CDW Weekly Wrap-Up
November 4, 2022
A Message from Ms. Santa
Thank you to the CDW students for:
- showing up each day prepared!
- embracing learning new things that our teachers have planned.
- joining extra-curricular activities to broaden their experience at CDW.
- proudly representing CDW as a Knight!
Monday, November 7th and Tuesday, November 8th~ Grade 5 Field Trip
Wednesday, November 9th~ Marking Period 1 Ends
Thursday, November 10th and Friday, November 11th~ School is closed for NJEA Convention.
Monday, November 14th~ The Board of Education Meeting will be in the BOE Conference Room at 8:00 PM.
Wednesday, November 16th~ Marking Period 1 Report Cards are released at 12:00 PM.
Thursday, November 17th~ PTO Special Lunch- order at OTPTO.org
Saturday, November 19th~ Grade 8 Clothing Drive from 9:00 AM-2:00 PM at CDW
Wednesday, November 23rd~ 12:30 Dismissal for Thanksgiving Recess
Thursday, November 24th and Friday, November 25th~ School is closed for Thanksgiving Recess.
Tuesday, November 29th~ School Picture Day Make-Ups
Tuesday, November 29th~ PTO Meeting in the CDW Media Center at 7:30 PM
The Long Term Store is open year round and orders are shipped directly to the purchaser.
Both stores offer different merchandise. Links are on OTPTO.org or see below:
LONG TERM: Charles DeWolf Middle School
Grade 8 Cookie Dough Fundraiser
CDW Clothing Drive: November 19th!
The PTO Grade 8 Committee will be hosting a Clothing Drive on Saturday, November 19th from 9:00 AM-2:00 PM. See below for specific information. Please do not drop off any clothing to the school before November 19th.
Keep cleaning out your closets!
CDW Musical Udpate...We Need Your Help!
Halloween at CDW
Ms. Franco's Class goes to Stokes Farm!
Grade 5 Math
Grade 5 Language Arts
On the morning of Halloween, the 5th graders were commissioned to solve some urgent mysteries. Ms. Fischer’s 5th grade Language Arts classes learned that books had been stolen from various locations throughout Old Tappan. The students were given information about the heist and a list of possible suspects. Then they worked together and used inferencing skills to determine who could have committed this horrible crime!
Mrs. Park’s 5th grade students tried to solve the mystery of the stolen Halloween candy. Students took on the identities of iconic Halloween characters and attempted to convince the Monster Jury that they were innocent. Jayden the Headless Horseman, Ella the Skeleton, and Kyle the Skeleton were voted best defense by their monster peers.
Grade 5 Science and Art!
Happy Retirement to Overused Words!
Spanish Cooking Club
NVOT Heroes and Cool Kids
Do not give up on your dreams.
Overcome issues in life.
Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Always show up for yourself.
The NVOT students led the 6th graders in a game called, "Ultimate Rock, Paper, Scissors" to provide a lesson on winning and losing. We always appreciate not only the fun that NVOT Heroes and Cool Kids bring to the classroom, but the important lessons that they provide!
Mr. L's Corner
Reminders and Updates from CDW's Student Manager
Tryouts for the CDW girls' basketball team will be on Monday, November 14th and Tuesday, November 15th after dismissal until 4:45 PM. Please make sure that your child(ren)'s physical has been submitted to Mrs. McCarthy and is up to date.
CDW Soccer and Volleyball
Way to go Knights! We are proud of you!
Quantum Steampunk Short Story Contest
The Nex-Trex Plastic Film Recycling Program is Back!
Please see the flyer below for more information!
In an effort to minimize the potential spread of illness at school, please keep your child home if he/she:
- has a fever. Students should be fever-free for 24 hours without medication prior to returning to school.
- is nauseous or is vomiting.
- has diarrhea.
Art Supplies Needed!
Chromebook Insurance Information
Dropping Off Forgotten Items
Although we want your child(ren) to be successful in school and to have what they need to succeed, we also want your child(ren) to learn independence. We will continually work with your child(ren) on organizational methods if necessary. Just reach out!
National Junior Honor Society Information for Current 7th Grade Students
Membership in the National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) at Charles DeWolf Middle School is open to any seventh grade student who meets all the following membership requirements at the end of the third marking period in 2023:
- Has a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.70 in academic (social studies, language arts, math, science and Spanish) subjects, with no grade below a B- in any subject (including cycle classes) for ALL marking periods of the 2022-2023 school year.
- Demonstrates outstanding scholarship, leadership, service, character, and citizenship.
- Accumulates no more than six unexcused tardies. Tardies will only be considered excused if a doctor's note is submitted to the School Nurse.
- Accumulates no detentions related to behavior in violation of the CDW Code of Conduct.
- Performs eight hours of documented community service from a recognized nonprofit, community, or education organization from 9/1/2022-4/21/2023. Virtual service hours will no longer be accepted. Please note that there will be no extension of this date. Students should provide documentation on the organization’s letterhead when submitting their applications in April.
- Completes at least three marking periods of the 7th grade year at CDW (unless a student moves into district and has been inducted as a member in another district).
During the week of April 24, 2023, eligible students will be identified and invited to apply
for admission to the NJHS by email. An email will also be sent to parents of eligible
students. The induction ceremony will be held during the week of May 15, 2023 (subject to
Lunch at CDW
Students should either bring their lunch from home each day, or parents may order through one of the approved vendors for delivery to CDW. If you order lunch from an approved vendor for delivery, please make sure the vendor knows your child's first and last name and grade level. This will help to ensure your child receives their lunch on time. At times, we understand that a parent/guardian may need to drop off lunch at school. All lunches need to be placed on the table with the green tablecloth in the vestibule.
5th/6th Grade Lunch ~ 11:27AM-12:01 PM
7th/8th Grade Lunch ~ 12:10PM-12:44 PM
Morning Drop-Off and Afternoon Pick-Up at CDW
- Drop-off is on Interschool Drive. As soon as you reach the cones, please have your child(ren) exit the vehicle.
- For the safety of all students, we ask that you stay in your vehicle at drop-off and dismissal.
- Please do not use the upper faculty parking lot for drop-off/pick-up/or exiting of school grounds during school hours. CDW faculty and BOE-approved bus companies are the only vehicles permitted in the upper lot.
- Please do not park in any staff parking spots when dropping off or picking up students.
- Please do not exit your vehicle and leave your vehicle unattended on Interschool Drive.
- There will be adult supervision starting at 8:10 AM, and the doors will open at 8:20 AM. If there is inclement weather, students will be ushered into the school gymnasiums at 8:00 AM.
- The students in Grades 5 & 6 will line up on the blacktop in the back of the school near the basketball courts.
- The students in Grades 7 & 8 will line up on the blacktop by the 7th and 8th Grade Wing Exterior Door.
- Once you pull up to the cones on Interschool Drive, please have your child(ren) exit the vehicle. This allows many students to be dropped off at the same time and allows the line to move quickly.
- Please do not park in any staff parking spots when dropping off or picking up students.
- Please do not block any parking spots along the front side of the building at Pick-Up.
- Please arrange a meeting area with your child(ren) so that you can locate them efficiently.
- Please do not park and/or exit your vehicle regardless of your child(ren) being at TBD or CDW.
- Please do not block designated emergency lanes that connect TBD and CDW.
- Please use both lanes on Interschool Drive for Pick-Up. A staff member will be available to cross your child(ren).
General Traffic Rules Regarding Parking
- Never park in a "No Parking, Fire Lane." These lanes are designated with yellow paint in diagonal lines on the pavement along with the words, "No Parking Fire Lane."
- Never park along a curb that is painted yellow and leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not double park (park your vehicle beside another vehicle that is in a designated parking space).
Join the PTO!
Volunteers play a huge part in the PTO and what we are able to offer the students and teachers. Without volunteers, many of the programs that students, teachers, and families enjoy will not be able to happen. Volunteer descriptions can be found at: OTPTO.org under "More Info" and then "Flyers."
If you have interest in joining the PTO Board, joining or running a committee, or just want to learn more- please reach out to the PTO by visiting OTPTO.org and selecting "Contact Old Tappan PTO" under the Help tab.