Thursday, May 21, 2020
A Note from Ms. Owens
I hope your family is able to enjoy some Virtual Field Day games on Thursday or Friday. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of students - and maybe their families - competing in the activities.
In the list of buttons below, you will find a calendar for the remainder of the school year. It is a live document so it will be updated if the need arises. Here are some upcoming dates I'd like to point out:
- Reverse Parade to Celebrate 8th Grade - Wednesday, May 27 at noon (scroll for details)
- Last day of learning and instruction for 1st-7th - Friday, May 29
- Book return, belongings pick up and report card distribution - Monday, June 1 and Tuesday June 2 (more details TBA)
We will be putting out a survey in early June to gather feedback on this distance learning experience so we can better prepare for any events like this in the future. In the meantime, if you have concerns about your child's experience during this time of distance learning, please reach out directly to your student's teacher so they can work with you to support your child.
You may recall that OCS Grading Guidelines mean that for this third trimester, our students in Grades 3-8 will earn grades of A, B, C or Incomplete on their report cards. We've done the work to allow this change over and teachers will be updating their gradebooks to reflect OCS guidelines. Any grades of D or F will now show as Incomplete. The Grading Guidelines that SCA will follow for this marking period are available below.
Deadlines for late work or make up work
- PK, K and 8th grade - Tuesday, May 19
- 1st-7th grades - Tuesday, May 26
Deadline for making up incompletes - Friday, June 5th
- Available only to subjects where a student earns an Incomplete on their report card
Our return to celebrating (virtual) All-School Mass continues tomorrow and will be followed by our National Junior Honors Society Induction. The Mass will be live streamed at 10AM on the church's Facebook page. Thank you to all the families involved as they help to keep this tradition alive while we cannot gather as a community. And, of course, congratulations to our inductees. A worship aid for tomorrow's Mass is available below.
And now for some quick but, important, news...
- If your family is interested in hosting Morning Announcements and Prayers, please sign up at the button below. We have one space left for this school year. Thank you to our families who have hosted our mornings so far. They are a way wonderful to start the morning!
- Several families have contacted the school with questions about the process for picking up students' belongings at the end of the year. The Office of Catholic Schools has released their guidelines, and we will share the details of the procedure we will follow at St. Catherine once they have been finalized.
- The Chicago Archdiocese has released its plan for the phased reopening of our churches. The Executive Summary of the Reopening Plan for Churches is available below. We have not received any additional information regarding First Communion or Confirmation.
- If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email. Scroll down to see local businesses we can support.
Please continue to pray for one another as well as all those people on the front line during this crisis. Stay safe and stay healthy.
Congratulations to Our MathCats!
These 7th graders all received Honorable Mention at the national level this year.
- Brendan Curran
- Jack Donahue
- Ray Gaida
- Luke Nowakowski
- Ryan Soch
These 4th and 5th graders also participated in the national math test.
- Kristen Curran
- Aidan Benkomeyer
- Jacob Fleckenstein
- Haylee Plaehn
And, more great news, Jacob Fleckenstein is now registered on the National Honor Roll.
Reverse Parade for 8th Grade Graduates
Wednesday, May 27 should be our 8th graders last day in the school building. In other years, we would 'clap them out' as they walk each hallway. However, since we can't do that, we've planned a 'reverse parade' with faculty, staff and SCA families lining the streets as 8th graders drive the route in their family vehicles.
- The parade will begin at noon.
- Faculty and staff will be in front of the school.
SCA families are invited to line the remainder of the route:
- 105th and Kedvale to Kostner
- Kostner to 107th
- 107th to Lawn Manor
We encourage you to participate by lining the route and donning SCA spirit wear. We also want to remind you of the importance of social distancing along the route. Please be sure to keep at least 6 feet of distance between members of your household and those of another household.
Some Dates for Next School Year
- First day of School - August 20th
- Christmas Break - December 23-January 5th
- Easter Break - April 2nd - April 9th
- 8th Grade Graduation - June 4th
- Last Day of School June 9th
Dream Raffle Update
This is a major fundraiser for both the church and the school. For the school, the raffle plays a huge role in avoiding large increases in tuition rates. If you're able, the church and the school would be hugely appreciative of your support.
Area Resources for Those in Need
Ways to Support Our Local Small Businesses
If you know of an SCA family who owns a small business that we can publicize here to help support them, please reach out to me via email.
This restaurant is owned by the same family that owns Bar 106, where our Queen of Hearts Raffle is hosted.
Faith Resources and Activities
- Please remember that you and your family can view St. Catherine daily Masses with Fr. Dennis or Fr. Nick by clicking on the button below.
- Consider participating in or helping to lead our weekly Rosary for Healing on Tuesdays at 6:30PM. Buttons are below.
- If you are missing conversations about scripture, Zoom into Scripture is for you. Groups are forming for adults and for families. The sign ups are below.
- On Wednesdays at 10AM, the Archdiocese is hosting a Mass for All Catholic Schools. Information on how to participate in the Mass is below.
Queen of Hearts Raffle
While Queen of Hearts has been paused, the SCA community can support the owners of Bar 106, the local business that hosts our Queen of Hearts drawings, by ordering curbside pick up from The Whistle Sports Bar and Grill.