Coronado Middle School - February 15-19, 2021
Feb 14 Happy Valentine's Day
Feb 15 Presidents' Day: No School
Feb 16 Group A on campus gates open at 7:55 am
Feb 17 Group A on campus gates open at 7:55 am
Feb 18 Group B on campus gates open at 7:55 am
CUSD Board Meeting 4:00 pm (Zoom)
Feb 19 Group B on campus gates open at 7:55 am
It was a terrific week 2 on campus. I'm so proud of our Tritons for their commitment, diligence, and respect of the important safety protocols we have in place. Thank you, parents/guardians, for your support and consistent reminders!
Thank you, PTO, for the sweet Valentine treats!
HYBRID STUDENTS: Reminders!!!
- Gates open at 7:55 am. Class begins promptly at 8:05 am. Starting March 1st students that arrive late will be marked tardy.
- Students are REQUIRED to bring a charged device (personal computer or school issued Chromebook) every day they are on campus. Loaners will not be available.
- Students are required to follow all safety protocols such as appropriately wearing a face covering and maintaining physical distance. Thank you for providing consistent reminders to your child.
- Please make sure your child is prepared for school every day! Students must come to campus with their device, assignments, supplies, and water/snack, daily. We are not able to deliver items to students at this time.
- Hybrid students are expected to be on campus on their assigned days. They are only permitted to Zoom in if they have been called in sick or have communicated circumstances.
- Students are expected to be in class for the entire class period on Zoom days.
- Rainy days: Please send your student to school with a warm jackets and umbrella on rainy days.
- Students are expected to be on time to class and stay on the Zoom for the entire period.
Item pick up Tuesday-Friday 2/16 - 2/19 8 am - 3 pm
- Science workbook pick up for grades 6, 7, and 8
- Math notebook pick up for grade 8
**Face coverings and physical distancing are required during pick-up.
Please contact Amanda Ellison with any questions Amanda.firstname.lastname@example.org
- HYBRID - On campus days: Please keep your child home if they are not feeling well. Be sure to contact CMS and provide your child's symptoms. You will then be contacted by our site or CUSD nurse to determine next steps. Should you keep your child at home and he/she is not sick, we appreciate your honesty and will not have a nurse follow up with you.
- Attendance: If your child is sick or unable to participate in school on any given day, please contact our attendance clerk, Mrs. Karnas at 619-522-8921 ext. 3096 or email at email@example.com
- You're strongly encouraged to check your child's PowerSchool, regularly, for grade updates, announcements, and emails.
- CUSD Covid-19 Dashboard
8th Grade Familes
**Feb 24 at 6:30pm: CHS Parent Night via Zoom (link to follow)
Mar 2 CHS Counselors Presentations 8th grade Science classes
Mar 3 CHS Counselors Presentations 8th grade Science classes
Mar 8 - 19 CHS Registration appointments for 21-22 (via Zoom - more information to come)
Student Yearbook Photos
The Surfer Yearbook Staff will be taking student portrait photos the week of Feb. 22nd.
HYBRID students: Photos will be taken while on campus between 8:05 and 12:30
Feb 23: Last Names A-E
Feb 24: Last Names F-L
Feb 25: Last Names M-Riv
Feb 26: Last Names Ro-Z
BRIDGE students: Photos will be at CMS from 1:15pm to 2:15 pm. This week, families will receive their student's specific time and location in an email from CMSInfo@coronadousd.net
Feb 23: Last Names A-F
Feb 24: Last Names G-Mc
Feb 25: Last Names Me-R
Feb 26: Last Names S-Z
If you are not interested in coming to campus for a portrait, you may still submit a headshot to the yearbook for use in the portrait section of the book.
Use the following link to upload a JPG (No Screenshots).
Enter Login ID: 415467883
● Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload, click on “Select My Images.”
● Enter information about the photo and provide contact information in case the staff needs additional information.
● Be sure to include your student’s name and grade.
● Click “Upload Chosen Images."
It’s that easy! Submit your photos today!
8th Grade Promotion Events: CMS PTO is looking for 7th and 8th grade parents to help with promotion planning. Please contact Abby Lund at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our next PTO meeting is this week on Wednesday, March 3, 2021.
Haven't joined PTO yet? Click on the link. https://www.konstella.com/cd/W2XGRV
CMS PTO President
Coronado Schools Foundation
Want to Win a Golf Cart?
The very popular Telethon Opportunity Drawing is back! Enter to win a brand-new 2021 Icon 6 Passenger Lifted Golf Cart valued at $14,000! All proceeds benefit CSF.
The winner will be drawn LIVE on air, March 24th at 8:55pm at the 34th annual Telethon. Be sure to join in at csfkids.org/telethon.
3 Ways to Enter:
1. Click here to get a printable ticket. Print, complete and mail to 201 Sixth Street, Coronado, CA 92118 with payment.
3. Call 619.437.8059 and leave a voicemail. A CSF staff member will return your call and take information and payment over the phone.
Save the Date! CSF Telethon 2021: Wednesday, March 24th 5-9pm
More Messages from the Surfer Yearbook
The Surfer Yearbook Staff is currently looking for the following photos for the yearbook:
- celebrating new year's/the holidays
- playing sports/doing favorite activities
- doing hobbies that you picked up over the past year because of stay at home orders
- If you were selected Triton of the Month for November or December.
- Any other photos you want to share with us.
We are accepting photos through the submission site all year.
Thank you for all of your support!
2020-2021 Surfer Yearbook Staff
SUBMIT YOUR PHOTOS HERE
LOG ON TO: images.jostens.com
Enter Login ID: 415467883
- Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload, click on “Select My Images.”
- Enter information about the photo and provide contact information in case the staff needs additional information.
- Click “Upload Chosen Images."
- It’s that easy! Submit your photos today!
Monday, February 22, 2021
With Officer Grace Del Bagno, CPD SRO
Zoom Share event
- Facts and Myths about Human Trafficking
- How is your Child Vulnerable?
- Social Media: Friend and Foe
- Boundaries you Can Set to Keep Your Child Safe
Officer Grace Del Bagno is the Coronado Police Department School Resource Officer. Her responsibilities include enforcement in and around the schools, being a liaison between the schools and the police department, and educating the city’s youth about laws, leadership, and sound decision making. Officer Del Bagno has held this position for almost 3 of her 4.5 years at Coronado PD. Prior to Coronado, she was in law enforcement with the city of Redondo Beach, in Los Angeles. During her time as a Police Officer, Officer Del Bagno has attended trainings within San Diego County pertaining to Human Trafficking. She is passionate about the prevention of Human Trafficking and hopes to work in a special assignment with a similar focus of enforcement.
Sign up for the monthly SAFE Parenting Tool Box at coronadosafe.org and take advantage of this great resource.
"7 Tips for a Happy, Successful School Year" Click HERE to read this great article
Messages from ASB and President Shoemaker
Hello Triton Families!
Happy Valentine’s Day from ASB!
Make sure to check out the Valentine’s Day Shout Outs on our CMS Triton’s Powerschool Page! Thank you to everyone who participated to spread a little love!
CMS Tritons PowerSchool page is updated daily! Please encourage students to check it out!
- Triton Teacher of the Month! Encourage your kids to vote! Shout out to Katey Bouwman for being voted February Teacher of the month!
- Triton Free Time!
- Triton Riddles and Puzzles!
- And more!
Link to: CMS TRITONS PAGE
2022 East Coast Trip
Hello, 7th grade Coronado Middle School families!
Planning has already begun, and I am thrilled to again be leading a group of Coronado Middle School students on an exciting WorldStrides program to Williamsburg, VA, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, PA, and New York, NY. Next year’s trip will take place during the 2021-2022 school year over Spring Break. On this once-in-a-lifetime adventure, students will explore our nation's most important historical sites and experience incomparable learning moments. This trip will enrich the learning experience of students, however, it is not a school activity nor a school-sponsored trip.
Virtual Meeting: to provide a little more information about our trip and answer any questions you may have.
Meeting Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Meeting Time: 4:00pm
Log In to the Meeting through the link below:
Meeting ID: 854 5035 1848
One tap mobile
+16699009128,,85450351848# US (San Jose)
+12532158782,,85450351848# US (Tacoma)
I’ve created a website just for our trip. It has more details about the trip, including information on our No Risk Guarantee for 2022 trips and important safety information from our Back to Travel Task Force. Here’s the link to our trip web page: https://worldstrides.com/custom/coronado-middle-school-dc-wb-cv-ph-ny-192680/
**Please note: the dates posted for the trip are just a guide at this time. The trip will take place during our Spring Break in 2022, and those dates will be confirmed when the school calendar is released for the 2021-22 school year.
How to register your child for the trip:
● Online at www.worldstrides.com/signup
(use Trip ID#192680 to sign up)
● By phone – call WorldStrides’ Customer Service
Team at 1-800-468-5899
●By mail - information in PDF linked above.
Please don’t hesitate to send me an email if you have any questions.
Ananda Dejarnette, M.Ed.
Program Leader – 8th grade East Coast Trip
Contact email: email@example.com
CMS Military Family Life Counselor Supports
Zoom Military Student Lunch Bunch DAY and TIME CHANGE!
- Please continue to join us now on Tuesday’s from 1:00-1:30pm.
Our goal is to connect with other military students like yourself to discuss and share experiences and topics that have aided in supporting you as a military family member and student.
I look forward to seeing all of you!
Kristina Clancy for Lisa F. Poli
MFLC- Military & Family Life Counselor for Coronado Middle School
Cell Phone: (619) 592-0821
MOVE & GROOVE
Fri, Feb 26 3:30pm-4:30pm
Naval Air Station North Island, Heritage Park (just past Breakers Beach and the Navy Lodge)
Join us for a fun session of movin' and groovin' with Navy CYP and MWR Fitness! Yummy snack bags provided for participants. Adults are welcome to participate in the workout or bring a beach chair to relax in our "Connections Area." Event open to all homeschool, distance, and hybrid learning families with base access. Navy health and safety protocols will be followed.
Info? NBC School Liaison Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-991-2509
MFLC's available to support our military students and families who may benefit from counseling services. We are here to support you during these challenging times!
NOW AVAILABLE: CMS LIBRARY BOOK CHECKOUTS!!!
It’s easy to browse, check out, and hold books through Classlink! Once you sign in, click the Follett icon and you will have access to the CMS library catalog. Once a book is put on hold, Mrs. Pettit will bag your books for pick up. Book pickups and returns will be on Wednesdays, ONLY for safety purposes, and can be obtained between 8 am-3 pm at the F. Street entrance of the middle school.
PLEASE NOTE: Books that are catalogued as YA (Young Adult), will require a guardian signed permission slip. If you are a returning CMS student and already had one of these filled out last year, you are good to go! However, all incoming 6th graders and new students will need this form completed at the time of pick up. Permission forms can be printed or emailed to Mrs. Pettit.
If you have any questions concerning the YA form, or how to access books through our Follett system, please email Mrs. Pettit at: email@example.com
CMS Library Technician
Military Families Resources
YOUR CHILD’S ARTWORK FEATURED THIS APRIL ~ MONTH OF THE MILITARY CHILD
Calling all artists! MWR Community Rec and Child & Youth Programs are partnering to create MOTMC Activity Bundles for programming in April and we need your input NOW! The bundles will be packaged in a reusable fabric storage container. Here’s the fun part…that container is going to be personalized with a patch that could feature YOUR CHILD’S ARTWORK! To enter, use the “Month of the Military Child” Word doc attached. All entries MUST be submitted using the attached document. Entries may be submitted in-person to the NAB Community Recreation Center or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline to enter is January 29.
WHAT I WISH MY PARENTS KNEW VIRTUAL WORKSHOP
Tuesday, February 23, 5:30-6:30 pm
"What I Wish My Parents Knew" (WIWMPK) are community workshops led by youth to discuss "Tough to Talk About Topics" with parents and community members. Each workshop focuses on providing insight into how youth (middle and high school ages) perceive topics around safety, health, and wellness and we bring in community leaders to share what resources are available in your neighborhood. This month, WIWMPK will give us an inside look into their digital worlds as we discuss Logged In: how to stay safe in the digital world." The workshop will discuss:
- Internet safety
- Digital boundaries
- Youth and parents establishing healthy boundaries
- Online behaviors
- AND MORE...
Zoom Meeting: https://zoom.us/j/99303390561 Meeting ID: 993 0339 0561 Passcode: wIWMPk21!
LEADERSHIP SPOUSE SYMPOSIUM
Thursday, March 25, 9 am-3 pm (or as you are available – see schedule attached)
This unique Fleet & Family Support Center Metro San Diego event is open to all prospective, current, and former XO, CO, CMC and COB spouses. It is a time to meet, network, share support, and collaborate! Topics include "How to Foster Volunteerism in your Group" and "Understanding and Identifying Bias." Also, there will be a panel discussion with key leadership spouses from various Naval communities, a perfect opportunity to tackle those questions you have wondered about and may never had the ability to ask. Pre-submitted questions will be answered by experienced and knowledgeable spouses. This is a virtual event.
Register via email: Christina.email@example.com
TUTOR.COM STEP-BY-STEP VIDEO GUIDE
As of April 2020, all DoD service members, civilian personnel, and all dependent family members (kindergarten-college/adult) are eligible to use Tutor.com/military at no cost. If you've heard of Tutor.com/military but aren't sure how to create an account, or exactly how it works, here is a video to get you started: https://youtu.be/jBhJwYzM0hU. Have additional questions? Email Tutor.com at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Liaison Officer
Naval Base Coronado
Happy Tritons are back to innovating in the iLab!
Triton Shout Outs
Mark your calendar for upcoming dates:
February: Key of Excellence: Commitment
Feb 16 CMS SSC Meeting @3:15
Feb 18 CUSD Board Meeting 4:00 pm (Zoom)
Feb 23-26 School Photo Week
Feb 24 2021-2022 Incoming 9th Grade Parent Night 6:30 pm via Zoom
Feb 26 World Autism Awareness Day
Feb 27 CoSA Dance Conservatory Auditions
March: 8 Keys: This Is It
Mar 2 CHS Counselors Zoom into 8th grade Science classes
Mar 3 CHS Counselors Zoom into 8th grade Science classes
PTO Meeting 6:30 pm -7:30 pm Zoom
Mar 4 Staff Meeting 2:00 pm - 3:15 pm
Mar 8 - 19 Registration appointments for 21-22 9th grade (via Zoom)