February 12, 2021
Kids Heart Challenge
Dear Sherwood Community,
Our school is ready to kick off the American Heart Association's KIDS HEART CHALLENGE in PE!
We are so excited to participate in this service-learning program from the American Heart Association in February!! Kids Heart Challenge will teach your student(s) how to care for their hearts physically and emotionally. Please register this week or next and take a heart-healthy challenge as a family!
Here’s how you can get a jump start:
1.Get ready to go: Register at http://www2.heart.org/goto/sherwoodelementary or search, “Kids Heart Challenge” in your mobile app store and download.
2. Take the family challenge: Will you move more, choose water, or be kind? All three will set you on the path to a healthy heart, and your student will earn a wristband to show everyone your family took the challenge!
3. Meet one of our real life heart heroes today: Meet Alexa PLUS get ready to find out what’s new with FINN and meet this year’s heart heroes at kickoff!
How to Sign-Up:
- Enter the web address http://www2.heart.org/goto/sherwoodelementary
- Find Sherwood Elementary School and Click sign up
- Click I am new
- When prompted for a Fundraiser, PLEASE CLICK NO THANKS. (We are NOT focusing on fundraising; we ARE focusing on living a healthy lifestyle!)
- Register. Make sure to choose one of the three challenges: Move more OR Choose water OR Be Kind. (Sherwood as a whole is committing to these 3 challenges.)
- Lastly, on your student's page there will be a place to keep track of how many days they are able to complete their challenge.
Wash your hands.
Wear a mask.
Watch your distance.
Stay safe everyone!
No school on Monday, February 15th!
Rachel & Kevin
Equity Audit: We Need Your Voice!
North Shore School District 112 is in the process of conducting a district-wide Equity and Inclusion Audit in partnership with Public Consulting Group (PCG). An essential component of the audit process is hearing from multiple voices from across the district.
Your participation is needed as we work towards identifying and addressing practices, policies, and culture that contribute to inequities across our district. We are committed to doing the work to build spaces where staff, learners, and families are each valued, included, and supported for success.
Focus Groups will be held beginning February 22-26. Each focus group will be conducted virtually by PCG and will last approximately an hour. There will be separate focus groups for families, students, staff, board of education members, and administrators.
Please use this form to select a focus group:Participation de Foro en Espanol / English Focus Group Sign-Up
Livestream Instruction for Quarantined Students
Hearing & Vision Screening
- New students will be screened for hearing and vision.
- Kindergarten, 1st grade and 3rd grade will be screened for hearing.
- 2nd grade will be screening for hearing and vision.
The screenings will occurs over three days: March 2-4.
Michael's PTO Fundraiser 2/23/21
Parenting Through Challenging Times
When: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 7:00 pm
Where: Zoom - Attendance is FREE, Registration Required.
More Info: Parenting children in our complex world has always been difficult and COVID-19 presents us with even more unique challenges. As stressful as this time is for our children, it also gives an important opportunity to teach and model resilience. In this evening discussion for parents, Dr. Doug Bolton will share current brain and social science research that can help guide us through these challenging times by highlighting strategies that will help build resilience in our children so that they can effectively manage stress now and in the future. See this Flyer.
Kids Rank - Continuing the Conversation...
Thursday February 18th, 12:00-1:00 CST
This month we are pleased to be joined by the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) to have a conversation about the impact of military life on kids as they transition within the school system.
MCEC supports all military-connected children by educating, advocating, and collaborating to resolve education challenges associated with the military lifestyle.
Kindergarten Registration 2021-22
Memberships are still for sale - Membership is $30/family. This includes access to the Paperless PTO App for 2 devices. IF you need access on additional devices, additional "keys" can be purchased for $4/each. (Membership funds are used to help support our events, programs, teachers and school.) Membership does NOT include classroom gifts.
You can purchase birthday books through the PTO Website.
Please think of Sherwood if you shop on Amazon this season...
When you use this link at Smile.Amazon.com, Amazon donates 0.5% of the purchase price to Sherwood Elementary School PTO!
Please bookmark this link and support us every time you shop. THANK YOU!
Sherwood Elementary School
Supervision Begins @8:20
AM Session 8:36am - 10:51am
(There will be asynchronous learning between sessions)
Supervision Begins @12:36
PM Session 12:51pm - 3:06pm
(Before and after child care is not available)
Attendance Line: 224-765-3805