We Are Together Tamanend!
February 1, 2019
CB Save the Music Concert a Great Success!
The CB Save the Music Concert was a great success this weekend at Holicong Middle School. Mr. Sanchez, Mr. Werner, and members of Chieftain Chorus, Gold’n’Blues, and Jazz Band joined other CB teachers and students in performing three sold-out concerts to energetic crowds. The final donation amount is still being determined, but we are hopeful that we have reached our goal of $35,000 to provide a restricted donation that will provide a music program for a school in New Orleans once again this year.
2019 Tamanend Geography Bee
On Monday, January 28, 700 7th and 8th Graders packed the Tamanend Auditorium to witness an exciting geographic competition! Ten contestants sat on stage and faced round after round of high-level questions regarding our country and the globe. After a dramatic sudden-death playoff to determine a third-place winner (Klement Swartz), finalists Joe Lee and Aashish Cheruvu faced off in the Championship Round. Congratulations to Joe Lee who will move on to take the state qualifying test. Congratulations to all of our participants!
Tamanend Teachers Collaborate wth Dow Scientists
Tamanend Science teachers Mrs. Erika Gamble and Mr. Paul Eisold attended the Dow Educator Tour and STEM Workshop last week. The purpose of the workshop was to help science educators connect STEM classroom concepts with real world applications.
Great Winter Pep Rally, Tamanend!
This Week's Teen Talk
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years.
This week's Teen Talk topic: Vaping
The Bucks County Drug & Alcohol Commission has created a toolkit to help parents and schools talk to adolescents about vaping. Click here to access the toolkit.
8th Graders Present Supreme Court Cases
8th grade Advanced Social Studies students presented their Supreme Court cases involving student rights. In collaborate partnerships, students researched primary and secondary case sources—including Supreme Court Justice audio, transcripts, and the others—to answer a simple question: What rights do students have? Over six days they dug through evidence, crafted visuals, honed public speaking skills, and finally presented their case to the class. Mr. Landis and Mrs. McFarland are proud of their scholarship, but more importantly the curiosity and application that occurred during the activity. Great job students!
Reminder--Join Us for Kelly Anne Dolan Day at Tamanend on Saturday, February 23!
Please consider joining us for the following Kelly Anne Dolan fundraisers:
Feb. 5 & 12 from 11:00-10:00 @ UNO’s in Warrington
Feb. 21 from 4:00-8:00 @ Panera in Warrington
Tamanend Players to Perform at Broadway Cares
Come out to support the Tamanend Players who will perform as part of the Broadway Cares Concert on February 13 at 7:00 PM in the CB West Auditorium. CB Alumni and Broadway veterans Jenny Lee Stern and Justin Guarini will be acting as emcees for the night.
Reminder--Program Planning for 2019-2020
Program Planning for the 2019-2020 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 3--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders
- January 4--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 10--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 18--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 18 to February 3--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 31--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 8--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 7th Graders
- February 26--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 5--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 8th Graders
6th Grade Parents Middle School Orientation
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Tamanend Parent Book Club Meeting--Tuesday, February 5 at 6:30 PM in Tamanend Library
Kelly Anne Dolan Fundraisers--Tuesday, February 5 and Tuesday, February 12 from 11:00 AM--10:00 PM at Uno's Warrington; Thursday, February 21 from 4:00 PM--8:00 PM at Panera in Warrington
No school for students--Thursday, February 14 & Friday, February 15
Presidents' Day (school holiday)--Monday, February 18
6th Grade Parents Middle School Orientation--Tuesday, February 19 at 7:00 PM in Tamanend Auditorium
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Day & Basketball Fundraiser--Saturday, February 23
Athletic Department Updates
Good luck and congratulations to the following cheerleaders who will be travelling to the UCA High School Nationals event held February 8 through 10: Kenzie Devine, Jayden Drea, Nikki Jacobsen, Ella Murray, Olivia Resch, and Brielle Wilbourne. The National High School Cheerleading Championship (NHSCC) is the most prestigious cheerleading championship in the country. The NHSCC is held at the Walt Disney World® Resort in Orlando, Florida, and nationally televised on ESPN and ESPN2 to over 100 million homes and 32 countries nationwide each year. In 2018, we had the honor of hosting over 800 teams, 15,000 athletes and 50,000 attendees at the National High School Cheerleading Championship.
FROM CB SOUTH:
- There will be a parent meeting for boys who are interested in playing lacrosse at CB South. It will be held in CB South’s Forum Room on Wednesday, February 6th at 7:00.
- ImPact testing for Spring sports will be held on February 13 in the CB South Forum Room. Track and Field, Boys Tennis, and Boys Lacrosse start at 3:00. Baseball and Softball start at 3:45, and Girls Lacrosse and Boys Volleyball start at 4:30.
Athletic Department Schedule
- 7th Grade boys basketball at Lenape (3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade boys basketball vs. Holland (Home; 3:15)
- 7th Grade boys basketball at Holicong (3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 8th Grade boys basketball at Klinger (3:30); bus leaves at 2:20
- No games
Reminder--Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
Reminder--Tamanend Spirit Wear
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is February 5
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at email@example.com if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal email@example.com
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse firstname.lastname@example.org
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Reminder--Parent Positive Presentation-Healthy Transitions from Elementary to Middle to High School
iSmart Parenting Presentation Sponsored by NOVA
Thursday, Feb. 21st, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900