductor industry. Over the years, Dr. Capron worked in engineering and business management positions in the optoelectronics, optics, laser, and medical device industries.
While raising his family and while his daughters attended Naples Central School, Dr. Capron was elected to the Naples Board of Education. During this time, Dr. Capron discovered his passion for education. When he joined HF-L in 2011, Dr. Capron effectively changed career paths and launched his educational leadership career.
“Dr. Capron is the kind of person with an incredible career trajectory. Bruce leveraged his background in engineering and business to launch a new career in education by joining HF-L as a school district business official. Dr. Capron showed himself to be a life-long-learner by completing a Master’s in Educational Leadership,” said Superintendent Gene Mancuso.
To fill this position, HF-L is beginning a comprehensive search process to find its next School Business Official. The District is posting the job opening this week with a start date in August 2022.
“The time I have spent at HF-L has been the most rewarding part of my professional career,” said Dr. Capron. “Every time I speak with an HF-L student, ride a bus, attend an event, participate in a training, or visit a classroom, I am inspired by how we all collectively help our students grow and prepare them for a bright future. Thank you for letting me be a part of this school community.”
Odyssey of the Mind
"Dawn" - Senior Art Show
This Senior Art Show will be up for the entire month of June. We have a large group of extremely talented artists that are looking forward to showing off (and some selling) their work!
HF-L Partners with Paper Tutoring Service
The Honeoye Falls-Lima Central School District is happy to announce its partnership with Paper, a digital tutoring service. This service is available to all HF-L students in grades 4-12 and will provide free, unlimited access to virtual tutoring sessions. These sessions are 1:1 and are available 24 hours a day. Students can access this using their ClassLink portal.
Using Paper, students get homework help, writing feedback, and study support on demand. Teachers gain insights into learning gaps. Administrators have visibility into where support is needed.
UPDATE: Paper is now offering live parent webinars. They are every 2 weeks in English and Spanish. 45 mins, parents sign up through that page and they will receive a Zoom link by email. https://pages.paper.co/webinars-for-parents-and-guardians
Mendon Public Library
Upcoming Weekly Events, drop in:
- For Kids: Story Time, Tuesdays, 10:00 AM - 10:30 AM
- Paws to Relax for Kids & Adults, 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, 6:30-7:30 PM (Read & Relax w/Therapy Dogs)
- For Adults: Tech Training with Danny B on Wednesdays, 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM (Call to reserve your one-hour slot),
- Alternating Thursday Morning Knit Nook,
- Medicare Information Sessions on alternating Mondays.
Special Events, please register for all programs below:
- MOVIE MONDAY: OCEANS MOVIE, Mon 6/27/2022 1:30 PM - 3:30 PM
- Kids, Teens, & Families Stay Safe on the Water this Summer, Tue 6/28/2022 2:00 PM - 2:45 PM
- LEGO CLUB WITH MISS LISA, Wed 6/29/2022 11:00 AM - 11:45 AM
- Water, Water Everywhere, Wed 6/29/2022 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Getting Involved with Citizen Science: Outing One, Thu 6/30/2022 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
- Wildlife Rockstar: ANIMAL SHOW & TELL, Thu 7/7/2022 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Full summer of fun and learning with the Oceans of Possibilities Summer Reading Program.
Check out mendonlibrary.org for up-to-date information.
Vacation Bible School
The Honeoye Falls-Lima Central School District
Location: 20 Church Street, Honeoye Falls, NY, USA
Phone: 585 624 7000