4th Grade Weekly Happenings
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of March 9
What Are We Learning This Week?
- paired passage
- Sitton List 22
- compound words
- algebraic expressions and equations
- the Texas Revolution
- student-written reader's theater
Science: Changing Earth
- renewable & non-renewable resources
- end-of-unit review
- revising & editing
- review of personal narrative and expository compositions
Our Current Week
- blue specials day
- spelling homework due
- math homework due
- purple specials day
- red specials day - Mrs. Weltzin's homeroom, remember your library books!
- orange specials day
- yellow specials day
- carnival basket items due - extended deadline
- Spell Check over Sitton List 22
- REQUIRED: Blue packet handed out on Monday 3/9 and due on Monday 3/23 (posted on class website under Homework)
- RECOMMENDED: 30 minutes per week of math fact practice (Xtra Math is recommended, but could use other websites and/or flash cards if you prefer)
- Reading passage: "Animals in Native American Art"
- RECOMMENDED: read 100 minutes/week (25 minutes/4 nights); may log on line
- RECOMMENDED: iStation reading practice (free app available for iOS & Android devices; students have login info in binders)
- Green spelling worksheet handed out on Monday 3/9 and due on Monday 3/23
- Sitton List 22 - Spell Check on Friday
All homework is weekly homework (not daily).
SHHHH.... Survivor Island: DONATIONS NEEDED!
We are gearing up for our favorite week of the year and are very excited about it! We mentioned in an earlier email that we would be having our annual Camp Write Along week the week after Spring Break (March 23 - 27). We've decided that it was time to shake things up, and have evolved our previous camp theme into "Survivor Island: Do You Have the WRITE Stuff?". We're so excited to surprise and challenge our students as we journey with them through the elements of the writing process that week and celebrate how far they've come as writers. This week is, by far, the one the students remember the most fondly when they look back on their fourth grade experience, and we can't wait to share it with them!
We would appreciate some donations from you if you're able to help make this a memorable week. Every year with our parents' help, we provide a trail mix snack to the students. The ingredients of the snack mix tie directly into the elements of the writing process, and we use it both as a teaching tool and mid-morning nourishment. Please see the link below to donate an item or two. We are aware the list looks extensive, but we are soliciting ingredients for both homerooms for the entire week.
Donations may be sent in at any time starting immediately. We would prefer to have items brought in before spring break (no later than Friday, March 13th). That way we can ensure we have the necessary items ready to go when we come back from break to find our neighborhood and classrooms transformed into a shipwrecked island. Please remember that this is a surprise for our students! If your child questions why they're being asked to bring in an item, just tell them that those teachers are crazy and who knows what they're up to now :).
Game Donations Requested
On the Horizon - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The following dates, to the best of our knowledge at this time, are the dates for the 3rd and 4th 9 weeks that will affect your 4th grader. Please make note of them on your personal calendars. We'd appreciate it if you could limit appointments and absences as much as possible on our state testing days (Writing - 3/30, 3/31, Math - 4/21 and Reading - 4/22)...thanks!
Please update your calendars accordingly. Dates are subject to change; we will do our best to keep this current. If there are any additions from the previous week's newsletter, they will be in italics below.
Monday 3/16 - Friday 3/20
- NO SCHOOL - Spring Break
- PTA Spring Carnival (subject to change)
- STAAR Writing Test, Day 1
- STAAR Writing Test, Day 2
- end of 3rd 9 weeks grading period
- NO SCHOOL - student / staff holiday
- STAAR Math Test
- STAAR Reading Test
- SCHOOL IS IN SESSION - inclement weather makeup day
- 4th Grade Field Trip to Pioneer Farms; more info to come
Monday 5/4 - Friday 5/8
- Scholastic book fair in library
- Splash Day is no longer occurring on this date as originally scheduled; look for more information soon about the rescheduling of this event
- Living Museum in the MPR: times TBD; more info to come
- 4th & 5th Grade Track & Field meet at Ranger Stadium - more info to come
- NO SCHOOL - inclement weather make up day
- NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day Holiday
- 5th Grade Business Fair - during specials; tickets available that week for students that wish to purchase items. More information to come.
- last day of school; end of 4th 9 Weeks - HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!!!
Elizabeth & Reanna