Mackay P1 update
From Cath Lalor, ARD School Performance
Welcome back everyone, I trust that you all had a happy and restful break. I enjoyed my first Christmas in Central Queensland with the family, had a good rest and am now back ready for 2016.
Welcome to Teena Elliot who has commenced as permanent Principal at Dysart SS and to Cameron Wayman who is acting Principal at Beaconsfield SS for this term. I have included below a list of the schools in my group. I have maintained the same 24 schools that I worked with in term 4 last year plus 3 new additions.
The purpose of this update, which I will be sending out as needed, will be 3 fold:
1. to give you a heads up on any key messages
2. to share and celebrate successes within our group.
3. to get to know each other as school leaders a bit better.
School Reviews 2016
Sharp, Narrow, Deep.
One of the key messages that I delivered last term to you was about sharpening and narrowing the school's improvement focus for 2016. This is a clear message from the School Improvement Unit. What does that look like in planning? My thank to Jonas Shantz, Principal at Coningsby who has kindly given consent to share his schools AIP for 2016. I think it provides a good example of a sharp, narrow focus. It has three areas:
1. Student Learning - improved outcomes for all students in writing
2. Quality Teaching: improved pedagogy through the use of success criteria, A samples and anchor charts ( in writing)
3. School community: development of bjuucugg
Of course that doesn't mean that they wont be teaching Maths, reading etc. at Coningsby this year. I know that Jonas has used the 9 domains of the National School Improvement Tool to tease out his strategies in his AIP.
The link to Coningsby's AIP can be fund here: and Jonas is more than happy for you to contact him to discuss any of the work shown here.
we look forward to seeing how the year progresses Jonas!