August 21, 2017
Good morning, Happy Solar Eclipse Day--
Thank you for a great week!
Open House was a great success despite the downpour. I heard many awesome comments from our parents. In fact, I received the following comment in wrting from a parent the next day, "We came to your school toward the end of last year, and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the staff at Howell North; they have made my son see value in himself and in continuing his education." It does not get much more powerful than that.
It was also fantastic to be able to get into classrooms and to see the wonderful things that you were doing with your students. Keep up the great work!
Thank you for all that you do to make FHN a great place to work and learn! Enjoy your 4-day week!
- Great Open House. Thank you to everyone who made it happen!
- Thanks to Rob Stegeman and the band for getting parents all jacked up for Open House :) They were awesome!
- Hooray for our AP Scholars, AP Scholars w/ Distinction, and AP National Scholars. Read more athttp://goo.gl/YPFdDC
- Congrats to Shyam Kannan on being selected as Secretary of State at Boys State. Read about it at goo.gl/BY93r5
- Congratulations to Guadalupe Medina Pintor for taking part in the Hispanic Leadership Institute. Read about it at http://midriversnewsmagazine.com
The IT department was excited to receive the generous (anonymous) donation of 2 new 3D printers last week. Stop by room 49 sometime to see them in action! Students will be able to use these to create lower cost versions of parts they may need for their projects, or create a part that doesn’t even exist yet.
FHN was named as a MSHSAA Leadership school for the 12th year. This is more than any other high school in our district. Read aboout it at http://ow.ly/qo3c30eitf1
PD Committee Meeting Monday August 28th 2:30-4:00 in the Learning Commons
- Administrators have been holding pre-evaluation conference meetings with teachers they supervise. The Student Data Monitoring Sheet is not due to your supervising administrator until the end of 1st quarter.
- Administrators have started walkthroughs. Reminder that our goal as an administrative team is to do a walkthrough on all teachers we do not supervise. The data collected for these walkthroughs is used by the CITW trainers to guide the PD.
- If you have not had a chance to get by the Attendance Office to welcome the newest member of our staff, we wanted to let you know that Lisa Davis started in the office last week. Help us welcome her to FHN!
- There have been some questions about students marked absent to 1st period who then arrive later. If they come to class with a pass after signing in at the Attendance Office, the office will take care of changing their attendance. If they do not have a pass and it is after 7:40, please make them come and sign-in. If it is prior to 7:40, you will need to change their attendance to tardy. Thank you.
Here are some questions you can ask to get to know your students over the first few weeks:
- What are you passionate about?
- What do you see as your greatest strength?
- How do you want to be recognized?
- What will a successful school year look and feel like for you?
Thank you again for your visibility in the hallways.