Special Edition: Jaguar Band News
US Bands Austin Finale: By Parents, for Parents
Reminder of things you would want to know...
- MAKE SURE YOUR STUDENTS NAME IS ON UNIFORM ITEMS, INCLUDING SHOW SHIRT AND SHOES!
- You are welcome to send your student with snacks and money. You are also welcome to purchase food items for them. Just remember that band and guard members eat only when they are NOT in uniform.
- Students are encouraged to bring a blanket and pillow on long trips!
- Any electronic device that provides audio will be permitted only with earphones.
- There will be plenty of opportunities for you to take pictures of your child AFTER they compete. Directors just ask that when they are in "competition mode" (i.e. if they are walking in twos or getting ready for warm-up or competition) that you do not call out their names and ask them to pose. This is why we have volunteer photographers. They have rules they follow to not disturb the band while they are in "competition mode" and they have lenses that allow them not to be so close to the students while they are in this mode.
- Please continue to respect 'team moments' such as when the directors are speaking to the students or the SLT are conducting the PRIDE yell.
- Saturday will be a long day. Make sure your student is hydrating well on Friday!
- Friendly reminder that the boosters no longer provide medications such as Tylenol or Benadryl. If you believe your student may be in need of these items, please have them pack it. Students should not share medications.
Moe and Gene Johnson HS: Competition Day Schedules
Upon arrival at JHS, students will still need to put away instruments and properly turn in their uniforms. Boosters can always use help unloading the Gold instrument trailer and/or turning in uniforms! The more help, the faster it is all done! Please feel free to walk on up and jump in! None of it is hard and we are always happy to help you learn!
About US Bands Austin Finale
CLASSIFICATION – GROUP SIZE
USBands classification for participating ensembles is based on the total number of performers, not the size of the student population at their school. This count includes playing members, auxiliary (color guard, majorettes, etc.), and command personnel (drum majors, guard captains, etc.). This does not include members of an American Flag Section or Honor Guard when these members do not move or otherwise add to the effect of the program. 2022 Groups sizes are as follows:
For all groups participating in Texas events
Group I 1 - 59
Group II 60 - 99
Group III 100 - 139
Group IV 140 - 169
Group V 170+
*For Prelims, Moe and Gene JHS is classified as Group V. There will be one other band in this group: William Howard Taft HS (SA)
USBands utilizes a 5-Box criteria system on all adjudication sheets. Sample sheets are available online at www.usbands.org. The ‘standard captions’ that make up the judging systems are as follows: Music Individual, Music Ensemble, Visual, Music Effect, and Visual Effect.
THESE ARE THE ONLY AWARDS, IN ADDITION TO PLACEMENTS, TO BE PRESENTED AT A USBANDS SANCTIONED EVENT:
The following awards will be presented within each group and each class:
- Best Music: Awarded to the ensemble with the highest average score in the two Music captions.
- Best Visual: Awarded to the ensemble with the highest score in the Visual caption.
- Best Overall Effect: Awarded to the ensemble with the highest average score in the two Overall Effect captions.
- Best Percussion (not included in a Silver Showcase Event): Awarded to the ensemble with the highest score awarded by the Percussion adjudicator.
- Best Color Guard (not included in a Silver Showcase Event): Awarded to the ensemble with the highest score awarded by the Color Guard adjudicator.
MAPS & MORE
See Event Flow Map
Prop Assignments are updated in the Pit Crew Google spreadsheet: make sure you are on the correct tab!
US Bands doesn't have any rules against eating at our trailers! Tina Cuellar will send out a signup genius soon so that we can have our annual "The Crew Potluck". All game and competition volunteers are welcome to join! Let's celebrate an amazing season!