PARENT EDITION | August, 2022
WPUSD eNews: December 2022
Important Upcoming Dates
As we enter the holiday season, I thought it would be good to highlight changes in schedules, etc. related to upcoming dates. Please make note of the information below.
High School Finals Week (Dec 19-22)
- High schools will have early release (~1:00 - see site schedules for specifics) for finals
- Elementary and middle schools will have a later early release (~1:40 - see site schedules for specifics)
Winter Break (Dec 23-Jan 6)
- Dec 23-Jan 6 - No School; School Sites Closed
- Dec 23-Jan 2 - District Office Closed to the Public
- Jan 3-6 - District Office Open (10:00-2:00)
- Jan 9 - School Resumes
In This Section
🌟Kris Wyatt Trustee Honor NEW!
👩🏫Substitute Teaching in WPUSD NEW!
🏫2023-2024 Registration Information NEW!
🥗Food Service Updates NEW!
🚌Bus Routes & Transportation
🎓CalKIDS College Savings Account NEW!
📞ParentSquare Resources for Families
👨🏫We're Hiring NEW!
Kris Wyatt Recognized at Placer County Trustee Dinner
On November 15, 2022, the Placer County School Boards Association (PCSBA) celebrated local school board members, honoring five trustees with Trustee of the Year Special Recognition Award. Kris Wyatt, our very own school board member received the Special Recognition Award.
Watch her recognition video below! 👏👏👏
Substitute Teach in Western Placer!
Have you been interested in substitute teaching? Starting on January 1, it will be even easier to get your substitute teaching permit - all you need is a bachelor's degree and a desire to work with kids! You can apply to be a substitute with us on Edjoin HERE. If you have questions, don't hesitate to call the Personnel Department at 916-645-5293!
2023-2024 New Student Registration Info Nights
As we plan for the upcoming school year, we will begin to push out a series of important dates and events for those newly registering for the 2023-2024 school year. Below is a button linked to a list of upcoming information sessions held in both English and Spanish. If you, or someone you know, is planning to register a child for TK, Kindergarten, or our Bilingual Immersion Program next year, please use the link below to register.
Key Dates for 2022-2024 New Student Registration, Bilingual Immersion & Transfers
- December 7, 2022: Bilingual Immersion Parent Information Night (English Session) 5:30 pm
- December 7, 2022: Bilingual Immersion Parent Information Night (Spanish Session) 6:45 pm
- December 8, 2022: TK/K Virtual Registration Information Night (English Session) 6:00 pm
- December 13, 2022: TK/K Virtual Registration Information Night (Spanish Session) 6:00 pm
- *January 10, 2023: Online Registration OPENS at 8am
- ^January 19, 2023: Begin Accepting Intra-District Transfers (within the district) at 8am
- February 1, 2023: Begin Accepting Inter-District Transfers (outside of district)
- *February 10, 2023: Deadline for Bilingual Immersion Lottery
- ^February 16, 2023: Deadline for High School Intra-District Transfers ONLY (TK-8 accepted through June 2023)
- *February 21, 2023: Deadline to submit 2023-2024 priority registration online
- February 24 - March 3, 2023: Parent notification for Bilingual Immersion Program placement
- Late March - Early April 2023: Parent notification for TK placement
*IMPORTANT REGISTRATION DATES TO NOTE
^IMPORTANT TRANSFER DATES TO NOTE
Food & Nutrition Services
CDFA Grant - Awarded $150,000!
On November 10th, The California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) awarded Western Placer Unified School District Food Service Department $150,000.00 for the project titled, “WPUSD Food Service - Culinary Coordinator and Outreach.” We will use these funds to hire a department chef to help develop scratch made menu selections and elevate our overall quality of meals offered. We will also use these funds to develop materials to improve the appearance of our school cafeterias. We are so thankful to CDFA for this grant!
Bus Routes & Transportation
Bus Pass Application Reminder
We want to remind families all students riding the bus are required to have a 2022/2023 school year bus pass. The 2022/2023 Bus Pass application is available by clicking here.
Bus Driver Shortage
Come join our great team of drivers! WPUSD has not been exempt from the nationwide school bus driver shortage. This has forced our district to consolidate bus routes until we are able to fill open positions. If you like driving, having holiday and summer breaks off, COME JOIN OUR TEAM. We offer competitive wages, benefit package and retirement package. Click here to apply.
Where's My School Bus?
If you're wondering where and when the bus will be arriving to take your child to school or bring them home please click HERE to check out the most up-to-date bus route times for your student.
COVID Protocols & Cases
As a reminder, we created a FAQ document (HERE) to help answer questions you may have about our district's response to COVID for the school year.
Numbers have been relatively low the past few weeks but, we need to continue to be alert and aware of students' health. Please continue to be vigilant and communicate with your school sites should your student become symptomatic and/or test positive for COVID.
CalKIDS College Savings Account
Did you know that your student can be awarded a $500 college savings account if your family qualifies as low-income?
It’s true! California has begun a program called CalKIDS to give low-income students a jump start on saving for college. Additionally, if your family receives McKinney-Vento support from the district, your student qualifies for another $500. (Families are not required to contribute any additional money.)
ParentSquare Resources for Parents
ParentSquare is the primary method of communication (aside from your standard email and phone call) district and site staff will use to communicate with you! To access your account, log in through your internet browser or download the ParentSquare app. It offers different notification settings, so you are in control of when and how you receive information. Learn how to get started here!
Seeing too many emails? Switch to digest mode by accessing your account and notification settings.
WE ARE HIRING!
Get Involved with your Child's Education - APPLY NOW!
WPUSD is hiring! Check out our current job openings at https://www.edjoin.org/wpusd. We are especially in need of substitutes for both teaching and classified positions!
Other open positions:
- Technology Support Technician I
- On Call Interpreter
- Bus Driver
- Instructional Aide - Varying sites
- Coaching Positions
- Many More!
ACTION SECTION: PARENT 'TO-DO'S'
In This Section
🏡Fill Out The Annual Household Income Form
📚Accessing Your Child's SBAC Test Scores
🚨Update Your Emergency Contact Information
Annual Household Income Form
WPUSD ALTERNATE INCOME FORM - Deadline for submission is Friday, November 18th
As many of you have seen since August, we have been asking for families to submit a household income form to us. As of today, only 1,094 families have done so. To those who have...thank you so much!
If you have not yet submitted the household income form, this is a gentle reminder. (If you can't remember if you submitted it or not, submit it again!) This form can easily be completed online and will provide your school with extra funding. Your school also has paper copies available, if that method works better for you.
As some of you may know, a portion of every school's funding is determined by the needs of its students. Extra funding is distributed by the state to districts and schools based on how many of our households fall into an income category that qualifies us for extra funding.
WHY FILL OUT THE FORM?
Your school might receive:
- additional support staff for schools, like Instructional Aides, Intervention Support Providers, and after school tutors
- more resources for classrooms and teachers
- additional health and wellness services
Your student(s) also gains some additional benefits:
- fee waivers for college applications
- fee waivers for college admissions exams (i.e. SAT/ACT/AP)
- a $500 CalKIDS college savings account (www.calkids.org)
It’s a quick process and only needs to be completed once for each household. By taking the time to fill out this form, you are taking part in a process that might provide thousands of dollars in funds to the school your student attends.
You can also request a paper copy of the form from your school office or the District Office, 600 Sixth Street, Suite 400, Lincoln, CA 95648. If you need assistance in completing this form please contact your child's school office or the District Office (916) 645-6350 and we can help!
Accessing Your Child’s CAASPP (SBAC) Test Scores
If your student was in grades 3-8 or grade 11 last year, they took a state test in the spring called the CAASPP. The test measures your student’s academic performance in English Language Arts and Math. All CAASPP test results are now available for parents and guardians to view, and that is done via our PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Here is a quick overview on how to retrieve your student’s SBAC results via the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Note: the Score Reports are not yet available using the PowerSchool mobile app, so please use a web browser to access this content.
- Log on to the PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Once logged in, scroll down and click the Score Reports link near the bottom of the left-hand menu. (Note: if you have multiple students enrolled, make sure you have the proper student selected up top prior to clicking the Score Reports link.)
- Click the ‘Assessment’ drop-down to choose the desired test, select the desired year from the ‘Year’ drop-down, then click ‘Get Report’
- If the assessment results are available, details will appear on the screen below. Click ‘View’ to see the report. It will open on your computer as a PDF.
For more detailed instructions, see attachment below.
Review/Update Your Emergency Contact Information
Online access is now LIVE!
If you haven't done so already, you will need to review your child’s emergency contact and health information for any updates. When reviewing and updating your child’s information, you will also be electronically signing your child’s 2022-2023 Technology Use and Waiver Agreements, Student Health Insurance option, and Photo Release Opt-Out Forms.
Please contact your child's SCHOOL office if you have any questions. If you've already completed this process, no action is needed. If you have not completed this process, it may impact your child's ability to attend school events and use district technology.
**If don't have a Parent Portal account you should have received an email or letter with information and instructions to set up your account. If did not receive an email or letter or you forgot your student’s Access ID/Password, please contact your child’s SCHOOL and they can help.**
If you need technical assistance, please email HelpDesk@wpusd.org.
Western Placer Unified School District
Wondering where our past newsletters are camped out? 🏕️ Click here.
See ways we can improve our monthly newsletter? Let us know here!
Did you actually get this far through our newsletter? Thank you! We appreciate you!