By: Soumya Somani
Why was Hitler Youth created?
Hitler Youth Mentality
The Evolution of Hitler Youth
Hitler Youth Structure
The Hitler Youth had Ten Commandments, here are three:
Remember you are a German
As a German, choose only a German spouse or someone with Nordic blood.
- When you’ve made a choice of a partner, ask about his or her ancestors.
Hitler Youth Uniform (boys): short black pants, brown shirt, and black scarf around the collar with a special insignia sewn on the sleeve.
Bund Deutscher Mädel (girls segment of Hitler Youth): a dark blue skirt, black neckerchief, and a white blouse with a brown climbing jacket for winter, which changed over the year depending on fashion and seasons.
The Hitler Youth was basically a type of radicalized Boy Scouts, where kids went on many hiking and camping trips, outdoor training exercises, and played games.
Boys and girls at a young age participated in competitions and sports, and played many childish games. As boys grew older, sports were less focused on and military discipline was instilled, and as for girls they were trained more and more to become the mothers of Germany.
Other Facts and Figures
- The ceremony of admitting new initiates was always on April 20th, Hitler’s birthday.
- Children and Teens had to prove that they were healthy and had no hereditary diseases, by passing physical tests like running and swimming. Some physically disabled kids were allowed to join a special section as long as they passed the racial test. Still, mentally handicapped, blind, and deaf children were not allowed to join.
- Many teenage boys were taught to kill without remorse: They were to bring a beloved pet and kill it, to show that their obedience to Hitler outweighed their attachment to anyone and anything
- Tens of thousands of Hitler Youth members died in fierce battle against the Russian Army.
- The Hitler Youth movement was overseen by Balder von Shirach.
- Hitler believed the weak are useless and had said “The weak must be chiselled away. I want young men and women who can suffer pain. A young German must be as swift as a greyhound, as tough as leather, and as hard as Krupp’s steel.”
Dagobert (Bert) Lewyn
Rudolf (Rudi) Wobbe
- Inge, Hans, and Sophie Scholl
- Hitler Youth with their drums and flags in the stadium in Berlin-Grunewald, June 1933. (Photo: German Federal Archives/ Bundesarchiv, Bild 102-14683 / CC-BY-SA)
- Centuries on Pintrest. Digital image. Www.pinterest.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Jan. 2016. <https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/66/15/78/6615785058b756e71ac5a6e8279edf25.jpg>.
- In 1938, Hitler Youth set off for Nuremberg in anticipation of seeing Der Führer at one of the Nazi rallies. Digital image. 1945: A Youth in Ruins. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Jan. 2016. <http://www.dw.com/image/0,,17710439_403,00.jpg>.
- Wangerin - Youth. Digital image. Www.rootsweb.ancestry.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Jan. 2016.
- The Walking Contradiction. Digital image. Https://alexandraculshaw.wordpress.com/. N.p., n.d. Web. 6 Jan. 2016. <https://alexandraculshaw.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/hitler.jpg>.
Youtube Video: "Hitler Jugend Lied [HQ] ðµ Hitler Youth Anthem (1925-1945)." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 06 Jan. 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmPfd3WgAs>.