Name of Colony
3. North Carolina
Group of Proprietors
4. South Carolina
Group of Proprietors
The Southern Colonies were mainly formed for agricultural purposes. Their main focus was plantations and farming. Their goal was to make money from this.
1) Runs from the mountains from the north and Northeast to the Coastal Plains in the Southeast.
1) It covers 12,407 square miles, making it the 42nd largest of the fifty states.
1) In the west, the land slopes upward from gentle to rugged rolling hills to the high southern Appalachian mountains containing the Blue Ridge and Great Smokey Mountains
1) It covers 32,007 square miles, making it the 40th largest of the fifty states.
1) The geographic center of Virginia is located in Buckingham County, five miles Southwest of Buckingham
2) It can be divided into six main land regions.
2) Divided into two obvious sections by Chesapeake Bay.
2) Divided into three main regions: Mountains, Piedmont, and Costal Plains.
2) Two thirds of South Carolina is covered by the Atlantic Coastal Plain
2) Divide into five main regions: Atlantic Coastal Plain, Piedmont, Blue Ridge, Appalachian Ridge, Valley Region, and Appalachian Plateau.
3) Highest recorded temperature is 112 degrees F; lowest is -17 degrees F. Humid subtropical climate with mild winters and hot, moist summers.
3) Highest temperature recorded is 109 degrees F; lowest is -40 degrees F.
3) Highest temperature recorded is 110 degrees F; lowest is -34 degrees F.
3) Highest temperature recorded is 111 degrees F; lowest is -19 degrees F.
3) Highest temperature recorded is 110 degrees F; lowest is -30 degrees F.
Southern Colonies would sit in church for most of the day and most people believed that it should be an all-day event.
They were almost entirely agricultural. Their main feature was plantations, a large plot of land that contains a great many acres of farm land. A large part of the work force was African slaves. They arrived in 1619.
· At a time, the colony was only growing rice and Indigo
· In 1670, the English developed Charleston, which became very important to the future of South Carolina.
· In 1736, the first theater opened in Charleston.
· Malaria, Dysentery, Small Pox, and Cholera were cured by natural substances.