By Josh Gray
Type Of Music
a. What is the name of your music? (Is there any significance to the name?) - Latin Jazz is Jazz from Latin America. A more specific term is Afro-Latin Jazz
b. Where is it played, listened and or danced to most commonly. - Latin America
c.Who are the people associated with this type of music? - Machito , Mario Bauza, Tito Puente , Ray Barreto , Eddie Palmieri
HISTORY OF THE MUSIC
a. What is the origin of the music?
(WHEN, WHERE, HOW or WHY did it originate)
Cuba and Brazil
b. What are the musical influences of the music?
blends rhythms and percussion instruments of Cuba and the Spanish Caribbean with jazz and its combination of European and African musical elements.
3. CHARACTERISTICS OF THE MUSIC
a. What are the major characteristics of the music?
- mainly instrumental hybrid music.
- contains progressive Jazz harmonies used in and around its corresponding rhythmic structural arrangement.
- Consists of African based rhythms that continue to develop from the entire Latin American Diaspora.
- allows for the execution of much improvisation using the Jazz vocabulary within the framework and construct of each arrangement.
b. What are the main instruments, vocals or arrangements?
Some of the instruments are :
The vocals are:
c. What social, cultural events or traditions is the music associated with?
It's not played as a tradition, but it is played at almost every Cuban event.
d. Are there special costumes associated with the music?
There are no special costumes
e. Who are some of the most famous artists associated with the music?'
Danilo Perez and David Sanchez
4. CONNECTION TO DANCE
a. What dances if any are associated with this music?
b. What are the characteristics of the dance? (Describe or Demonstrate)
There are none.
5. THE MUSIC TODAY.
What is the projected future of this music?
It will be used at cultural events.
Who, what and where is the music associated with today?
It is played in Cuba and Brazil. Danilo Perez and David Sanchez