Oak Ridge Connection
March 13, 2015
Message from the Principal
Thank you for another eventful but great week. It is wonderful to see so many parents coming in as guest readers. This week during our professional development late start our teachers spent time reviewing materials for the M-STEP test. We want our 3-5 grade students to feel comfortable taking this new test so they give their best performance. Third grade did a a fabulous job at their music concert on Thursday. I enjoyed seeing many of our third grade parents supporting their child. Continue to work with your child at home to get their best effort. Encourage them to do a little more today than they did the previous day. This is how we build success. Thank you and have a great weekend.
Dr. Jason Parrott
Learning In Action
Mrs. Mann's Kindergarten Class
Mrs. Mann's kindergarten class listening to a read aloud for March is Reading Month.
Mrs. Karczewski's First Grade Class
Mrs. Karczewski's first grade class sharing their favorite book with their reading partner.
Student Senators meeting with their committees.
Mrs. Mann's Kindergarten Class
Mrs. Karczewski's First Grade Class
Mrs. Kosnik's Third Grade Class
Mrs. Kosnik's third grade class meeting in book clubs.
Mrs. Fletcher's Fourth Grade Class
Mrs. Fletcher's fourth grade class meeting in book clubs.
Mrs. Granett's Fifth Grade Class
Mrs. Granett's fifth grade class implementing writing strategies to improve their assignments.
From the desk of the PTA...
The Oak Ridge PTA is excited to share the new, easier to access weekly newsletter! The newsletter will now be live on the PTA website at www.ptaoakridge.com (see the Newsletter top tab) and can be read quickly on your mobile phone, tablet or computer, and we are currently providing a printable version too. Check the website whenever you need PTA or event info!
Access the newsletter directly at http://www.ptaoakridge.com/newsletter.html
Daddy Daughter Dance
The Daddy Daughter Dance is April 17th, from 7-9 pm Come "Dance Through the Decades" with us. For more information click here: http://bit.ly/1xihm9H.
Found iPAD Mini
We found an iPad Mini at the skating event on Wednesday. The iPad is password protected so we do not know who it belongs to. If you lost an iPad Mini, please contact the office.
News and Notes
In an effort to improve system practices, Royal Oak Schools is conducting a parent survey. We value your opinion and ask that you take the time to complete the survey. In order to complete the survey, please go to:
Please be assured that your responses to this survey will be anonymous. Your honest opinion is appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. Please complete a survey for each one of the schools that your children attend before March 31, 2015. Thank you.
Open Carry Laws
Due to recent events, we have had many questions regarding open carry laws. Below are excerpts from an article on Mlive.com titled, "6 Facts about Michigan open carry laws and guns in school."
Facts about Michigan open carry law and guns in schools
- Open carry is legal in Michigan schools for individuals with valid concealed pistol licenses. It is illegal for an individual without a concealed pistol license to carry a firearm on school property.
- People with a CPL (concealed pistol license) cannot carry a concealed firearm on school property. Open carry is the only option available to them if they wish to carry a firearm.
- State law MCL28.4250, prohibits CPL holders from carrying concealed weapons in nine designated pistol-free zones, including schools. However, the law allows parents or legal guardians dropping off or picking up a child to keep a firearm inside their vehicle.
- State law MCL 750.237a makes it a 93 day misdemeanor to possess a weapon at schools, which are designated as weapon free zones. However, the law does not apply to security personnel hired by the district, peace officers, those with permission from the school's administration or people with a CPL.
- In December, 2012, Gov. Snyder vetoed legislation that would have allowed CPL holders who went through extended training to carry concealed firearms in schools.
- Competing bills introduced in 2013 sought to change the law regarding firearms in schools. Rep. Andy Schor, D-Lansing, who introduced HB 4104 in January, said his bill would create "true gun-free zones" that would prevent indivuduals from taking guns into schools, while State Sen. Mike Green , R-Mayville, introduced SB112 in January that would have allowed for the carrying of concealed weapons in schools provided the chief executive of the school or school board authorizes the presence of concealed weapons on school property. Both bills are stalled in committee.
All City Band and Orchestra
The All City Band (3/17) and All City Orchestra (3/18) will both be taking place in a couple of weeks at Royal Oak High School at 7:00 in the evening. It is a great chance to get an idea of what our music program has to offer for the older kids.
INCOMING 6TH GRADE PARENT MEETING
Royal Oak Middle School would like to invite 5th grade parents to attend a Scheduling, Student Life, and Instrumental Music parent night on March 19 from 6-7pm; immediately following, ROMS will be holding our Open House from 7-8pm so parents will have an opportunity to tour the school and meet the staff. We will cover the scheduling process, transition to middle school, and review students' arts choices as they prepare to become 6th graders. For students or parents already considering instrumental music, please be aware that instrument fittings are scheduled for March 24th and 26th at ROMS with more information available on Mr. Kohring's website: http://bit.ly/ROMSInstMusic
We look forward to seeing you!
WE HAVE SOLD OUT OF SMENCILS!! THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR SUPPORTING THE OAK RIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOLARSHIP FUND!!!
OAK RIDGE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION IS NOW AVAILABLE IN THE HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELING OFFICE FOR SENIORS WHO ATTENDED OAK RIDGE ELEMENTARY. THE APPLICATION IS DUE TO THE OAK RIDGE OFFICE NO LATER THAN MAY 1, 2015.
March 17 - Green Bagel Sale($1.00) for St. Patrick's Day (proceeds to the Oak Ridge Scholarship fund)
March 19 - Fun Picture Day (only for those who want to participate)
March 24, 6:30-8:00 pm Open House
March 25 (Wed.)-Safety Recreation-3:45- 4:30 p.m.-Gym
March 31st- Battle of the Books
April 3-10 Spring Recess
April 14 Bagel Sale
May 12 Bagel Sale
May 12 Dentist R US follow up visit
June 11 Last Day for students- full day
Professional Development Late Start Days