Information for New Parents
What Newborns may look like?
- C- Section babies don't come through the birth canal, so they have an edge in the looks department so their had comes out round and pretty.
-Your baby might lose a little belly weight in his/her first week, but he/she should regain it during the second week and continue to put on the ounces and pounds as they grow.
-Babies of all races and ethnicities are born with reddish-purple skin that changes to pinkish-red in a day or so. The pink tint comes from the red blood vessels that are visible through your baby's still-thin, almost transparent skin that may be covered with a fine, downy hair called lanugo.
Ways to bond with your infant?
- Breastfeeding or bottle feeding
- Massage baby
- Read to him/her
- Play with them (peek-a-boo / toys/ mirror game)
- Communicate and sing to your baby
- Cuddle when you put them to sleep
- Show expressions that make them know you love them and their company
- Plush Toys
- Musical Instruments
- Non- breakable Mirrors
Pros/ Cons of Breastfeeding and Bottle Feeding
- Mother bonds
- Available and free
- Prevents baby from Infections
- Father doesn't get to enjoy bonding
- Mother has less freedom and always has to be available to feed infant
- Mother has to have healthy life style for baby to be healthy as well
- Mother and/or people may get uncomfortable in public places
- Time Consuming
- The responsibility for feeds can be evenly divided between yourself and your partner
- Father gets to enjoy bonding too
- Mother gets more rest and may be able to go back to work sooner
- Anyone can feed the infant
- Bottle feeding is socially accepted In public
- Options on different formulas
- Baby may have allergic reaction to certain formulas
- takes time to make
Introducing New Types of Foods..
You should always try new types of foods for you infant. The type of foods being introduced could make your baby have a healthier food style choice. Your infant may not like it at first but he/she just needs time to adjust. Try a food for 3-7 days before deciding to alter it out. Try introducing these listed below:
- Pureed Vegetables (Squash, Sweet Potatoes).
- Pureed Fruit ( Bananas, Apples, Peaches.)
- Pureed Meats (Pork, Beef, Chicken).
Signs of Unhealthy Child Characteristics..
Preventing SIDS and Crib Safety Check.
- Lie down the infant on its back in crib when its asleep
- Do NOT leave any stuffed animals, blankets, bottles and/or pacifier
- Place baby's crib close enough to where you may hear and visual the infant during its first year
- Before going to sleep make sure no children ( kids/ other siblings of infants) leave toys behind for baby
- If your worried for the baby being cold but one- piece sleepwear
-Be alert at all times for baby rolling around and/or struggles
- Do NOT leave infant alone for one second, especially in the bathtub.
- If you need to do something take baby with you where you have visual on him/her if not whatever it is can wait!
- Make sure all screws are tightly placed in
- Test the crib
- Look at the reviews/ check the recall list on cribs
- Check railing inches
- Make sure the mattress is fitted for the crib