Diversity Links for the La Crosse Area
- African American Cultural Alliance of Greater La Crosse
- African American Mutual Assistance Network
- C.H.A.I. Cultural Heritage Association of India
- DimSum Tea Shop teaches Chinese culture at Tea Tasting parties
- Ho-Chunk Nation Three Rivers House
- Ho-Chunk Nation Language Division
- LGBT Resource Center for the 7 Rivers Region
- La Crosse Area Latino Collaborative Website
- La Crosse Hmong Cultural and Community Agency (HCCA)
- La Crosse HCCA Youtube Channel
- La Crosse Area Multicultural Resource Guide
- H.O.P.E. (Hmong Organization Promoting Education - UW-L)
- My Personal Diversity Resource Page
Learning Opportunities in the Area
- Ho-Chunk Nation: Three Rivers House in La Crosse - you may attend family nights and/or contact them to learn more about the Ho-Chunk Nation. There are also pow-wows periodically at UW-L.
- Hmoob (Hmong) Cultural and Community Agency - contact to learn more about Hmong culture
- Deepawali (festival of lights) sponsored by the Cultural Heritage Association of India
- Hmong New Year is celebrated in the fall each year
Annual Act 31 Widening the Circle
The symposium is designed to follow traditional values in bringing people together to provide culturally responsive model of multicultural and Indigenous education to assist all teachers and students in developing a critical consciousness.
What is the schedule like?
- Daily education sessions on culturally responsive practices & related practices
- Evening community dinner & cultural activity (In the past there have been plays, documentary showings, keynote speakers, or other education events)
- You may come to all or some of the activities. If you only come to the evening events, there is no charge, but there is a fee if you would like to attend the sessions during the day.
- You may earn 1 CEU from Viterbo if you sign up for that option.
Student Created Display
Widening the Circle is for students too. Youth come from around the state to participate.
Xong introduced the session on Culture and Language Sovereignty.
Culture and Language Sovereignty
Dr. Yer Thao and Adrienne Thunder had a discussion about education and its impact on indigenous students.