May 11, 2015
Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher--Japenese Proverb
Click the red button to go directly to the staff online calendar. The two weeks shown below is just a snapshot as of 5/8/15
News to Roar About
- Terri Poffenberger and Heather Garren for your great leadership with Relay for Life! This year proved to be another successful campaign. Thank you for all you do to support such a worthy cause!
- Thanks to the AMAZING Harbins custodial staff for handling complete change-overs "under dark of night" to have everything set up for a multitude of events this week!
- Thanks to Malissa Koblick and Myesha Jenkins for last minute videography for Shark Tank.
- Thanks to the STEM Lab Team for planning masterfully engaging, challenging, AKS-packed Maker Lessons.
- Thanks to ALL of the Harbins Staff for maintaining a positive attitude and student-focus for the Maker Faire during a very busy time of year. I wish you could have seen and heard yourselves challenging the students to think and problem-solve independently during the challenges!
- Trisha and Kishina for an outstanding Shark Tank: Harbins Edition!! It was a HUGE success and an experience that our students will never forget! They are now aspiring entrepreneurs! We cannot wait to see what they will create, design or develop to make our lives better in some way! This is just the beginning...
- A huge thank you to our club sponsors for all you have done this year to provide these extra-curricular opportunities for our students!
Thanks to the STEM Lab Team for planning masterfully engaging, challenging, AKS-packed Maker Lessons.
Thanks to Malissa Koblick and Myesha Jenkins for last minute videography for Shark Tank.
- Teachers for getting your Kid Talk data completed and entered into your spreadsheets. We know there has been a lot to do and we appreciate your work to get that done!
- Thank you to our curriculum coaches for an outstanding year of leading the way in literacy and math! We appreciate you!
- Amanda Acres for your presentation at the School Council. They council was very impressed with all that you shared!
- Larry Wynn for his time to take photos for our 20th birthday celebration. He did a great job of capturing all of the events of the day!
- Amie Gravitt for her extra time to take photos on the 20th as well. We appreciate all you did to help us capture the fun moments of the day!
- To all of our outstanding teachers and staff! It was a joy to celebrate the outstanding work you do this week! No words can ever really capture how special you really are!
- Kindergarten teachers for your time to make kindergarten registration so special for our new customers. The kids were so excited about starting kindergarten!
- Thank you, Paula for organizing K registration for our new families!
- Thank you Dr. Thompson for spending over an hour with a concerned grandparent and for being so supportive!
- Every staff member for doing your part to make the Maker Faire so special for our students! You are the best of the best!
- Teachers for the amazing displays for the Harbins Birthday celebration! You made the halls look festive and showcased the student work for all to see!
- Jennifer Dalton and Bridget Saldana for testing support and for your help with Leadership Academy graduation.
- Minh Chiavone for your help during Leadership Academy. We appreciate the extra hands to help all go smoothly!
- Teresa Olson for the awesome Harbins Birthday banner in your hallway!
- Montine Powell for the million things you did behind the scenes to help the 20th birthday celebration go so smoothly!
- Jennifer Rogers and Mia Latimore for your unending help with banner printing and for not giving up! The banners looked awesome!
- Chris Rogers for the great slideshow for the 20th celebration. Everyone enjoyed looking at the slides and traveling down memory lane.
- Linda Wood for preparing our solo singers to perform on Friday. They were awesome!
- To all of the support staff and teachers who supported the Maker activities in every classroom.
- Thank you to the Maker Faire team for all of your help and your time to make the 20th birthday a fun celebration for our kids and families! It was a success thanks to each of you!
- Special areas teachers for all of your support during the car rider changes! You guys are the best!
- Joan and Tat'yana for your outstanding help during the protein shake explosion. You are both incredible!
- Jennifer Dalton for your extra time and help to fold programs for the 20th and for the time you invested in supporting student speakers.
- Kindergarten teachers for having your students so prepared for their Leadership Academy graduation!
- To the STEM late teachers for all of your leadership in planning and prepping the maker activities for the Maker Faire! The students had a great time with their Maker Challenges!
- PTA for the yummy Chick-fil-a luncheon! It came on a great day!
Reminder the field is closed to all other classes on field day.
Report Card Timeline
Blue Ice will be for sale at Lunch on the Lawn for $2.00. Please remind students and parents.
Summer School 2015
The Archer Cluster Elementary summer school will be at Harbins for 2015. Harbins has been allotted one teacher position. If you are interested in teaching summer school, please complete the teacher application and return to Christy LeMaster by Tuesday, May 12.
- Teacher hours: 7:30am - 3:20pm = 8 hrs
- Student hours: 8:00am - 3:00pm = 7hrs
- Salary - $32.50 per hr for 17 days, which include 2 pre-planning days and 15 instructional days. Total $4,420
The summer school calendar is also attached so you can make plans. If you have any questions about summer school, please ask Christy. Thanks!
RBES Conference Schedule
Tuesday- 2nd grade 10:15-12:30
5th grade 1:00-3:30
Wednesday- Support 10:15-12:30
Special Areas 2:45-4:00
Thursday 4th grade 10:30-12:45
3rd grade 1:00-3:30
Friday- 1st grade 10:15-12:30
RBES Conference Prep
For your RBES conferences next week, please complete the reflective form that has been in the Roar and a link is also included below.
1) Examine your Kid Talk data, SPG or EOY DDA (whichever applies) and reflect on your students' achievement results for each content area. Guiding questions are included in the template. The boxes in the template will allow you to add as much text as you wish to type.
2) Include reflections on your professional growth as well based on how you marked your EOY framework continuums. There is a place on the form for this reflection piece.
3) These reflections will become your results and conclusions in the RBES tool. You will simply cut and paste so be sure to save your work in a file where you can easily find it.
4) Bring the following with you to the meeting:
Bring your laptop
Copies of your data OR just be sure you have access to it on your computer so you can reference it as needed.
Print an extra copy of your reflections to leave with us.
Bring your EOY continuum and plan to leave that with us as well.
Bring your smart brains, reflections on your work and be ready to celebrate a job well done.
5) Attached is the SPG calculations page so you can see how you would rank based on your students' SPG results in grades K-3, special areas and gifted. Your SIT member can answer questions about this chart and we will review it at our meeting as well. We did find out at the principals meeting yesterday that the top 10% of teachers in the state will receive a one year Race to the Top bonus
We look forward to meeting with you and hearing all about the great work you have done and the outstanding student achievement that resulted from that work.
Beyond the Core Staff Development during Pre-Planning
The Curriculum and Instruction team will be offering pre-planning staff development sessions for our teachers who work in the beyond the core areas (Fine Arts, Health/PE, Foreign Language, ESOL, Special Education, Gifted, and CTE) on August 5 at the following times:
Middle School/High School Teachers - morning session (8:00am - 12:00pm)
Elementary Teachers - afternoon session (1:00pm - 5:00pm)
The specific location and session information will be provided in a subsequent message.
News From Other Schools
- The Math Office has invited you to join in celebrating Lisa Lee's Retirement on Monday, May 18th from 3:30 - 5:00 at the ISC in room 1.106 and 1.107
- Hopkins ES invites you to attend a Retirement Celebration for Clarissa Minando, George Streitenberger, Helen Wang and Ann Way on Thursday, May 14th at 3:15 in their Cafe.
- Grayson ES invites you to attend a retirement for Glenda Mayhue, Laura Hoglen and Margaret Killianon Tuesday, May 19th at 4:15 at Grayson ES Cafe.
- Rock Springs ES invites you to celebrate the teaching career of Angela Brown, Beth williams, Tammy Murphree and Fran Jones as they retire on Tuesday, May 12th at 3:00 pm.
Summer Cleaning Schedule
- Moving into a room: Stack your boxes/items along the wall in front of the whiteboard
- June 8-July 16- Summer School and ESY will take place at Harbins in designated classrooms
- July 6-24 Floors will be waxed and the building will be closed to working in rooms. We will send out summer emails to notify teachers when rooms have been cleaned and can be set up for the fall.
Snow Make-Up Day for Instructional Staff (Teachers and Parapros)
As your make-up time for the staff day missed due to snow, we will begin work we had already planned for our staff on Formative Instructional Practices. You will use the directions sent to you via by Cindy Truett on 4-15-15 to get into the PD&E course and complete two online course modules. All of this must be completed by May 21.
FIP Module 1 Introduction
FIP Module 2 Clear Learning Targets
Staff Development Survey (SAI)
eCLASS Summer Staff Development
The attached link is to an online flyer with information on eCLASS Summer Staff Development Sessions. The online flyer includes course descriptions, dates and locations as well as PDE section numbers. For questions about eCLASS Summer Staff Development please email or call Dona Smith in the eCLASS office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 678-301-7293.
Technology Weekly Update (Please click each week for new info.)
Grade Level Professional Learning
- May 11-15 RBES Conferences (detailed schedule to be sent)
- May 22 All Staff Meeting for EOY at 12:30 (Luncheon at 11:30 in the cafe)
Classroom Spirit Award
School Improvement Team
The SIT Team meeting will be held on May 5th from 1:15 - 4:00. Location: Professional Development Room. Read professional article for our session (same article from last session).
News to Roar About
We will place “News to Roar About” in the Roar each Monday. It is our hope that throughout the year that you will take time to send us a note to let us know about a colleague who deserves recognition for outstanding work. Please be sure to share your compliments with us so we can highlight those individuals in the Roar. You can email compliments to Cindy Truett or Montine Powell.
Leaders in Learning
A Chrome file has been shared with each teacher, please go in to list your Leader in Learning each month when Montine sends out the notification email.