Rolling Hills Express
Rolling Hills Engineering Academy Newsletter October 2019
Fall into Learning
The first six weeks is behind us. Report Cards go home this Friday! As you reflect on student performance, let us consider strengths as well as areas needing our attention. We will continue to celebrate success, while creating plans and employing strategies for growth in the Big 3, academics, behavior, and attendance.
Classroom teachers will contact you about any needed supports. Please take advantage of our upcoming Parent Conference Day on Friday, Oct. 11 to have an intentional conversation about your child's progress. Additionally, the single most important factor to launch our students' success is daily reading. Students must read, or be read to, for at least 20 minutes. Please include this in your nightly routine- dinner, bath, and read.
I am overjoyed to state that our student attendance rates are on the rise. Thank you for ensuring we hit our target of 97% attendance each day. Our early check-outs have declined as well. Remember, we need students at school from 8 am-3:30 pm each day to exceed our current "B" rating, and make strides to becoming an "A" rated campus.
Together Everyone Achieves More: Parents + Students + Educators
Principal Cherish Pipkins
"Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way."
Order the 2019-2020 Spirit Shirt!
Help RHE by participating in our Big Kahuna Fundraiser from September 27 - October 16.
Mark Your Calendars!
Wednesday, October 2 JEANtober begins
Friday, October 4 All Pro Dads Breakfast, 7 am-8 am
Friday, October 11 Parent Conference Day/No School for Students
Monday, October 14 Fair Day/No School
Saturday, October 19 LISD Hispanic Heritage Bowl at LHS
Monday, October 21 Fall Picture Day
Week of October 21 Red Ribbon Week
Monday, October 28 Staff Development/No School for Students
Wednesday, October 30 Read or Treat
October is JEANtober for RHE students
For the month of October, students paying $5 can wear:
Mondays- Dallas Cowboys shirt (after a win on Sunday) or uniform top with jeans
Tuesdays-uniform tops with jeans
Wednesdays-college shirts with jeans
Thursdays- uniform tops with jeans
Friday RHE/LISD spirit shirts with jeans
Students who do not pay $5 can only wear jeans on Friday, if they are wearing an RHE/LISD spirit shirt.
* Please note student must wear their standard uniform on School Picture Day, Monday, Oct. 21.
All Pro Dads Kicks off this Friday, October 4! Breakfast is $1.75. Please bring exact change.
RHE Parent Conferences are Friday, October 11
LISD Fair Day, Monday, October 14- No School
LISD Hispanic Heritage Bowl, Saturday, October 19 at Lancaster High School
Important Information from Nurse Sparrow
With the FLU season quickly approaching and general germs in the air I wanted to send a quick reminder that handwashing is our # 1 defense against germs. I have included a quick guide of a few common bugs and hand washing steps. HEALTHY students learn better and together we can help RHE stay healthy, increase attendance and continue to show that RHExcellence in and out of the classroom.
Help RHE! Complete your child's lunch application. Click the apple to begin.
Become an RHE Volunteer for 2019-2020. Click on the volunteer graphic below. We need You!
First Six Weeks RHExcellence
Congratulations to our Teacher of the Month, Mrs. Polk!
Congratulations to Staff Member of the Month, Mr. Adkism
We Celebrate our All-Star Students from September!
RHE Campus Improvement Plan Committee Meeting included staff, community members and parents.
Goodies with Grands on September 6
Honoring our First Responders on September 11- We Will NEVER Forget!
College Go Get it Week Highlights
"Geeked" about College
The RHE Family Breakfast was an enjoyable time
The AttenDANCE was a HIT!
RHExploration Launched September 23
Mrs. Remekie introduces the text, a read aloud from an astronaut
LISD Director of Blended Learning Mrs. Clark assists students
Elementary Science Coordinator Mrs. Malika supports student exploration
PTA Pep Rally brings PTA back to RHE!
Below are the lunch times:
PreK 10:30 am -11:00 am
Kindergarten 10:45 am- 11:15 am
1st Grade 11:10 am-11:40 am
2nd Grade 11:40 am-12:10 pm
3rd Grade 12:10 pm-12:40 pm
5th Grade 12:40 pm-1:10 pm
4th Grade 1:10 pm-1:40 pm
Wednesday Lunch Schedule
To allow teachers to meet by content and planning, we have a different schedule every other Wednesday. On those days, the lunch schedule is as follows:
PreK 10:40 am- 11:10 am
Kindergarten 10:55 am- 11:25 am
3rd Grade 11:25 am-11:55 am
4th Grade 11:55 am-12:25 pm
5th Grade 12:25 pm-12:55 pm
1st Grade 12:50 pm-1:20 pm
TC/2nd Grade 1:20 pm-1:50 pm
Click below to view the 2019-2020 LISD Calendar
· Safety is our top priority. Be sure you have your photo id, anytime you visit campus. You will be required to check-in at the office and receive a visitor’s pass.
· The front foyer is the designated goodbye station each morning. To ensure student safety, only RHE staff and students will walk the halls during morning intake. Friendly staff members are stationed to greet and escort children to class.
· A dismissal card is mandatory to pick up your child. If you forget your card, please check in at the office, with your photo id.
· Classes begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 3:30 p.m. We understand there are times when children miss school. If your child will be absent, please contact Registrar Ms. L. Smith at 972-218-1528. To maintain an orderly dismissal process, please note that children will not be checked out early after 3 p.m.
· We encourage partnerships with parents. Please come by to visit your child’s classroom to witness excellence in action. Parent observations are to last a maximum of 30 minutes. Parents will not interact with teachers or students during the observation time. Be sure to schedule a parent-teacher conference when you need to speak with the teacher.
· We will recognize students on their birthdays. You are welcome to bring packaged birthday treats for your child and all of their classmates. Birthday treats will be distributed at the end of day. Please contact your teacher to inform them about birthday visits.
· PK-5th students wear red, white, or blue collared shirts, tucked into khaki, black or navy bottoms. We will reinforce and remind students of the district dress code. As you prepare for cooler weather, note that appropriate sweaters, sweatshirts, or sweater vests worn inside the building are red, white, blue, or campus/LISD affiliated. Jackets, windbreakers, and coats are to be removed inside the building.
o Grade level information will come home on a weekly or monthly basis, based on the team. Be sure to sign up for your teacher’s Class Dojo or Remind to conveniently receive messages about class.
o RHE Campus newsletter will be shared at the beginning of each month.