Why We Eat What We Eat
By: Chase Hartsell
- Media - You may decide to eat something because you saw it advertised on TV
- Economics - Some families may not be able to afford to make healthy food choices
- Environmental - You probably eat more of a food because its in season in your area
- Technological - If you don't have a microwave or a blender that may affect your food choices
- Physiological - People that live in different places eat different food.
- Psychological - Some people eat when they're happy or bored.
- Personal - Some people don't like certain foods.
- Culture and Customs - Some cultures religion doesn't allow them to eat some foods.
- Traditions - Most people eat turkey on Thanksgiving because its a tradition.
Healthy Food Choices
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans - The USDA recommends that you fill 1/4 of your plate with grains, 1/4 of protein, 1/4 of fruits, 1/4 of vegetables and 3 cups of dairy.
- Weight Management - It's important to make healthy food choices to stay at a healthy weight.
- Physical Activity Needs - It's recommended that you get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.
- MyPlate vs Food Pyramid - MyPlate is the updated version of the Food Pyramid.
- Nutritional Labels on Packages - You should look at the nutrition label on a package to decide if its a healthy choice.
- Special Diets - You may have a special diet because of your weight or health, for example, pregnant women are recommended to have no more than two servings of seafood a week and elderly people should try to get more fiber and limit fats.