The Eagle's Nest
Graham Kapowsin Newsletter - August 2022
From the Principal
Welcome to the 2022/23 School Year GKHS families! I am excited to welcome students back to what will be a great school year. At GKHS we believe that Orange and Blue Starts with YOU. YOU stands for “Your personal best everyday,” “Own your future,” and “Understand we are one.” This is the language that teachers use with students as they work toward graduation and life after graduation. We want every student to feel a sense of belonging at GKHS.
This summer the construction team has been busy at work on our expansion project. Students will notice some changes when they return in the fall. The full project- including the 3rd wing – will be complete in the summer of 2023 so this year we will still have areas of the school under construction.
The student day this year is 7:40am-2:10pm and the first day of school is Tuesday, September 6th. We will have a 3-day Freshman Orientation for all incoming 9th grade students August 24-26 from 9:40am-2:10pm. Transportation will be provided to Freshman.
We have several supports we will offer students this year. We will continue to have the Writing Center available during lunch and study support to work with students for any writing-based assignments such as English or Social Studies papers, Science labs, or other assignments. This will be in room 232. We will have a math tutoring center in room 256 that will be available during all lunches, study support, and select days after school. Students should be aware of these resources and availability of staff to support them in their learning.
Finally, please take time to review the information enclosed as it provides details about the beginning of the school year and what you can do to prepare. If you have any questions about the details listed in this newsletter please feel free to contact us at 253-800-6100. Again, I am looking forward to a great year and am excited to see the students again soon!
2022-2023 School Year Begins!
GKHS Main Office Opens
Student Day for 2022-23
Eagle's Launch Day (Formally Known as Get Your Stuff Day)
We will have our Eagle’s Launch Day on Tuesday, August 30th from 9am-3pm. Students can get their ID pictures taken, pick up their I-Pads if needed, walk the school to see their classes, buy GK spirit gear, pay for ASB cards and other items and participate in our annual "Food Truck Frenzy."
Pay online to avoid long lines.
Photographers will be on campus to take pictures during “Get Your Stuff” day. Please do not miss these photographs. All students must have their picture taken for a school ID card (ID cards are free of charge). Parents are also welcome to purchase these school pictures. Prepay for pictures.
To help everything run smoothly, students should plan to attend during assigned times by last name. We look forward to seeing you tomorrow!
Times By Last Name:
· 9-10AM: A – Col
· 10-11AM: Com - G
· 11-12PM: H - Lo
· 12 – 1PM: Lu - Pe
· 1 – 2PM: Pf - Sol
· 2 – 3PM: Som - Z
Freshmen Bridge Week /Orientation
- Transportation will be provided to Freshmen.
- Snacks will be provided.
iPad Insurance Forms & Distribution
It is important that that iPad forms for ALL STUDENTS (incoming & returning) are completed for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Go to https://wa-bethel.intouchreceipting.com
- Complete the iPad forms online.
- Select/purchase iPad coverage options online.
Not sure how to complete the forms online? Go here: https://www.bethelsd.org/Page/5547
iPad Form FAQs: https://www.bethelsd.org/Page/5257
- Staff will be on hand during Eagles' Launch on 8/30 to further assist with the 2022-23 annual iPad insurance paperwork.
- Freshmen will be able to check out iPads during Bridge Week (8/25) if iPad insurance paperwork has been completed.
- New-to-GKHS 9-12th grade students will be able to check out iPads during Eagles' Launch day (8/30) if iPad insurance paperwork has been completed.
Medications, Life-threatening Conditions, Vaccinations
We want to make sure that all students can start the school year, for this to happen please
provide the school with authorizations for your child's medication and treatments for life-
threatening conditions prior to school starting on September 6, 2022.
New orders are needed each year for medications required at school
Life-Threatening care plans and medication must have a new health plan with new
medication and orders in place 3 days before the start of school.
Student Life at GKHS
Fall Sports Information
We are all looking forward to our Fall Sports starting up. Football will begin practices on the 17th. Girls swimming, boys tennis, girls soccer, X-county, golf, and girls volleyball will all start on the 22nd. Please visit the GK website (https://www.bethelsd.org/Page/5226) to see start times and locations for practices. Also on the page is the office hours for the athletic area. Please make sure all students that wish to participate in fall sports have an updated physical on file with Mr. Duncanson and have been signed up through ParentVue. This will be a year to remember!!!
Our ASB (Associated Student Body – Student Government) at GK is very active. Students are encouraged to become involved in the many activities that are offered. For example, they organize dances, talent shows, assemblies, homecoming, gym nights, and clubs.
Students may support the ASB by purchasing an ASB card for $50.00. Cards may be purchased at our “Eagles Launch Day” on August 30th or Pay online . The cards may also be purchased in the ASB office. Students who purchase an ASB card receive discounts at school events (dances, sporting events, activities) and at local businesses when they show their card.
Students who are members of clubs, sports, or activities funded by ASB must purchase an ASB card. Examples of groups: Band, Choir, Cheer, Yearbook Staff, Leadership/Renaissance Students, and all athletes.
Student Parking Permits
Parking on campus is a privilege that we want to extend to all our student drivers. Students must follow all safety regulations and signs plus meet the following conditions:
- Have a minimum 2.7 cumulative GPA
- Be in good standing (No suspensions)
- Show current vehicle registration and proof of insurance
- Pay a $40.00 parking fee and complete and submit an application form
- Assure all Bethel District fines and fees are paid
- Maintain safe driving standards
- Maintain good attendance - parking passes will be revoked for truancy!
Applications will be available during “Eagles Launch Day” and in the main office during lunches throughout the school year. Parking passes must be purchased each year and are not transferable.
Changes for Student Meals This Fall
At the conclusion of the 2021-22 school year, the USDA pandemic feeding waivers that allowed us to provide free breakfast and lunch to all students are set to expire.
This means we will be returning to a paid meal service this fall under USDA’s National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. Meals will be charged according to a student’s free, reduced, or paid meal eligibility status.
Your student may qualify for free or reduced-price meals. Qualification is based on household income and an application must be submitted and on file for the current school year.
The online application only takes a few minutes and can be completed using your smartphone, tablet, or computer. For questions or assistance, contact Child Nutrition Services during regular business hours 7:00-3:30 p.m. at 253-800-3912. Applications for school meal benefits will be processed within 10 business days.
Apply for Free-Reduced Meals:
Put Money of Student's Meal Account:
Cell Phone Free Zone
All GKHS classrooms are cell phone free zones. As a technology forward school, Graham-Kapowsin wants to help teach and promote appropriate digital citizenship. As a result, cell phones should remain in lockers, bags, or backpacks, off or in airplane mode, through the duration of their classes. All teachers will have a consistently worded cell phone free policy in their syllabi/course expectations, supported by a progressive administrative policy to reinforce it. Cell phone use is allowed during passing periods and before/after school.
1st offense: Student will be permitted to pick up the device in the office after the school day has ended.
2nd offense: Parent/guardian contact; student will be permitted to pick up the device in the office after the school day has ended. Student may be required to keep the device at home, or in the office safe during the next school day.
3rd offense: Parent/guardian must pick up the device, and a plan created with parent and student.
4th offense: Students may receive a 2-day suspension for insubordination in lieu of having the device kept until the end of the school year. Parent must still pick up the device.
Anytime devices are used at school, staff have the right to question the specific usage. Refusal to turn over an electronic device will result in further discipline.
With permission from office staff, students may be permitted to use their cell phones in the office to contact parent/guardian during class time.
Shopping for School Clothes??? Check Out the GK Dress Code
In order to facilitate learning for all students, GKHS requires that.student dress and appearance follow health and safety standards and not cause disruption to the learning environment. Students who do not follow these guidelines will be asked to change their clothing, cover up, or call parents for a change of clothes.
· Bizarre (including animal tails, ears, etc.) or immodest dress or grooming which disrupts the teaching-learning atmosphere pajamas, robes, and blankets are not acceptable clothing for school.
· Any clothing, grooming, or behavior that symbolizes/represents gang-related activities or hatred toward another person or group is not permitted.
· Markings or insignia on clothing, must not be obscene, suggestive, or advocate disruptive or illegal activity.
· Clothing that promotes drugs, alcohol, tobacco, violence, or are sexually suggestive.
· Clothes may not show underwear or reveal an excessive amount of skin.
· Footwear must be worn at all times and be appropriate to the activity.
Students are encouraged to demonstrate school pride by including orange and blue in some of their attire (especially on Fridays).
Schedules should be available through StudentVue and Parent Vue on August 24th. (Note, that students will not be able to see schedules until guardians have completed the 2022-23 Annual Update in ParentVue.) Be sure to print out or have the schedule on your phone on the first day of school. Schedules can be changing even on the first day.
Students with schedule questions should email their counselor. Counselors are assigned to students based on student’s last name.
A-Col = Gaylin Peterson
Com-G = Brad Hostak
H-Lo = Emmalee Kronoff
Lu-Pe = Jennie Colgan
Pf-Sol = Maria Otero
Som-Z = Mike Stallman
If you find a duplication of classes on your schedule or are missing a class, e-mail your counselor. Counselors return to work at the end of August
Please note that there will be NO course changes. Every attempt was made to schedule students into their “first choices” or alternates stated on the registration form.
Counselors will NOT be available during "Eagles Launch Day" to answer questions about schedules.
Do you want a Locker?
- Students may sign up for a locker on “Eagles Launch Day" (8/30).
- Assigned locker and locker combination will be available online through StudentVue once processed.
- Students may only have one locker partner and both students must approve of the assignment.
- Students are allowed to use one locker during the school year.
- The locker remains school property and is under the supervision of school personnel.
- Students are responsible for contents of lockers assigned to them and/or their partner.
- Locker combinations should not be shared with anyone.
- Students are responsible for the appearance of their lockers. Defacement, contraband or damage will result in the assignment of restitution payments for damage and/or repairs.
GKHS Clubs & Activities - Get Involved!
Graham Kapowsin High School offers a variety of clubs and activities in which your student can be a part of! A study shows that being involved in after-school activities can benefit students in a numerous ways, which include, but are not limited to:
- Time Management and Prioritizing
- Exploring Diverse Interests
- Making a Contribution
- Building Self-Esteem
- College Applications
- Setting Goals
- Teamwork and
Below is a list of some of the clubs that have been offered at GKHS:
- Art Club
- Black Student Union
- Book Club
- Drama Club
- Gaming Guild
- Drama Club
- National Honor Society
- GSA club
- and much more!
School Supplies List
Graham Kapowsin does not have a required school supply list. We do ask the students come prepare to learn with a charged ipad and any other supplies teachers may request for their specific class.
Below are suggested supplies that may be useful. If Individual teachers/classes have specific required supplies. Students will be notified of these supplies at the beginning of school.
- #2 pencils
- Several black or blue ink pens
- College-ruled notebook paper
Additional Useful Supplies:
- Colored pencils
- Stylus with replacement tips
- Extra charger for iPad
- Sticky notes or index cards
- Composition books are used for many courses – suggest purchasing 1 to 2
Required for PE Classes:
- 1 set of exercise clothes (shorts, tennis shoes, socks, T-shirt, sweats)
Math Class May Require:
- Graphing Calculator (TI 83/84 series – New $100, Used $50, Rent @ no cost.) A limited number of calculators are available for minimal rental price at GKHS.
- Quarter Inch Graph Paper (ream)
- Math Binder or Composition Book (graph paper)
- Pencils 3 dozen (mechanical, sharpener)
- Straight Edge
- Protractor and Compass for Geometry
If you need assistance with any school supplies, please contact our school social worker, Katie Kiimball at 253-800-6170 or our counseling center 253-800-6176.
Parent Support Information
Do you know that you can monitor your student’s education on any electronic device? There is no need to wait until parent-teacher conferences to get valuable communication. ParentVue provides up-to-the-minute information about your student’s academic progress and attendance.
Your students have their own accounts to check grades, view assignments, and email their teachers. We do not provide students with a parent’s log in and password. Please do not share this information with them.
In ParentVue you are able to:
• View your student’s attendance, grades, and assignments
• Register your student for athletics
• Sign required online forms
• Submit absent notifications to your child’s school
• View and print report cards
• Print immunizations
• Email your student’s teachers
• Request changes to your demographic information
Student Drop Off and Pick Up
Just a reminder about student drop off and pick up before and after school.
- Students are NOT to be dropped off or picked in the back staff/bus lot before or after school.
- Parents and students should NOT be parking in the back staff/bus lot before or after school.
- Please enter from the 108th/224th entrance gate
- Follow all direction given by the traffic supervisors.
- The access road is for bus use only during the before/after school hour.
- When dropping off /picking up students in the front lot, please move all the way forward to allow room for as many cars as possible.
Thanks, we want to keep everyone safe!
Join the GKHS Booster Club
GK Booster Club is a volunteer organization devoted to supporting clubs, teams and school programs in a positive way at Graham-Kapowsin High School!
- 2nd Monday of each month 7:00 pm currently by zoom (avg. 30 minutes)
- Provide grants to support various school programs (Link, VIE, People’s Choice)
- Provide scholarships for graduates
- Provide banking support to hold/track funds for various teams and clubs at GKHS
- Sell Spirit Wear to promote Eagle Pride and raise funds
Join today online or turn your membership form into the office.Half of your membership fee goes toward the team/club of your choice!!
- Annual Membership Dues $20.00/Individual or $30 Couple
- Lifetime Membership Dues$50.00/Individual or $80 Couple
Support us effortlessly through the shopping you are already doing!
- Amazon.com: go to http://smile.amazon.com/ch/35-2295029 and choose Graham Kapowsin Booster Club
- Fred Meyer: at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards # 80877
- Ebay: https://www.charity.ebay.com/charity/i/Graham-Kapowsin-Booster-Club/72318
- Benefit: https://www.benefit-mobile.com/causes/graham-kapowsin-booster-club
Expansion Update at GKHS
Construction crews are making amazing progress on the new Graham-Kapowsin High School expansion project. The 33,000-square-foot expansion will add a new classroom wing, an auxiliary gym and weight room, along with a larger commons area and administrative spaces. The new wing will allow students and faculty members to move from portables back into the main building.
The project is scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2023. Click the play button to see a quick video of the progress they're making.