Hydrogen AND Fuel Cell Technology
A Renewable Energy
HISTORICAL BACKGROUND INFO
Fuel cells were first used in space missions by NASA. As time passed by, it was used in submarines, as back-up power, and in electric vehicles.
WHAT IS A FUEL CELL
HOW DOES IT WORK
Since fuel cells create electricity chemically, and there is no form of combustion happening, they are more efficient than any other fuel. Also, the water that is produced following the reaction, can be chemically decomposed by passing electric current through the liquid.
Some of the advantages of using hydrogen and fuel cell technology include the following:-
- Little noise produced.
- Hydrogen can be produced anywhere.
- Higher efficiency than diesel or gas engines: 80% efficient.
- Reduced oil dependence: less importing of oil from foreign countries.
- Less green house gas emissions: diesel and gasoline powered cars emit these gases, which is harmful to the atmosphere.
- Hydrogen is highly explosive.
- More energy to be produced, than to provide.
- Takes time: research in that field still continues.
- Hydrogen storage: extra storage needed, if travelling far with car.